Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: WHAT PAINT CAN I USE TO PAINT MY CUSTOM DC FIGURES???
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:05 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

I am new to all of the action figure customization, and I wanted to know what paint I could use to make my figures look like the ones that the four horsemen show at comic con. They look so awesome that they don't even look like plastic at all. They almost look like mini statues. Please help me and thank you!! :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: WHAT PAINT CAN I USE TO PAINT MY CUSTOM DC FIGURES???
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:03 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Actually, the figures the 4H show usually aren't plastic action figures.

If they are showing the 2ups or paint masters, they literally are "little statues" and more of a casting material or wax than they are plastic.

As for paints, check out your local modeller's shop and try some of the acrylic based paints. Most will work well for action figures that have been given a base coat of primer and every customizer will likely recommend their own personal preference brand.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:02 am 

Wow. Really? That is a bummer cause they look awesome!

As far as the paint, I really don't like the custom figures looking shiny, but more of a statue coloring...do you still recommend acrylic paint for that?

And also is the acrylic paint also looks good on statues?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:29 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

To get rid of the shiny finish you will need to use a Matte sealer. "Matte" is the magic word you want to look for.

Again, a lot of it will depend on the base material of the sculpt/figure itself. You will almost always have to use a primer of some sort, partly to help the paint bond to the plastic, partly to help control the way the final color appears based on the under tones of what you are painting over.

There are others on the board that are much more informed and better able to guide you, but these are the basics to get you started.

Check some of the other threads, Jin's in particular for some great tutorials, to get more info before you get started in the wrong direction.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:28 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Acrylic paint is a MUST for action figures. Whatever you do, do not use enamal as it will never dry. One of my first "customs" was made over 30 years ago and I used Testor's enamal (model car paint) on a Fisher-Price Adventure people figure, I still run across that thing every so often when I'm searching for something else and it is still very tacky to the touch.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:25 pm 
PVC

If you check out my custom action figure works in progress postings, you'll see that I STRONGLY recommend using hobby acrylics such as Citadel Paints (or my personal favorites Vallejo paints). They will give you that matte finish, statue look you seek.

You will need to be patient and properly sand, prep, and primer your surfaces prior to painting. But the results are SO worth the effort! Best of luck, and let us see what you come up with!

ROBIN: Atomic batteries to power. Turbines to speed.
THE BATMAN: Roger. Ready to move out.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:22 pm 

Darklord1967 wrote:
If you check out my custom action figure works in progress postings, you'll see that I STRONGLY recommend using hobby acrylics such as Citadel Paints (or my personal favorites Vallejo paints). They will give you that matte finish, statue look you seek.

You will need to be patient and properly sand, prep, and primer your surfaces prior to painting. But the results are SO worth the effort! Best of luck, and let us see what you come up with!

Where can I check out your customs??? And you think you could give me a step by step tutorial on how to get that matte finish? I can even donate through paypal if I need to!!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:06 pm 
Daniel Pickett

You can see DarkLord's AMAZING customs (and his step-by-steps) in this thread - viewtopic.php?f=31&t=22736