Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Yet another Mattel/JLU question, Julius...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:05 am 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

Quoted from a post made by marillion:

marillion wrote:
I still don't see what the big deal is with all this stuff. A one-minute post at AFI saying "Look guys, here it is. Buy the ToyFare issue. It'll have pics of 15 NEW characters we have coming out for 2008, as well as re-releases & repaints. The line is not dead."

Really & seriously...if the line is not dead, then what is the harm in posting something like that? It's not like people won't buy the issue...they still want to see WHAT characters will be made and how good they look.

Peace,

Chip

This might be outside your specific ability to answer, but why can't Mattel just announce the general content of the ToyFare issue? It's not as if it would spoil the news. It would just serve to affirm that JLU is alive in some way.

Or the opposite...

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

Post subject: Re: Yet another Mattel/JLU question, Julius...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:44 am 
Cold-cast

Howard the Duck wrote:
why can't Mattel just announce the general content of the ToyFare issue? It's not as if it would spoil the news. It would just serve to affirm that JLU is alive in some way.

Or the opposite...

Anticipation. The longer Mattel let's us stew over new JLU news, the more people will eat it up when the time comes. And frankly, JLU could use the boost.

Look at all the secrecy around the Cloverfield movie. They've taken a warmed over Sci-Fi channel plot (generic giant monster attacks), with a tired old hook (Blair Witch knock-off first-person POV), and turned it into a full blown internet phenominon.

Sometimes the old CIA mentality pays off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:27 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

And sometimes it doesn't. I hate to side with Chip here, but in this case they could at least give us a clue. I think a lot of people are quite tired of the extended wait, and any positive news would be greatly appreciated. :D

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:55 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

...and that's the only reason why I ask for any 'pre-info info.' Simply due to the fact that (how many times now?) we've waited for news only to be told to "Wait until xxxx date." "Stay tuned for xxxx time."

Enough waiting already. Say something definitive.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:17 am 
Crime Against Nature

The guys who talk to us are not necessarily the guys who make the decisions on what can be said.

And there are a lot of reasons they probably don't want to tip their hand to the other toy companies, either, as they're all fighting for meager shelf space.

And finally, everyone here is small potatoes compared to their daily problems they deal with in guiding the lines. They tell us what they can, when they can. If they could say what's up, they would.

I personally am fast wishing for the day when JLU dies just so that people will just chill and stop being so impatient for news.

J.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:37 pm 
Daniel Pickett

The reason they are putting the news in the "Toy Fair" edition of Toy Fare is becasue that is the one issue that will be seen by the most "industry" people as it is given away at Toy Fair.

This is the issue that the marketing guys have sunk a lot of $$ into ads so they want to show some exclusive content.

The development team knows what supporters of the line we are, but it's a big company and with lots of departments.

D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:14 pm 
proverbial old fart

Thanks, Daniel, for explaining it... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:56 pm 

JuliusMarx wrote:
The reason they are putting the news in the "Toy Fair" edition of Toy Fare is becasue that is the one issue that will be seen by the most "industry" people as it is given away at Toy Fair.

This is the issue that the marketing guys have sunk a lot of $$ into ads so they want to show some exclusive content.

The development team knows what supporters of the line we are, but it's a big company and with lots of departments.

D.

Thanks for the repiles, guys. but, I'm a little confused now.

If the Toy Fair issue of Wizard Toy Fare is to be given out to retailers at Toy Fair in NYC in February, then isn't that the very same issue that any of us can walk into a local comic book shop can buy that very same month? If so, then wouldn't the news of the JLU line's future already be decided for it to even be newsworthy for Toy Fare to have an article about it? Isn't that the cart leading the horse?

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:35 pm 
Crime Against Nature

Buyers are at Toy Fair.

Buyers buy toy for stores.

Buyers have to make educated guesses at what will sell, as they aren't kids or collectors.

Not everything shown at Toy Fair gets made (in fact, quite a few items never get made. Ask Geoff Beckett for more info).

Hype helps buyers feel comfortable about these decisions.

Toyfare is the closest thing to an industry mag for figure culture.

Toyfare is given out free at the toy center.

Is this making sense now?

J.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:16 pm 
PVC

Might as well move it to the Mattel page T O. Then it'll make less sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:30 am 

ToyOtter wrote:
Buyers are at Toy Fair.

Buyers buy toy for stores.

Buyers have to make educated guesses at what will sell, as they aren't kids or collectors.

Not everything shown at Toy Fair gets made (in fact, quite a few items never get made. Ask Geoff Beckett for more info).

Hype helps buyers feel comfortable about these decisions.

Toyfare is the closest thing to an industry mag for figure culture.

Toyfare is given out free at the toy center.

Is this making sense now?

J.

Yes.

I...

...understand

...all

...of...

...that :wink:

It just seemed strange to me that the same exact issue available on newstands of ToyFare would be used. That's all. Plus, it's news to me that ToyFare is used in such a way by industry insiders. I always saw the magazine as a pandering mockery of a legit magazine, with the added "benefit" of Twisted Mego Theatre. Not really a fan here...can you tell?

Still, however, all of that doesn't really explain as to why can't the general content of the JLU announcement couldn't be released. I know it's a moot point, since Toy Fair is next month. I personally think that telling everyone what the article is about without divulging the details would only serve to sell that issue to the collectors who wouldn't buy this magazine otherwise.

As always, thanks for the replies. I'm not trying to annoy y'all here about it...I have a tiny feeling that I am being troublesome. That's not my intent.

I just hope that the ungodly wait for news of JLU's future is worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:00 am 
PVC

It won't be. It's all a trick. An elaborate ruse that Daniel and Jason are in on. The article is a one page spread that says:

"PSYCHE! WE FOOLED YA'. JLU IS DEAD AND WE JUST WANTED TO MESS WITH YOU FOR SEVEN MONTHS! BUY DCUC!" :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:56 am 

Gardner Grayle wrote:
It won't be. It's all a trick. An elaborate ruse that Daniel and Jason are in on. The article is a one page spread that says:

"PSYCHE! WE FOOLED YA'. JLU IS DEAD AND WE JUST WANTED TO MESS WITH YOU FOR SEVEN MONTHS! BUY DCUC!" :roll:

...In my best Revenge of the Sith Vader voice,

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..........."
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:58 am 
Crime Against Nature

Howard the Duck wrote:
It just seemed strange to me that the same exact issue available on newstands of ToyFare would be used. That's all. Plus, it's news to me that ToyFare is used in such a way by industry insiders. I always saw the magazine as a pandering mockery of a legit magazine, with the added "benefit" of Twisted Mego Theatre. Not really a fan here...can you tell?

I'm not necessarily a fan of Toyfare either. But name me one other widely distributed action figure centric mag that a buyer can look at to see what is hot. Tomarts? Lee's? Both are full of misspellings, poor design, and confusing layout. And both have poor distribution. Like it or not, Toyfare is slick, professional looking, and easily found. One look through the pages tells a buyer who otherwise doesn't know too much about upcoming product what products look to be hot.

Howard the Duck wrote:
Still, however, all of that doesn't really explain as to why can't the general content of the JLU announcement couldn't be released. I know it's a moot point, since Toy Fair is next month. I personally think that telling everyone what the article is about without divulging the details would only serve to sell that issue to the collectors who wouldn't buy this magazine otherwise.

Again, the suits at the top don't see collectors as their audience at all. And it is very hard looking out from the inside to know what info is "safe" and what isn't. What you may think is a harmless comment could be thought of otherwise by your boss. Is it worth jeopardizing your job to placate a handful of fans on a message board?

And guess what? Those fans are never satisfied! Every time you give them info they're grateful, but then they want even more. It's insatiable! Even when you shoot your load at SDCC or Toy Fair they suspect there is something held back and that they have to hear it as soon as possible.

For a toy company worker, it's a no win game, and in fact is easier to not say anything because then you aren't bombarded by requests. Who here asks Georg Brewer incessantly about upcoming product? No one. Because they know Georg won't answer them.

I actually think this is a big enough point that I'm going to try and blog about it tonight and explain why it's in a companies best interest to NOT give out info the their hard core fans.

Howard the Duck wrote:
As always, thanks for the replies. I'm not trying to annoy y'all here about it...I have a tiny feeling that I am being troublesome. That's not my intent.

I just hope that the ungodly wait for news of JLU's future is worth it.

No worries. But fans needs to also understand that there are reasons behind most decisions, whether they are logical or not.

As for the wait being worth it, the more it gets built up as some huge fantastic news the more it won't be worth it. No matter how great the news is. Do you think DCUC would have been as greatly received if Mattel had announced it two years ago and dribbled out bits of information until last SDCC? Or would everyone have said, "Man, we've already seen all that!"? But they unveiled basically two whole assortments at once that NO ONE knew were coming.

Why wouldn't they want to replicate that strategy with JLU and have one big surprise?

J.
[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:47 am 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

ToyOtter wrote:
Is it worth jeopardizing your job to placate a handful of fans on a message board?

And guess what? Those fans are never satisfied! Every time you give them info they're grateful, but then they want even more.

QFT!!!