Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Shantastic's Super Robots, Super Crowded
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:10 am 
active in the community

Hey AFI members! Joined this forum recently as I have been on a huge JLU figure kick since April. I've been a longtime action figure collector, however, the previous 5+ yrs. I had been pretty much only collecting Japanese super robots. Mostly new toys from nostalgic shows from my childhood (the late 1970's to mid-1980's.) Unfortunately, I currently have a small living space, so things are quite crowded & not quite how I want things, but until then, here's how it looks:

The top of the bookshelf:

Right below the top of the shelf:

Right below that:

The top of the shelf, starting from left to right:

The next shelf down, again going left to right:

Next shelf below:

The next shelf down has a bootleg Lionbot / Voltron & some statues of Go Nagai's Super Robot heroines which is already pictured earlier in this post, so I'll skip to the bottom shelf:

Moving along to some other areas:

Hard to tell that I'm a JLU fan, huh? Unfortunately, all but 4 of my JLU figures are sitting in sterilite containers, cuz of a lack of display space. Bonus points if you can find the few on display. Haha.

Thanks for stopping by!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:57 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I love seeing the random non_Super Robot toys intermingled in there completely at random.

Fonzie on the top of the case, Spiderman, The JLU Captain Marvel and Mary Marvel, A Sneaker (whose is it by the way?), JLU Green Arrow and Black Canary ...

Among all those Japanese toys is such a wonderful little treasure hunt.

Where do you get your imports from? Any sites you would recommend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:37 pm 
active in the community

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
I love seeing the random non_Super Robot toys intermingled in there completely at random.

Fonzie on the top of the case, Spiderman, The JLU Captain Marvel and Mary Marvel, A Sneaker (whose is it by the way?), JLU Green Arrow and Black Canary ...

Among all those Japanese toys is such a wonderful little treasure hunt.

Thanks! The randomness began at first due to limited space issues, but because everything is so crowded, it just kind of became fun to start dropping things in that don't necessarily fit in. The Fonz tends to get the most compliments. Haha.

Even though it seems random, the Spider-man strangely enough is suppose to go there. That Spidey is from the Japanese live-action Spider-man series from the 1970's, where they gave him a race car and a cheesey power rangers style giant robot. It's as hilarious as it sounds.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MxGtH-2duM[/youtube]

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
A Sneaker (whose is it by the way?)

The autographed sneaker is from Washington Wizards guard, Gilbert Arenas. :D

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
Where do you get your imports from? Any sites you would recommend?

Hobbylinkjapan or http://www.hlj.com is the big one. I tend to get most of my stuff from http://www.angolz.com. Good prices, but not good at returning emails, and wait times for pre-orders can be long. They've been very reliable for me though.

2 others that I have no experience with personally, but have on good authority that they are very reliable are http://www.toy-wave.com & http://www.betatoys.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:46 pm 
Benevolent Barkeep, Bouncer, Bulwark

Cool collection! Thanks for posting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:17 pm 
proverbial old fart

That is a damn fine collection! Very impressive! Thank you for sharing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:14 am 
Daniel Pickett

This is awesome. I love the Star Blazers stuff (or Spacecruiser Yamatto). that was one of my favorite shows growing up and it's one of the few things that I don't have ANY toys of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:14 am 
PVC

Nice collection dude. I love this piece by Bruce Timm. Where did you get it and how much did it cost?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:39 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Star Blazers ROCKED!

I spent most of 2nd grade drawing battle scenes between the Spaceship Yamamoto and the Comet Empire!

That piqued my interest in Anime, but it was Robotech that closed the deal.

I would love to watch Star Blazers again. Any idea where I could see/buy it? I know it won't be as cool as I remember, but still, I haven't seen any of that show in almost 30 years!

Trade Rating +55 and counting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:30 pm 
active in the community

darth_helios wrote:
Nice collection dude. I love this piece by Bruce Timm. Where did you get it and how much did it cost?

This is actually just a t-shirt I bought and had autographed by Bruce Timm & Paul Dini at a Wonder-con way back in 1998, if I remember correctly. The framing was more expensive than the item. Haha.

Shellhead wrote:
Star Blazers ROCKED!

I spent most of 2nd grade drawing battle scenes between the Spaceship Yamamoto and the Comet Empire!

That piqued my interest in Anime, but it was Robotech that closed the deal.

I would love to watch Star Blazers again. Any idea where I could see/buy it? I know it won't be as cool as I remember, but still, I haven't seen any of that show in almost 30 years!

Nice! My elementary school days were also filled with drawings of Star Blazers! There are dvd box sets available online for each series. Star Blazers series dvd's can also be found on Netflix, and the theartrical films are also on Netflix under Space Battleship Yamato (English subtitled only.) Unfortunately, all the US dvd releases are in dire need of audio & video remastering. A group called Village Video Anime have taken the clean Japanese dvd releases and added the English Star Blazers dub. Torrents of those can be found pretty easily, and I think they're on youtube as well.

Shellhead wrote:
I know it won't be as cool as I remember, but still, I haven't seen any of that show in almost 30 years!

Tell ya what, Shellhead, Star Blazers does hold up 30 yrs. later! In fact, you may end up enjoying the series now even more, as some of the adult aspects of the series will be more evident now than when we were watching as kids. I would also recommend tracking down Space Battleship Yamato: The Making of an Anime Legend. It's a one of a kind English language documentary that tells the history of the series in Japan. It's narrated by the original voice of Wildstar, and is amazing in its detail.

JuliusMarx wrote:
This is awesome. I love the Star Blazers stuff (or Spacecruiser Yamatto). that was one of my favorite shows growing up and it's one of the few things that I don't have ANY toys of.

What I said above goes for you too. Haha. Anyone who has ever been a fan needs to at least have one Yamato toy, big or small. While not as abundant as toys for Macross/Robotech, Yamato toys are still made today, and range from inexpensive to high-end depending on your taste.

Thanks to everyone who dropped by with their kind compliments! :D

Last edited by shantastic on Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:36 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

I have to agree... Starblazer rocked!

"Fighting with the Gamelons, we won't stop until we've won. Then we'll return and when we arrive... The earth will survive with... our ... Star... Blaazeeeerrrrrssss!!!" :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:38 pm 
PVC

I quite like your collection also! I'm a big fan of super robots/giant mecha/etc. Growing up, it was Superfriends, Spidey and his Amazing Friends, then alllllll giant mecha stuff, as much as I can find, all I can find, no matter when it was on or what was on. Didn't have Starblazers on when I grew up (sadly), but I still appreciate it (and wouldn't mind a battleship Yamato myself, of some kind, got any nice recommendations?)

The majority of your stuff seems to be Jumbo Machinders I think? Or Shogun Warriors? I like the Leopardon, that's one thing on my list to grab just cause it's a Spider-Man giant mecha. Good stuff, and the 'main' shelf w/all the robots looks crowded, but in an awesome, super robot goodness sort of way.

Also, is it just me, or does no one really do blue skinned evil space empires anymore? Voltron had the two different ones in Lion and Vehicle enemies, Yamato had the Comet Empire, I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting another from the 80s at least that was in the USA. We don't have much anymore. Last blue space aliens I recall is the band for the Daft Punk music video from awhile back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:02 pm 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

The Fonz, Mazinger Z, DC characters, Spidey, dozens of Japanese toys, and I think I even see Muttley in there. Such a diverse collection has got to look cool on display. Congratulations! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:06 am 
active in the community

Transfotaku wrote:
I quite like your collection also! I'm a big fan of super robots/giant mecha/etc. Growing up, it was Superfriends, Spidey and his Amazing Friends, then alllllll giant mecha stuff, as much as I can find, all I can find, no matter when it was on or what was on. Didn't have Starblazers on when I grew up (sadly), but I still appreciate it (and wouldn't mind a battleship Yamato myself, of some kind, got any nice recommendations?)

Thanks for the kind words. Superfriends, as well as Spider-man & His Amazing Friends bring back some awesome Saturday morning memories for me. Growing up in San Francisco in the late 1970's/early 80's we had a show on KTVU Channel 2 called, "Captain Cosmic," starring the late, great Bob Wilkins. It was a weekly afternoon show where the good captain would bring us sci-fi programs from Japan like, Star Blazers, the original Ultraman, Space Giants, Johnny Sokko & His Flying Robot, Godzilla, and many others. I may sound like an old fart for this, but these kids today are really missing out. Haha.

As for your question about attaining a Yamato: At the end of October, Bandai is re-releasing the BPX-01 Soul of Popynica Yamato. It should be available on most online import toy shops for pre-order, as well as Big Bad Toy Store. However, it's on the expensive side as I've seen the pre-orders anywhere between $205-$240 USD before shipping costs. That's the one I have sitting on my top shelf. A must have for big fans of Star Blazers, but worth waiting for a price cut, and not overpaying for it. It does have some definite flaws, but overall it's a really nice display piece. It is very fragile, and the small little antennas scare me, because I feel like I will lose some down the road. I have trouble retracting one of the wings which I heard is fairly common, and the lack of die-cast is very disappointing considering the price (I paid half as much for an Aoshima Captain Harlock Arcadia, and that is a die-cast brick!) Despite the flaws, it's beautiful, and does have very cool sound & lights features (the wave motion gun is awesome. haha.)

Understandably, that might be too expensive during a recession, but there are options. Taito makes a plastic "Super Mechanics" version of the Yamato that can be found for pretty reasonable prices on "evil"bay--err ebay (usually around $50 US, with shipping included.) While not quite as nice and detailed as the BPX-01, it's only slightly smaller, all plastic, but a much more fun and inexpensive alternative. There's also a wave motion gun trigger sold separately for this one that you can connect for the sound & lights effect. There's also a lot of smaller gashapon versions of the Yamato out there that can be had for cheaper. Hope that helps.

Transfotaku wrote:
Also, is it just me, or does no one really do blue skinned evil space empires anymore? Voltron had the two different ones in Lion and Vehicle enemies, Yamato had the Comet Empire, I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting another from the 80s at least that was in the USA. We don't have much anymore. Last blue space aliens I recall is the band for the Daft Punk music video from awhile back.

And of course Daft Punk's aliens were blue, because they were designed by the legendary, Leiji Matsumoto, who was the artistic force behind...Star Blazers! :D

Lt. Clutch wrote:
The Fonz, Mazinger Z, DC characters, Spidey, dozens of Japanese toys, and I think I even see Muttley in there. Such a diverse collection has got to look cool on display. Congratulations!

Thanks, and yes, that is indeed Muttley in there! Haha. Good eyes. I love that weezie-laughing dog. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:00 pm 
PVC

Captain Cosmic sounds awesome. I was born in 76, so was a bit late for the late 70s anime, and being born outside Philly on the east coast definitely didn't help any. I didn't even get "Force Five" there!

BUT! I did definitely catch Voltron, Robotech, G-Force (and NOT Battle of the Planets) and the rest of the 80s anime at least. I feel sorry for the kids today too. They think anime started in the 90s w/Pokemon. Little do they know anime's been in the USA since Astro Boy in the 60s, and really big in the late 70s to mid 80s.

Soul of Popynica is the Yamato I was looking at, actually. Even though I try not to do model kits whenever possible, it just looks so nice. Thanks for the news about the reissue, I was looking for old stuff! However...it seems the $50 alternative is more my thing. Definitely going to look that up.

Leiji's awesome. Also, I think Daft Punk are fans of the old school anime like Yamato et al also, which is probably why they got Leiji to do their animated video. Too bad more American bands don't do stuff like that. :)

Must be hard though to grab the books and stuff on your shelf w/those guys hanging there. I know it's annoying for me and I don't have so much on my shelf at any one time (I'm a swapper, I need to swap my displays in and out due to lack of display space).

Thanks for sharing the pics. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:27 pm 
active in the community

Transfotaku wrote:
Soul of Popynica is the Yamato I was looking at, actually. Even though I try not to do model kits whenever possible, it just looks so nice. Thanks for the news about the reissue, I was looking for old stuff! However...it seems the $50 alternative is more my thing. Definitely going to look that up.

Don't count out the SOP Yamato if you can get it for a good price. I got mine for $219 (total w/shipping,) the 2nd time it was re-issued, and by the time sellers were clearing out their inventory after it had been out for sometime, I saw it for as low as $150 before shipping. It may be worth waiting it out, and eventually picking it up after it's been out for a while and the price drops.

Unlike the behemoth 1/350 scale Yamato that was fully-functional & selling for $500+, the SOP version is not a model kit, so no gluing/sanding/painting is required. A little bit of assembly is required with some parts that would probably break if they were already connected, but nothing major. However, you can't go wrong with the Taito Super Mechanics version. I also have that one with the wave motion gun attachment, and it is very cool, and very reasonably priced.

Transfotaku wrote:
Must be hard though to grab the books and stuff on your shelf w/those guys hanging there. I know it's annoying for me and I don't have so much on my shelf at any one time (I'm a swapper, I need to swap my displays in and out due to lack of display space).

Haha. That's why I strategically keep the larger, more static statues in front of my reference & art books, as well as behind the big shoe display, and on the bottom shelf where there are few toys, so things are a little bit easier to get to. When I eventually get a larger place, I definitely need actual display cases, cuz when it comes time to dust these things, it's generally a nightmare.