Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: HELP: question about tubes / piping on steampunk figures
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:59 am 
Tis' but a pup

I see so many cool steampunk figures and customs I wanted to try my hand at some. Finding gears was easier than I thought, but I am having a little trouble locating pieces that would be good for the tubing or conduit. I just heard about using guitar strings which I am going to explore. Are there any other suggestions? I saw some tubing on Ebay that is from Lego sets and wondered if it would work. It has that ridged detail like conduit has and that is what i am looking for. Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks!

Post subject: Re: HELP: question about tubes / piping on steampunk figures
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:17 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

The LEGO tubes are pretty bulky so unless you are doing 12 inch scale I don't think they would be a very good option. The LEGO tubing might work if you were going to split it and use it as a detail but using it as tubing would probably only work with large scale figures cause of the size of the tube. What scale are you trying to work within?

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:41 am 
Tis' but a pup

This would be for Marvel Legends scale.
You know from the replies I got on another board, I think I was confusing people when I said piping, since that probably indicates the edging around the metal plates or something along those lines. What I meant were the hoses that look like connectors, or the steam pipes. I think the Lego hoses might actually work.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:10 pm 

DarthVeach wrote:
You know from the replies I got on another board, I think I was confusing people when I said piping, since that probably indicates the edging around the metal plates or something along those lines. What I meant were the hoses that look like connectors, or the steam pipes. I think the Lego hoses might actually work.

Did you mean the tubes like in this schematic? The ones that look like a bunch of single hole round pieces stacked on top of one another? That's what I thought you were talking about.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:28 pm 
Daniel Pickett

there are many sizes of shrink tubing that may work. My dad used to use that all the time for radio repair and such. I think you can still find that sort of thing at Radio Shack.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:35 am 
Tis' but a pup

GeekVarietyDotCom wrote:
DarthVeach wrote:

Did you mean the tubes like in this schematic? The ones that look like a bunch of single hole round pieces stacked on top of one another? That's what I thought you were talking about.

Yep, exactly! That is why i was thinking the Lego hoses that look like this might work. Most of the electronic or aquatic tubing I find is smooth.

http://www.sayce-jones.co.uk/lego/cad/hose/hose180.jpg

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:12 pm 

For legends it might not be a bad size but anything smaller and I think it would be too large.

You can go here http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Pick-A-Brick-11998 to the LEGO pick-a-brick page and order parts individually. I haven't looked to see if they have the tubes on there but I would imagine they do cause they have damn near everything else on there :D

Good luck.