Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Star Trek Mispackage
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:34 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I saw the segment on aots yesterday, and figured this might be a good spot to ask this. I have a Capt. Picard figure from the First Contact movie. It's a tall one, but I don't know much about standard sizes. I would guess between 6" and 12". What makes this interesting (at least to me) is that it has a Cmdr. LaForge backing on the package. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me about it. For instance, did they have a lot go out like that, or would this be rather rare? What might something like this be worth? And in general, what kind of care should I give my figures if I want to keep them in good condition (for both in and out of the package)?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Star Trek Mispackage
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:43 am 
Daniel Pickett

Hi Cryofpaine!

Welcome to AFi!

All of the ST: First Contact figures were in a new 6" scale that was unlike the rest of Playmates Trek figures... that didn't make fans happy to have this new scale.

These sorts of mis-packs are fairly common, and don't really affect the value of a figure. There are some collectors that enjoy oddities like that, and that might pay a slight premium, but it's not going to put your kids through college or anything, Most hardcore carded collectors just consider them to be errors and actually like them less than the normal figure on it's correct card.

As far as keeping your figures in good condition (in and out of package) is to keep them out of direct sunlight, and if you are storing them or displaying them keep them in a cool, dry place. Moisture is a killer as it will warp cards/packaging and too much heat will also start to breakdown the plastic on the figure and the bubble on the card.

Post subject: Re: Star Trek Mispackage
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:03 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Thanks for the info. I guess it's a good thing I don't have any kids (plus I don't have to share my toys). :)

I really just collect what I like, not for any investment value. The only reason this is still in the package is because of the extra oddity value. Of course, if someone wanted to offer a couple grand for it, I sure wouldn't say no. :lol:

For years, most of my figures were in a box in the garage, since I didn't have room. Since they were out of their packages, I just kept them in zip-top sandwich bags. That seems to have done a decent job of keeping them from damage, but I'm glad they're inside out of the elements now.

Thanks again,
Jonathan