Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Buffy Library - is it worth it?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:24 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Been considering getting the Buffy Library set to use as a backdrop for photographing figures. None of the local stores got it in that I'm aware of and it looks like it will cost me between $45 and $50 shipped (which I know is cheaper than the $60 suggested retail) from eBay. I'm just wondering if anybody here has one and get some opinions on the value of the thing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:31 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Just commenting...

Ive also thought about getting this. But not for the $40/$45 price tag the guys on amazon want for it.
Thought about getting it as a base for my Buffy figures.
But from what Ive read, this thing is HUGE. I dont display my figures, and I have no shelves, and this thing is so big you cant just have it laying around like other toys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:35 pm 
Daniel Pickett

I know SD Comics has one that he uses to shoot photos on all the time. Looks great. I keep meaning to get one at some point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:43 am 
Fugitive Dust

True, it does take up a shelf all by itself, but the detail is great and the set can serve as a diorama for so many places: Avengers mansion, Xavier School, Wayne Manor, Dr. Strange townhouse, Dr. Fate tower, Osbourne house, Rand estate, etc. etc.

I got one from ebay for around $35 plus shipping. I remember those Simpsons playsets costing $29.99 at retail, so getting this $60 MSRP set (which is MUCH bigger and better) is not too bad at those prices.

Here's a few ways I've used it so far:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:18 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Thanks for the pics, brebro, that helped sell the set a lot (as have SD Comics' pics). I should have been more specific in the question because I know that the set *looks* great but how sturdy is it? If I got one I'm not sure that it would have a permenant home and it might get moved around quite a bit, would the set hold up to handling like that? I guess I'm just worried that the construction on it is cheap like the Star Wars playsets or those horribly over-priced Barbie houses I used to have to build when I worked at TRU...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:45 pm 
Fugitive Dust

It comes disassembled and you have to put the various sections together. So it could therefore be taken apart for easier moving or storage as well, I suppose.

It comes with a number of cardboard panels, held on by plastic pegs, that go in the back to seal off the unsightly "underneath the bleachers" look of the tiered pieces and, I imagine, to add extra support in the back.

I don't know, I suppose it is a sturdy as something made of plastic, felt and cardboard could reasonably be expected to be. I wouldn't stack anything heavy on top of it though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:42 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic

brebro wrote:
It comes with a number of cardboard panels, held on by plastic pegs, that go in the back to seal off the unsightly "underneath the bleachers" look of the tiered pieces and, I imagine, to add extra support in the back.

I don't know, I suppose it is a sturdy as something made of plastic, felt and cardboard could reasonably be expected to be. I wouldn't stack anything heavy on top of it though.

Wow!!...

No offense to DST or yall,

But that so changed my mind on even thinking about getting this. Sounds more like an expensive piece of cardboard than a real playset.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:41 pm 
active in the community

From memory (when I built my own), the only cardboard is at the "back" of the base which is never seen.

It's also on a completely irrelevant part of the base (basically it just helps "fill" the gap between the upstairs section and your shelf/table that the base sits on).

I paid full price for the library (in AUS $) and I was happy with it (not so happy that six months later I found it for half-price). The only issue I have with the playset is that the bookshelves on the lower portion just have "stickers" for the books, whereas I expected the book spines to have been "sculpted".

BUT with figures posed in front of them, it isn't even noticeable.

And it can fit a lot of figures. I have all my Buffy and Angel figures posed on the playset (in excess of 25) and while it is cramped, they all fit and there is still room for more (if DST were making more that is).

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:08 am 
Fugitive Dust

That's true, the cardboard/paperboard pieces are unseen in the back and the rest is sturdy plastic. I wouldn't have paid $60 for it, but I think $35-$45 is a good price relative to what other playsets/environments cost or what it would cost to build something similar yourself.