Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jin's Stuff: ML Mr Knight, Demogoblin, pg 33
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:16 pm 
Cold-cast

"He's an powerful warrior and all of Eternia is grateful he's on the side of good! The dauntless Mega-Man charges his Mega-blaster and readies himself for the battle against Skeletor's minions, but will this part machine, part man emerge victorious? Always willing to help his friends, Mega-Man fights alongside He-Man and proves his mettle in battle. Watch out, this Reploid has his sights on ridding Eternia of trouble!"

Here's something you never thought you'd see, it's Megaman! But he's in Masters of the Universe Classics form this time. The Blue Bomber was created from a Skeletor body, Sauron chest armor, DC Direct Cyborg lower arms/legs, modded Mol-Larr head, Darius Helmet, and some fodder parts for energy effects and detail. This custom 'Mega-Man' was then given an airbrushed metallic blue paint job and detailed up with battle damage to show he's been fighting the forces of evil on Eternia!

For more pictures head here: MotUC Mega-Man

-------------------------------------------

Straight out of Spiderman's Maximum Carnage series comes the villain turned savior Venom and this week I've created him for you in Marvel Legends form, uh...again! But this time I'm practicing with a new technique to add skin detail. Venom was created out of the regular Venom body and given a new head from a bootleg Venom figure featured on Ebay for a while. Lots of accessories such as clawed hands from Anti-Venom, two tongues, a carnage tendril, and a Hero Mashers Carnage-reach-effect claw were added.

The rippling, swirling skin effect is done by washing the figure then wiping the figure down in 91% alcohol first. 3D slick fabric paint is used with a Testors precision glue tip glued on to the normal thick-spout. Give the fabric paint about 7 hours to cure, paint over, then seal. You can make mustaches, eyebrows, tattered clothing bits, spines, just about anything that doesnt need a ton of detail.

For a detailed write-up of how he's made, head here: Venom with Symbiote skin detail

Post subject: Re: Jin's Stuff: MotUC 'Mega-Man', ML Venom pg 34
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:42 am 
Cold-cast

Are you ready for yet another blast from the past? Get ready for the diminutive MICRONAUTS! Created in 6" Marvel Legends scale comes the heroic Time Traveler looking just like his vintage counterpart. Time Traveler was created using the Target 3-pack clear Vision body, Rogue 1 Krennic head, Iron Man feet, and Apoxie sculpted detailing on his chest and cuffs. Clear orange Tamiya acrylic paint was used for an amazing see-through effect. Now Time Traveler is ready to make his journey across the galaxy with the rest of the Micronauts!

For more pics, head to his page here: Micronauts Time Traveler

------------------------------------------------------------

The Micronauts have arrived from the depths of space sporting their vintage looks but in Marvel Legends 6" scale! Here I've created the terrifying villain Membros using a Beetle body, extra toes, tons of Apoxie Sculpted muscle and armor design, custom sculpted head, and fodder parts for the elongated arm weapons! He was airbrushed with all sorts of orange and red shading to keep him close to his vintage toy colors but with attention to the new detail I gave him. Membros also comes with extra claws like the reissued Palisades toy had.

For more pics, head to his page here: Micronauts Membros

Post subject: Re: Jin's Stuff: Micronauts MLscale Time Traveler, Membros p
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:23 am 
Bob Vila

Hi Jin,

Great updates yet again. I really am impressed by your custom work, the paint, sculpting and especially the way you swap parts and re-work pieces to fit around the original tooling are all excellent. Because of this, I was hoping you may have some ideas or input on how to fix the height on the recent Mattel Thundercats Pumyra figure.

I have the figure and can see that the extra height appears to be caused mostly by the way the hips/pelvis are constructed. As it is based on MOTUC tooling, and when stood next to other MOTUC female figures, it is evident that the hips are the biggest problem in making the figure too tall.

I haven't taken it apart yet, and to do so it looks like the torso would need to be cracked first as it looks like that may be grip a peg that comes up through the skirt from the hips. As you have worked on these figures before, do you know of a MOTUC female body that has a pelvis which can accommodate the legs used but take out some of the height?

On a side note, Lion-O is too short, but I think that can be fixed by cutting the shins and just adding a few mm to them and re-sculpting over it, which seems a much easier fix than what I imagine will be needed to fix Pumyra.

Any suggestions you have, or even better, if you plan on tackling this yourself as a custom job that I could try and copy for myself would be great.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to seeing any upcoming projects you have planned.

Cheers.

(I did pm this to you but it looks like you might have missed it so I'm posting it here instead.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:58 am 
Cold-cast

Stealthy and adept with a variety of weapons, Regina is the ultimate hunter...of dinosaurs! Yes straight out of Capcom's Dino Crisis series comes the sexiest S.O.R.T. member you've been waiting for. Regina was created with a 2016 Scarlet Witch body, Xmen united Scarlet Witch lower legs, Black Widow hands, and sculpted hair/uniform sections. She was then airbrushed and given an assortment of weaponry to combat the Jurassic threat!

For full pics of Regina, head here: Dino Crisis Regina custom

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rebels fear his name. The galaxy bows before him. He is an unstoppable amalgamation of man and machine, he is Darth Vader. I wanted a Vader that looked like he was in the middle of battle, not battle-damaged however. I started with a Walgreens Vader and removed the lower body skirt, replacing it with a hero mashers Vader plastic one. I modded the Hero masher's Vader head and neck to work on the body and gave him a tattered cloak, weathering his lower half with dust and mud. Two 'force choke' style hands were added and his lightsaber resculpted along with adding a longer chain for the cloak and filling on joint holes. Now I finally had my definitive 6" Black Series custom Darth Vader to command the Imperial army

For a complete set of Vader pics head here: Custom Battlefield Darth Vader figure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

He, or it knows your fears. There is nowhere to hide, nowhere to run when the Slender Man comes. It's horror time and here I've created a revamped custom Slender Man for some paranormal fun! Using the same recipe as my original Slender Man customs he starts out as a Dr Who Silence figure that's had his arms and legs lengthened in two places. This time around I added jointed feet and a ball jointed head along with a flowing tie. Some Bio-Wulf claws were ball jointed on and I created the classic thick back-tendrils that magnetically attach to Slender Man's back for a cool silhouette.

For a selection of Slender pics, head here: Slender Man custom figure

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:08 pm 
Cold-cast

elvis8batman wrote:
Hi Jin,

Great updates yet again. I really am impressed by your custom work, the paint, sculpting and especially the way you swap parts and re-work pieces to fit around the original tooling are all excellent. Because of this, I was hoping you may have some ideas or input on how to fix the height on the recent Mattel Thundercats Pumyra figure.

I have the figure and can see that the extra height appears to be caused mostly by the way the hips/pelvis are constructed. As it is based on MOTUC tooling, and when stood next to other MOTUC female figures, it is evident that the hips are the biggest problem in making the figure too tall.

I haven't taken it apart yet, and to do so it looks like the torso would need to be cracked first as it looks like that may be grip a peg that comes up through the skirt from the hips. As you have worked on these figures before, do you know of a MOTUC female body that has a pelvis which can accommodate the legs used but take out some of the height?

On a side note, Lion-O is too short, but I think that can be fixed by cutting the shins and just adding a few mm to them and re-sculpting over it, which seems a much easier fix than what I imagine will be needed to fix Pumyra.

Any suggestions you have, or even better, if you plan on tackling this yourself as a custom job that I could try and copy for myself would be great.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to seeing any upcoming projects you have planned.

Cheers.

(I did pm this to you but it looks like you might have missed it so I'm posting it here instead.)

Hey there Elvis! I've only taken apart one MOTUC female, Catrya, so I'm not super up to date on how the newest female bodies are being constructed. I don't know where the waist swivel sits in relation to the hip pegs but you could always remove a section of that and glue the waist peg back, if there's room. If the peg is too close to the hip joints that might not be possible. As for Lion-O your plan is what I'd suggest too, adding sculpt the his lower legs right above the boot.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:24 am 
Bob Vila

Jin Saotome wrote:
elvis8batman wrote:
Hi Jin,

Cheers.

Hey there Elvis! I've only taken apart one MOTUC female, Catrya, so I'm not super up to date on how the newest female bodies are being constructed. I don't know where the waist swivel sits in relation to the hip pegs but you could always remove a section of that and glue the waist peg back, if there's room. If the peg is too close to the hip joints that might not be possible. As for Lion-O your plan is what I'd suggest too, adding sculpt the his lower legs right above the boot.

Thanks for getting back to me on this, I'll give what you said a go, as I have a spare if it goes wrong. Also, when you customize DCUC bodies, do you always crack the torsos open so that you can sand the shoulder sockets and get more access to the shoulder discs on the arms for sanding, or do you just try and do it while they are still in one piece?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:44 pm 
Cold-cast

elvis8batman wrote:

Thanks for getting back to me on this, I'll give what you said a go, as I have a spare if it goes wrong. Also, when you customize DCUC bodies, do you always crack the torsos open so that you can sand the shoulder sockets and get more access to the shoulder discs on the arms for sanding, or do you just try and do it while they are still in one piece?

All I do is shave away more of the inside edge of the socket so the shoulders dont rub. Then I move the arms as far forward and back as they will go, removing the surface of the inner disc that shows from the maximum position I can get. Then just paint them. Depending on the bicep swivel some of that may need to go to keep from rubbing against the shoulder ball.

Post subject: Re: Jin's Stuff: Dino Crisis, Darth Vader, SlenderMan, pg 34
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:45 pm 
Cold-cast

The Spirit of Vengeance takes to the streets once more in its host Johnny Blaze and is ready to punish the wicked! Here I've created a modern version of Blaze using a GotG2 Starlord body, Ghost Rider head/neck, NECA Kickass gloves, movie Electro lower legs, and a movie Steve Rogers head on Star Lord's neck. The entire neck section of the alternate heads are magnetic and lock into the body's collar allowing you switch looks. The flaming chain whip effect came from a One-Piece pvc statue and I modded a 1:12 scale chopper with sculpted hot glue flames putting high temp hot glue through a low temp gun. One classic-esq paint job later and Johnny Blaze the Ghost Rider was complete!

For more pics head to his page here: Ghost Rider Johnny Blaze

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:42 am 
Bob Vila

Jin Saotome wrote:
elvis8batman wrote:

All I do is shave away more of the inside edge of the socket so the shoulders dont rub. Then I move the arms as far forward and back as they will go, removing the surface of the inner disc that shows from the maximum position I can get. Then just paint them. Depending on the bicep swivel some of that may need to go to keep from rubbing against the shoulder ball.

Thanks for the advice. Now comes the part where I have to put it into practice!

Post subject: Re: Jin's Stuff: Ghost Rider Johnny Blaze, Dino Crisis pg 34
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:13 am 
Cold-cast

He's buff, tough, and rough, it's the mercenary Herk Mondo from the Aliens Colonial Marines comic book and he's ready to take on the Xenomorph hordes! Herk was created from a Marvel Legends Nuke body, Gears of War head, Steve Rogers hands, and hand sculpted armor/details. He features a gigantic rifle and techy Pulse Rifle. He even has his alien mouth belt buckle and chestburster knife just like he had in the comics!
For more pics head to his page here: NECA style Herk Mondo

Post subject: Re: Jin's Stuff: Ghost Rider Johnny Blaze, Dino Crisis pg 34
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:32 pm 
Cold-cast

"Yet another warrior from the Crystal Sea has emerged to claim rule over the land-dwellers, the mighty Cephalodious Lord of Limbs! Once upon the shores of Eternia Cephalodious quickly discovered there was already powerful factions waging war against each other, the Evil Skeletor battling the mighty He-Man. Would he choose a side to ally with? Or would he become yet another faction in the ongoing struggle for power in Eternia? Watching his rivals Mer-Man and Nautilor taking orders from their masters caused a swelling of disgust. His mind was made up. Cephalodious would battle not for power, but for honor alongside the heroic warriors of Eternia!"

Another custom character creation for the Masters of the Universe Classics collection, here's the mighty Cephalodious ready to lend a...tentacle in battle. He was created with the upper body of a NECA Spider Gremlin, Monster High lower body tentacles, DCU Nit-Lik modded head, and various MotUC and Skeleton Warriors armor sections. Special attention was paid to the fins and everything was airbrushed with multiple bright shades of color to make Cephalodious fit in with my other sea-based Masters of the Universe customs.

For more pics head to his page here: Cephalodious

Post subject: Re: Jin's Stuff: Star Wars Black Series Dianoga, pg 34
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:59 pm 
Cold-cast

What's that sound? AHHH THERE'S SOMETHING ALIVE IN HERE WITH US! Yep, it's the slippery, slimy, cuddly Dianoga infesting your trash compactor done in 6" figure scale. This design pays homage to the vintage Kenner toy that came with the Trash Compactor Playset and was created from a Legendary Journey's of Hercules Echidna figure, various creature fodder sections, and a whole of of apoxie sculpt for the main body. With bendy tendrils to capture its pray and a load of foam trash to hide in, this Dianoga is one dangerous critter!

For more pics head to its page here: Black Series Dianoga

Post subject: Re: Jin's Stuff: Praetorian Alien, Black Series Dianoga, pg
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:12 pm 
Cold-cast

The deadliest of Alien guards lurk deep within the Alien hive and are armored and ready to tear into anything that threatens the colony. These are the Queen's Praetorian, a unique and powerful class of Xenomorph and this week I've created one for your hive! The Praetorian was created using the AvP warrior body with its dome and back head removed. A Revoltech Queen alien crest was grafted in its place, dome resculpted, and Mantis alien spikes added to its cheeks, arms, and hips. Other spines/blades were added and Spider Gremlin leg sections were modded into back tubes and sculpted in.

For more pics head to its page here: Custom Praetorian Alien figure

Post subject: Re: Jin's Stuff: Light-up Metroid, Praetorian Alien pg 34
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:05 pm 
Cold-cast

Here's something you don't see every day, a light-up Metroid with pulsing effect! Using the 6" Deluxe Metroid from jakks pacific World of Nintendo I installed inside it is a multi-LED lighting unit that can be set to eight different colors including a pulsing one. Opening the Metroid was extremely difficult seeing as the screws that hold the upper dome clasp in place are hidden under the four moving fangs which cant be pulled back out. I had to break the different posts free to disassemble it, drill out at least a hundred small nodule sections and install light piping. But in the end it was worth it! Check out the video of the pulsing effect and the nifty pics.

For the video and pics of my custom Pusling Light up Metroid head over to its page here

Post subject: Re: Jin's Stuff: Light-up Metroid, Praetorian Alien, pg 34
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:40 am 
Cold-cast

Straight out of the AvP Extinction video game comes the fearsome Ravager Alien Warrior! These bladed aliens are a unique and powerful class of Xenomorph that can shear through armor and hack into its prey. This week I give you one of these Ravagers to add to your collection. He was created using an NECA Mantis Alien base, warrior lower legs, Dog Alien tail ends, and star wars Acklay beast claws. The head was resculpted and given additional tubing along with a new tail and Mantis feet swapped onto the new lower legs. Testors Aztek Airbrush paints were used, the metallics specifically for a dual blue/green faded look with bone highlights.

For more pics head to its page here: Custom Ravager Alien

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next