Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: dodging a bullet...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:56 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

So I went to bed around 1am...was exhausted, but kept thinking about life's twists and turns and it was tough getting to sleep. I ordered a pizza and some soda around 10:30 to eat, but only had one slice. I was off, that's for sure.

I woke up around 5am to go to the bathroom, and after getting out of bed took two steps and all of a sudden I'm in water. All the way around the hall to the bathroom. Soaked carpet, rugs, etc.

This morning I'm awakened at 7:30 to someone knocking on the door of the place above me. In a haze still, I hear a guy outside talking about leaks, so I got out of bed, opened my door and asked what he was talking about. He asked if I had water in my place, and I said yes.

Turns out the upstairs woman's water heater's bottom fell off, and everything leaked down thru the walls and into my place. The whole freakin' thing! The water restoration guys were just here, and they're coming back with equipment. My dad is NOT happy (I'm buying the condo from him), but thankfully none of my stuff stored in the closet (everything I've been buying vintage-wise) was damaged. I would have given up on life if that had happened.

Can you believe this crap? I did a TON of work yesterday (moving furniture, cleaning, stuff from storage, etc.) to get this place somewhat liveable for me now that I've accepted the fact I won't be living with my girlfriend for a while, and then destruction.

How do I go about getting insurance for my stuff? Anyone have this already? If so, whom do you go through?

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:25 am 
Cold-cast

If you are renting, you should get renter's insurance from your provider. It covers anything (documented) in your home. Talk to them about specifics. It's not expensive and would cover anything damaged. You could probably get individual insurance for just your toys, but it could be cost prohibitive. Not sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:58 am 
Fugitive Dust

Wow, that's fortunate that nothing vintage got damaged, I had the same thing happen this year except the person upsatirs was me improperly installing a dishwasher. Damage was minimal (and to my Micronaut comics) but aggrevating.

I have it in my home owners insurance, just have to keep a documented record of what you have.

Post subject: Re: dodging a bullet...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:44 am 
Knows his stuff

marillion wrote:
I woke up around 5am to go to the bathroom, and after getting out of bed took two steps and all of a sudden I'm in water. All the way around the hall to the bathroom. Soaked carpet, rugs, etc.

This morning I'm awakened at 7:30 to someone knocking on the door of the place above me. In a haze still, I hear a guy outside talking about leaks, so I got out of bed, opened my door and asked what he was talking about. He asked if I had water in my place, and I said yes.

So you got up place was soaked and you went back to be for 2 1/2 hrs to be woken up?

i would have been up trying to make sure it did not get worse or called someone. Why did you go back to bed if the place was so bad off?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:21 am 
Factory Worker

When I was single and renting an apartment I had renter's insurance on all of my collectibles. I provided a list of each item along with photos etc.

I'm not certain what is required but that is what I did for All State insurance. It was just called renters insurance and it wasn't too expensive. I believe that any time I added to the collection I had to update the documentation that I provided.

Of course that was over 10 years ago....I'm sure things have changed.

F.Y.I. I am looking for old Batman/Superman animated figures. I need Killer Croc, Manbat, Ventriliquist, Alfred, Riddler and Lois Lane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:28 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll look into renter's insurance.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:55 pm 
proverbial old fart

It is a bit of a pain, but make a detailed list and take photos and store it in a safe deposit box.

Also, Chubb has collectors insurance and the rates are not outlandish.

Sorry to hear about your problem, Chip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:01 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Well, the downside is my dad and I have to make all the repairs ourselves, but the upside is I get to paint my place the way I want it.

Anyone have color suggestions? :D

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:46 am 
Former King of Posts

Avoid red and black. When I lived in the dorm they were the two colors you were NOT allowed to paint your room. Why? Red makes people angry and Black makes them depressed. At least that was the reason they gave and it stuck with me.

sorry to hear about the damage. Renter's insurance is the thing to get if you are renting and have stuff you care about. I think condo's are like apartments except you own the unit. In that case, you need homeowners insurance.

Anything special like collectables, memoriabilia, tools (if you are an electrician, carpenter, plumber, welder, etc you might have a significant investment in tools) that you have are usually covered by add ons to the basic policy. One term is "optional coverages". Make sure you ask about them when getting a quote.

Also, if you are getting homeowners, be sure to ask about a combination policy for your car & home/condo. Most insurers give a discount for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:54 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm definitely looking into this within the next month.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject: Re: dodging a bullet...
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:17 pm 
Prototype

kastor417 wrote:
marillion wrote:

So you got up place was soaked and you went back to be for 2 1/2 hrs to be woken up?

i would have been up trying to make sure it did not get worse or called someone. Why did you go back to bed if the place was so bad off?

I was thinking the same thing. I wouldn't be able to sleep if that happened to me.