Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Looking For Some Feedback About Possible Annihilator Casting
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:47 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

Hey guys just wanted to get your opinions about something I've had in the works for a while.

I'm trying to gauge possible demand for something I'm thinking of casting and making available. The figure is a scale version of the Annihilator from the JLU Episode "Hawk and Dove".

I made the figure with the idea of possibly casting it for resale but I am just looking for some feedback to see the possible interest level at this point.

Price wise I'm not sure yet, but I am thinking around $75. This is to scale and will require a lot to make hence the potential price point.

Here's a few pics to show you how it came out.

Post subject: Re: Looking For Some Feedback About Possible Annihilator Cas
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:50 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Well, very nice custom, first of all! I really like the smoothness of the finishing. Very professional-looking, and I enjoy the hands especially. They add a bit of character to what's otherwise a big robot-like thing. If I had any criticism of the piece, it's that the vehicle on the show seemed a bit wider in girth, but that's a tiny nit-pick.

As far as casting it, while I do think there might be a few fans out there interested, it's essentially a prop of a character without any real character to speak of. So, while castings of the TNBA Clayface definitely sold, I doubt that this one would, especially given the price range (which, going by the amount of materials you'd need, might end up being more than 75 dollars).

It's up to you - if you'd like to cast it, I'm sure you could find a couple of buyers either here or on Ebay.

Thanks for sharing it! What materials did you make it out of, and is it articulated? How long did it take to complete?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:03 pm 

If I do end up casting it, I would use a basic two part resin.

The figure has some articulation in the waist, but otherwise its a 5 piece casting with shoulders and head that don't move.

The reception has been pretty good actually so far and I've gotten a handful of people that have asid they will buy if I make do end up casting but the way things look right now I will have to do some sort of preorder.

I am still figuring out the potential pricing on the figure at this point but once that's in stone I will setup a preorder through paypal and depending on materials cost if I get a certain number of orders I will go through with casting it but I'm still a bit away from that yet so its all in the air right now.

Thanks for the feedback, its always good to get some input from folks and nice to hear what they think of the work I'm doing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:05 pm 

Also I had thought about bulking him up a bit cause the upper legs seem a bit thin, like you said, in the show he seems a bit more bulky and I think thickening up the legs a tad would help the over all look of the piece.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:15 am 

http://geekvarietycustoms.dchallofjusti ... om-casting

The Annihilator is real and for sale currently.
This is an extremely limited edition item thats already half way to its end run # so
if you're interested in the piece get it now before its sold out. Once it reaches the sell out
point it will be pulled from the store.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:24 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

Well I've just brought one of these before they are no longer on your site. Generally I prefer to make my own customs but this is too well done to pass up.

Now I just need to pick up a casting of Casimir's Clayface. But can't afford that this month unfortunately.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:48 am 

Thank you very much!

I appreciate the support and the compliment.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:02 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

No problem. I was gonna ask as it goes, any reason why you casting guys don't cast figure parts like in this diagram? I just think it would enable much easier part swapping and keep some articulation. Also, I did that diagram using Amazo as I hoped someone would be able to break the figure apart like that, cast it, use Hydro Span in the mold, scale it up and recast it and give us a properly sized Amazo but that had the exact same sculpt as the smaller figures. My idea was the fact the parts were joined together by sprues that they would all scale up equally.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:16 am 

Stew has actually made that figure and had it in the store for a time, not sure if he currently does though.

The long as the short of it is this, cost.

First, its not cheap to make castings and to do a setup like that means just for the body you have 4 mold parts cause you have to make
2 part molds to make those pieces.

Second, the molds don't last very long and you have to constantly update your molds cause they wear out after maybe 10-15 uses generally. So again this leads back to the cost issue, if we did do two part molds the cost would far outweigh the benefit and also
the fact remains that the want by collectors or customizers is somewhat minimal for certain figures like that and they don't sell well
enough to justify the cost that goes into making them.

The Annihilator was a passion project for sure and I had some help with the costs on it so it made it easier to make it happen cause
there was some interest in it. Generally I'm just kinda shooting in the dark for the most part when it comes to making kits or I
make the things I want to have and if other people like them and want to buy them, well that's a bonus.

Like with the Baroness kit, that's something I made strictly for myself but had a few other people say they wouldn't mind picking
up 1 so I put it in the store. I figured I'm already making them so may as well see if anyone else is interested in it.

It really is a crap shoot a lot of the time cause people love to say how much they want something but when it comes down to it
9 out of 10 times they don't show up so its a dicey proposition investing time and money into this with little hope of a return most times.

I hope that kinda clears things up a little but feel free to hit me up with questions either here or on CJ or on my store if you think of
anything else cause I'm always happy to share any knowledge I have with folks.