Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: AdultCollector's MOTUC Photos
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:30 pm 
active in the community

Incredibly impressed with this Classics-sized two-part print of the exact artwork created by Mark Taylor used in the original prototype of Castle Grayskull! Matt provided by The Power and The Honor Foundation. Also available as a vintage sized print!
Very high quality paper stock and ink really make the colors pop. I splurged on two-day shipping for this. Trying now to decide whether to cut and mount this on foamcore or some other hard material, or to have it laminated.

Above image linked from Pixel-dan.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:04 pm 
active in the community

It has been more than five amazing years since the start of the Classics line, and about three years since Mattel has announced it acquired the rights to make toys based on the original Filmation cartoon series. We've seen Troopers, Palace Guards and Snake Men, leaving Skeletor chomping at the bit for his own army to command! Or at least a sturdy set of guards that won't let that muscle bound menace He-Man and his troublesome allies traipse about Snake Mountain's halls whenever they choose to! With enough support the Robot Knights would make an excellent choice for the Classics toy line, and I'm holding out hope to see an official army builder within the next two years.

Until then, Sascha Bischof (derWaffenmeister) has come up with an ingenious custom recipe, mixing 3D printing with resin casting to crank out scores of these mechanical minions to line our toy shelves. According to Sascha, a lot of work was put into constructing body molds suitable for attaching the articulated arms he designed with 3D software. The body itself was designed in the same fashion, and both were printed by the popular online printing service Shapeways.com. The printed body provided the shape he needed for the mold, and once cast the robot was assembled and painted.

Sascha did a great job translating and maintaining the design from the Filmation cartoon series. The printed plastic in the arms is sturdy and does not feel too brittle, though I'll let someone else volunteer to conduct a stress test with their own set. The arms rotate around the shoulder, at the elbow, and at the wrist. The forearms swivel a 90 degree angle in front of the robot's arm and behind it.

Although the head and body were designed and printed separately, the robot's final form is made with the two parts cast together in the mold, so the eyes are fixed in place. You can see tiny pores in the robot's shell, giving it an almost cement-like texture. The body's mass is appreciated as it gives the figure a much nicer weight than the part's original printed shell.

Each robot can come with a printed two-part base. Rather than rotating the robot on its base it's best to carefully detach the base from the body and reattach it in the desired position. Otherwise the thin ring of plastic at the bottom of the robot could potentially crack. Stands offered with Classics Orko and with Mattel's smaller Ghostbusters line of figures are taller and work pretty well with the Robot Knight, however, some modification to the tip of the stand is needed before it can be firmly secured to the robot's posterior. Sascha is planning to produce translucent stands, and has already finished designs for weapon attachments including maces, circular saws, and a set of propellers right out of the vintage cartoon!

There are other Robot Knight customs out there, but this is the first best recipe I could get my hands on and it was well worth the wait! I can finally replace the [url="http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy344/AdultCollector/IMG_6284.jpg"]floating printouts[/url] I made when Joe Amaro posted photos of his own custom recipe three years ago.

More MOTU news and photos can be found at Adultcollector.org.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:43 pm 
active in the community

Two-Bad is my new favorite figure. In hand the figure is far better than I had hoped, and I now have high hopes that we'll eventually see Tuvar and Badra in the Classics line. Thank you Horsemen!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:59 pm 
active in the community

^ Filmation Sword by Evil Mike's Customs at Shapeways.com

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:33 pm 
active in the community

War Horse custom by Don Schomer.

Koy-Jor custom by Hunter Knight Customs.

Horde Captain custom kit by Mat O'Toole.

War Horse custom by Don Schomer.

Translucent Horde Prime head and hands by Karak Nul Customs.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:17 pm 
active in the community

Easily one of my favorite figures as a kid, and growing up. Very toy-like, with lots of things happening in his design.

A second, toy-accurate head would have been appreciated, however, I understand this is a very highly tooled figure.

Roilus Blast? Every time I see one of these bio names I imagine their mother yelling it out at them like they're in trouble.

I decided to order a second Rio Blast figure I plan on customizing after seeing He-Bro's fixes and after seeing a better version on the back of the packaging.

Fortune and glory!

The red attachments have a hollow chalky feel to them, as though they were 3D printed.

Lots of fun detail added to this figure. A respectable update from the vintage version!

With the right color scheme and bio, Rio Blast could work well as a villain or hero, or even a vigilante/mercenary like Lobo (DC Comics).

The tubes are growing on me.

In my canon, Rio Blast lost Stridor to Fisto in a game of cards. he joined the heroic warriors hoping to one day win back his old friend before returning to the stars.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:53 pm 
active in the community

Finally! This figure has really got my interest peaked in the remaining movie figures.

This is probably my favorite head sculpt in the entire Classics line!

Blade has been given a few different looks.

But none of them compare with the design chosen for the movie's poster.

Oh cool he comes with a dart gun! Wait...shouldn't it be on his other wrist since his eye patch is on his left side?

He looks so young here!

I personally prefer the look of this beefed up, older Blade.

How cool is it that we were actually given his whip accessory!

For comparison. Easily my favorite special effect from the movie.

In my canon, Blade is the villain who gave King He-Man his scar. This would make for a great rematch in the "Fall of Eternia" storyline!

*Custom He-Man movie sword by Evil Mike's Customs. Custom King Grayskull head by Zombihamma-AI.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:46 pm 
active in the community

Showing off more commissioned work to help celebrate 1,000 fans at Adultcollector.org! Here is a first-run Castle Grayskull Dungeon Kit from Backyard Legends, painted by none other than Hunter Knight Customs! I'm very excited to own a collaboration of work from two of my favorite custom talents! Lots of great detail was put into this art piece to replicate the original feel and look of the castle's dungeon floor. The rusty metal and glossy ooze really bring it to life!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:43 pm 
active in the community

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9