Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mentalpower's customs -NEW-Ultraman|Classic Power Ring -
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:30 am 
ABS

An-Gel Sakura wrote:
Excellent work on both. Where do you get the decals for these?

These are not decals, are logos printed into paper and then glued to the figure, using the decoupage technique.

Check http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14514 (New entries! - July 10, 2012)

Post subject: Re: Mentalpower's customs -NEW-Ultraman|Classic Power Ring -
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:12 am 
proverbial old fart

Your Crime Syndicate Ultraman and Power Ring are outstanding! Truly works of art! Thanks for sharing!

Post subject: Mentalpower's customs -NEW-Power Ring III|Superwoman -pg5-
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:34 am 
ABS

Hi guys:

So here I am again to post some photos of another two members of the Crime Society of Amerika. sorry for the delay, but the Sun didn't showed for days and that delayed the photo shooting...

Power Ring III(Crime Society of Amerika)

I had already promised you that I would create my own version of the Power Ring figure that Mattel has released and here you have it. Again this is what I call an "I'm not going to pay THAT for the original figure, so I'll make mine" custom. I saw the figure made by Mattel and decided right away that:

1) I would NOT buy it, and
2) this was a very good idea for one of the many 5 PoA John Stewart figures I had in my fodder.

This has been a pretty easy custom. The only scupting I had to make in this one was on his chest and ring. I have carefully hidden the GL logo lines with putty, added a sculpted base for the new Power Ring logo. Of course I also cut off that boring rounded ring and sculpted a new one (more on that later).

After some careful sanding of all the imperfections in the figure and the putty, the result was the following...

From there I had only to paint all the costume. I also hand-painted the logo this time, I felt I could do it properly.

And below you have more images of the final result, after a coat of varnish.

Below you can find a close-up shot to show the details on the ring. Yes, I followed again the same ring shape as in Classic Power Ring's case. And yes, I know that in almost all his comic appereances his ring was round-shaped. But sorry, this time I had to do the power ring this way, and the fault is George Perez's again (more concretely his panel from Crisis #1... remember the one I showed in the Classic Power Ring post?). For me Power Ring's ring should be this shape, and that's it (here we have a good example of a customizer deciding to deny the facts and doing things his way... hey, I'm not perfect!).

And to end the spotlight on this custom, a pic showing the Classic Power Ring and modern Power Ring, side by side:

Comic-accurate Superwoman (Crime Society of Amerika)

This one has a little history. Originally it was another "I'm not going to pay THAT for the original figure, so I'll make mine" custom. I was planning to do her from scratch (and I had started) using a JLU Wonder Woman and a JLU Dr. Light cape. You can see my initial attempt below:

But then I was able to get several JLU Superwoman figures very cheap for several projects I have, and when I had them in my hands I decided I could use one as basis for an improved Superwoman.

The first thing I had to change was that short hair. It is so off-character! I wanted to make her look as close as possible to the appereance of the second Superwoman in the "JLA Earth 2" comic. So I took off the Justice Lords Wonder Woman hair and placed a long Wonder Woman hair instead. You can see the result below:

Originally I was planning just to fix the hair's fringe and leave the rest untouched. However I started to think how cool would be to change the painted-only chained collar into a real chained collar, and to add the shoulder disks. And then why not fix those boots? So in the end I decided to go the extra mile with this one adding all the details to make it more comic-accurate:

[li]I changed the cape for a shorter one (coming from a JLU Supergirl);[/li]
    [li]I decided to add real chains to the collar and sculpt the shoulder discs and pendant;[/li]
    [li]I sculpted the boots;[/li]
    [li]I cut of the star-shaped earrings and put some rounded ones.[/li]

The picture below shows this phase of the project:

Then I added the straps and buckles in all wrists and ankles, made of paper. The tiny buckles for thew wrist were a challenge, I did several attempts with an x-acto knife and chose the best ones.

To complete the custom, some light sanding was made to erase mold lines, smooth the parts sculpted in putty and then paint it all. And here you can see more images of the final result:

I am especially proud of the chained collar. I was forced to put it closer to the neck so it would match the cape ends and also interfere less to the arm articulation, but apart of that little detail I think it turned out great. Below you have a close-up:

And to finish the post, just one extra image showing my own version of the Crime Syndicate of Amerika members... to substitute those released by Mattel:

There are more images to come soon (I promise!), so stay tuned!

Check http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14514 (New entries! - July 10, 2012)

Post subject: Re: Mentalpower's customs -NEW-Power Ring III|Superwoman -pg
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:13 am 
proverbial old fart

Really fantastic job on both the figures! Superwoman looks amazing!

Post subject: Mentalpower's customs - my Superwoman versus Mattel's -pg5-
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:24 pm 
ABS

Hi guys:

I know it has been a long time since I've posted some new images... I've been terribly busy at work, and I've used the few time available to work on some customs for the the Legion of Superheroes Challenge that BatJack organized in the Custom Justice website (results have been just revealed this week!).

So this is a post that was planned some months ago. Taking the rare opportunity that I had an extra for the base figure I used in one of my customs, I took some photos of my Superwoman custom side-by-side to the original, Mattel's one, and I think you may find the comparison interesting.

Below you have the front view for both:

Well, this shows most of the changes I performed, the most eye-catching being the hair, the cape, the chained collar and the boots. The wrist and ankle bands are not that prominent in this view...

The image above shows a side view for both, better showing the wrist and ankle strips with their respective buckles. It also shows how distinct are the hair, cape and boot proportions.

The most prominent feature to compare in the image above is the cape, both its proportions and its colour. Being the hair and the cape black, this presented a challenge to make them look different. In the end I opted to coat the outside of the cape in glossy varnish to give it a leathery look, while the hair is coated in matt varnish.

So here it ends the comparison. I hope you found these photos interesting. And make sure you return soon, as in my next post I'm going to show some customs which are radically different to what I have been doing lately.

Post subject: Mentalpower's customs -NEW- Congorilla|Monsieur Mallah -pg.5
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:31 pm 
ABS

Hello:

As I advanced in the last post, today's post is a bit different to my previous ones as none of the customs shown is in animated style. So prepare yourselves for some monkey craziness... well, gorillas to be more precise.

Congorilla

This is a case of a customizing project I picked after reading the "Cry for Justice" comic. I remembered I had a gorilla figure laying somewhere and I thought that it would be a perfect base for the custom.

The gorilla is a King Kong from Playmates. I picked this custom project because I thought it was going to be a straight repaint, but in fact I had to do some trimming, sanding and resculpting in some of the many articulations this figure has to avoid the gold paint peeling off. And hand-painting it was also time-consuming, to make sure that every small part of it was coated in gold.

The result can be seen below

As seen in the "Cry for Justice" comic, Congorilla is now trapped in the golden gorilla body, and can increase its size as his rage increases. So it is supposed to be a big gorilla. I had planned to do a Mikaal Starman custom to do the comparison shot, but as I had to focus my customizing efforts in the Legion of Superheroes customs, Mikaal will have to wait a bit more. Instead I'll use my Catman custom instead for the scale comparison shot...

Monsieur Mallah

Some months ago I went to my parents' place and had a look to the boxes I still have there with figures for customs, trying to find some JLU Flash figures for some customs I have in mind. Instead I found a Gorilla Grodd custom I made long time ago from a Disney Tarzan Kerchak figure. The figure ended in the custom fodder once I bought the really nice Gorilla Grodd figure from DC Direct, with plans to do a Monsieur Mallah, which did not happened in the end.

But now, with my new found ability of putty sculpting, I am reactivating projects that were posponed in the past.

My inspiration for the figure was the Mattel Inifinite Heroes Monsieur Mallah figure. I found it nice the touch of the beret on it to show that this is no regular gorilla. Fortunatelly I found several shots of the figure in the net, which I used as reference for the custom.

Here you can see the project still on an early stage...

[img width=650 height=586]http://dchallofjustice.com/CJgallery/albums/userpics/10188/WIP_8534.JPG[/img]

I trimmed down part of the top of the head to give some better base to start sculpting the beret. I sculpted it in two phases: first step (the one showed above) focused on the base of the beret, including the details of the borders of it. The second step focused on giving the top of it the right shape and getting a smooth surface.

The photo above also shows the first paint tests, and this also needs some explanation. Monsieur Mallah has been incosistently coloured during the years: from a reddish brown with lighter areas around the face, palms and chest in its earliest appereances, to an all-dark brown in its 'The new Teen Titans' appereances, to black in some recent apperences (but in a comic that he is confronting Gorilla Grodd, he became brown again). I decided to go for the reddish brown, which was his original colour back in the early years of the Doom Patrol and to give him a more distinctive look, compared to the Gorilla Grodd in my collection.

Then I added the chest band to the figure, a composite of different elements in my custom fodder. And after some accurate painting the final result is shown below:

I recently bought a loose Mattel DC Infinite Heroes Brain figure to go along Monsieur Mallah, and don't they look nice together?

Oh, see this couple, the love in their faces... or is it rage?

For those curious about scale, here you have a comparison shot with both the Brain and Catman...

And to finish the post, a shot with both gorillas side by side... the man in the body of a gorilla and the gorilla with a man-like mind.

And this is the end of the post. Hope you liked it. Come back soon to see the entries I made for Custom Justice's LOSH challenge.

Post subject: Mentalpower's customs -NEW- Dream Girl! - pg.5
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:22 am 
ABS

Hi guys:

Today I start a series of posts related to the customs that I have been busy making for the Legion of Superheroes Challenge organised by BatJack in the Custom Justice Forum (http://customjustice.dchallofjustice.co ... pic=3373.0). If you haven't seen already the customs tht made it to the challenge in the challenge then go to the reveal post (http://customjustice.dchallofjustice.co ... pic=3524.0). The goal for this post and the following is to describe you the customizing process I followed for each of my entries, along with some extra shots of the customs.

In this post I'll start with the first custom I made for the challenge...

Dream Girl

ImageImage

This custom has been in my to-do list for more than two years, even before I saw the customs made by Great White Customs and 37 Customs, which only reinforced my wishes to do my own Dream Girl, and also before the LOSH challenge was announced. I did the head and hair swap a year ago, but then the figure was lying in a box waiting for me to be able to sculpt the hair fringe properly.

So when I entered into an extremely busy period at work, it became one of the projects I rescued from oblivion to do, as the head swapping was already performed, it required minimum sculpting and most of the care was to be focused on the paint applications.

The base figure is a Mattel JLU Fire body with a Mattel JLU Wonder Woman v2 head (aka. the one with 5 PoA) and a Mattel JLU Wonder Woman v1 hair (aka. the one with 4 PoA). This combination might seem weird, but it has all an explanation. Many customs I've seen use directly JLU Fire's head and hair. Fire's head has a permanent grin that is ok for some characters, but it was not what I wanted for Dreamy. I was looking for a face that was sexy and had a bit of mistery. Looking at the different faces I had in the fodder the one that best matched what I had in mind was the Wonder Woman v2 one. But I didn't liked that hair. Fire's hair has a nice sculpt with a very nice shape, but did not fitted the head proportions, plus the fringe is oriented in the wrong direction. So in the end I chose a Wonder Woman v1 hair, which needed some adaptation to fit on the head, but the final result was closer to what I aimed for, which was Dream Girl's look from the 80's, and in special the one drawn by Greg LaRocque.

The following photos show this phase of the project:

ImageImage

The next step was to sculpt the hair fringe. After the experince on putty sculpting that I have built from previous customs, Dreamy's fringe took very little time, and I was happy with the first trial I made. The ring was made from a small piece in my custom fodderThen I made the first paint test, to see if the tones (specially the skin one) were right...

After that paint test I decided to fill in the squared hole in Wonder Woman's hair with putty.

The most time consuming part was to work on the painted details. In her case the costume design is so simple that painting the costume lines right becomes critical. I went the extra mile with the boots (adding their moon-shaped pattern) and wrist (painting the intricate multi-moon pattern from the LaRocque era). And some tiny extra detail, which I'll reveal this later.

The final touch was made by using matt varnish for skin and hair, and glossy varnish for the silver costume and the ring.

And that was it! You can see more photos of the final result below...

To end this post, a close-up to show you an extra detail that I added to the custom... what's Dream Girl without her characteristic star-shaped mark? In this case this was painted using the tip of a sewing pin.

And that's all for today. Next post will describe the process for another LOSH Challenge custom, so stay tuned!

Last edited by mentalpower on Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Mentalpower's customs -NEW- Dream Girl! - pg.5
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:55 am 
proverbial old fart

WOW! Fabulous work! Loved them all! Thanks so much for sharing your talent with us lesser mortals!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:26 am 
AFA Graded

I want one. :mrgreen:

AFi Positive Feedback: +199

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:40 am 
Daniel Pickett

Amazing stuff once again... and the fact that you painted on the star mark? Wow.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:04 am 
ABS

Thanks for your comments, guys!

I am quite advanced with the next post in the series, so please come back soon to check part two...

Post subject: Mentalpower's customs -NEW- Chameleon Boy! - pg.5
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:55 am 
ABS

Hello:

This is the second issue in the series of posts related to my custom entries for the Legion of Superheroes Challenge. Today's spotlight is on the Legion of Superheroes' best detective and spy...

Chameleon Boy

ImageImage

My love for this character started with 'The Universo Project' story arc in the Legion of Superheroes books back in the 80's. He had an important role on helping Saturn Girl, Dream Girl and Brainiac 5 to escape from a prison planet. So he has been in my want list for a long time.

It is fun when one thinks about how customizers have several paths tou find the proper base figure for a custom. In this case it was cristal clear to me from the first 10 seconds I had Mattel's JLU Cosmic Boy figure in my hands. In my opinion is not the best of the Matty 4-pack, but that jaw shape was exactly what I needed for Chameleon Boy. The look I had in mind was the one from the 80's, in yellow and purple, and thus when I decided to start this project I collected some reference pics from Greg LaRocque run in the book.

The first step was to sculpt his bald, rounded head directly in the plastic. I trimmed it manually with a x-acto knife, first making big slices to take the hair apart but then making smaller ones until I approximated the rounded shape. Then I sanded it down with sanding paper and lots of patience, until I had it round and smooth. I also sanded the rest of the body to erase mold lines and imperfections.

Next step was to create the antennae. After considering several options and almost deciding to use a paper clip, I found some tin wire from a electronic board capacitor coming from an old radio that I dismantled long time ago. It had not only the right thickness but also was bendier than the paper clip, so I could give it the curve I wanted. I cut two wire pieces, then I dremmeled two thin holes some milimiters into the plastic head, and then inserted the wires. Once they were in place I bended them in the right shape. The pictures below show this stage of the process:

ImageImage

Next step was to do all the sculpting that required epoxy putty. First I sculpted the shoulder pads carefully, then I sculpted the pointy ears and used a bit of putty for the tips and base of the antennae. I also added a ring coming from a small piece in my custom fodder. At this stage one could start recognising the character, it had all the main elements already there, as you can see in the pictures below:

ImageImage

I was so eager to see how it would look like that I did a first paint test... although this time the paint test is more than an early draft. I was so happy to see how it was looking that I could not stop until I had a quite good approximation for all the costume lines and colors were solid enough.

ImageImage

From this point all I had to do was to improve the paint applications. As in the case of the Dream Girl custom and some others in the past, Chameleon Boy costume has a very simple design, so getting the few costume lines right becomes vital. In this case the trickiest part were the rounded chest lines, basically to have them not only flowing correctly but also to have them both looking centered and similar. Other areas of special care were the eyebrows so they would match the character in the comics.

To finish the custom all the figure was coated in matt varnish, except for the ring, that is coated in glossy varnish.

And here you have more shots of the final result:

ImageImage

And we arrived to the end of this post. Hope you've find it interesting, because I'm already working on the next one!

Post subject: Re: Mentalpower's customs -NEW- Chameleon Boy! - pg.5
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:49 am 
proverbial old fart

:shock: :D WOW! Your Cameleon Boy is fabulous! I really hope you take on other Legionnaires. I'd love to see you try your hand at Shrinking Violet, Gates and Xs.

Thanks again for sharing your talent!

Post subject: Re: Mentalpower's customs -NEW- Chameleon Boy! - pg.5
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:27 am 
ABS

Thanks for your comments, Glenn!

Funny enough, one of your wishes will come true in the next days, so keep coming back to check it ;-)

Post subject: Mentalpower's customs -NEW- Sun Boy! - pg.5
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:31 am 
ABS

Hi:

Today I continue the series of posts related to my custom entries for the Legion of Superheroes Challenge, focusing on a lucky member that usually could be seen dating gorgeous girls, inspiring some envy from the Legion lads and many criticism and gossiping from the Legion gals...

Sun Boy

ImageImage

Inspiration to get the base to use for this custom came in a similar way as in the case of Chameleon Boy: once I had the Mattel JLU Lightning Lad in my hands (which is my favourite in Matty's Legion 4-pack), I saw the opportunity to turn it into a Sun Boy. I was looking for a handsome face (the guy is supposed to have an irrisistible look) and Lightning Lad matches what I had in mind. The hair shape was also adequate, the only thing to be fixed was to change the orientation of the fringe. I had many reference images to use, as his costume design had almost no variations from the 60's to the 80's.

So the first step was to fix the hair. I started by re-sculpting his hair line directly in the plastic, as shown in the photo below:

Then some putty was added to complete the hair fringe. Also shoulder pads were sculpted in putty with the same shape I experimented in Chameleon Boy. A ring was added to his right hand by using a small rounded piece from my custom fodder. The rest of the body was sanded to erase mold lines and imperfections.

The images below show this stage of the process:

ImageImage

At this point I made a first paint test to decide the proportions for the different costume lines (gloves, short pants, boots) that would guide me in the proportions for the collar to be sculpted. I am really happy on the collar sculpt. I used a small flat screwdriver to help me in the process and it went really as I had it in mind, so I'm feeling now more confident on my sculpting ability with the putty.

The photos below show this step of the customizing process...

ImageImage

Next step was to add the belt and the pants' details in paper. I also used paper in the base star pattern for the chest logo. Again this was useful to make sure proportions were right.

ImageImage

The final step was to carefully work in the paint applications to have solid colors and smooth lines. The chest logo received special attention, even with the paper pattern it was challenging to have crisp, rounded lines. The figure was then all coated in matt varnish, while the Legion ring was coated in glossy varnish.

And here you have some extra shots of the final result:

ImageImage

Hope you enjoyed the post, as I am already working in part 4!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next