Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Newbie needs help with long fingers
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:32 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Hi all, just registered for these boards... I'm brand new here and so if I'm doing anything wrong in making this thread, I apologize.

I've never really done custom figure work before, and I'm afraid what I'm working on is not comic related, rather it is related to the video game Half-Life.

I recently was at a shop called Toy Vault which is great, lots of superhero figures, 80's movie figures, etc. I noticed a Gordon Freeman figure from Necca there and buying it was a foregone conclusion. It's quite cool, and it came with a headcrab:

As soon as I saw that headcrab I started thinking to myself... maybe I could make a custom headcrab zombie figure? I soon learned the headcrab had a hole in the bottom but it was not large enough to fit on Gordon's head. I was resigning myself to just having the headcrab sit in front of my monitor. But I kept thinking... there's got to be a way to make a custom figure.

So I went back to the store and looked for any figure that looked viable to work with. I found a cheap Peter Petrelli Heroes figure for only $6, and it looked very viable. Moreso than anything else in the store that I saw. Looked like pretty much the right size, etc. So I grabbed it, and have been working this evening on making it into a headcrab zombie.

I know I'm long-winded btw! Sorry about that. Always have been. Here are my progress pics so far:

Thankfully he came with 2 sets of hands. That gave me two chances to get the hands right.

I knew I needed to elongate the fingers, and in the first pic there you can see what it looks like in the game Half-Life 2. I tried sodder and I tried needles, neither worked. Clipped safety pins worked reasonably well, and I tried to flesh them out with some puff paint type stuff that worked alright... or at least, worked alright on one hand. The other hand didn't turn out nearly as well. Neither hand turned out great though...

I feel I may just want to start the hands over again with the other pair.

But I'm looking for the best possible plan of how to elongate these fingers. I briefly toyed with the idea of using a lighter to melt them, but I didn't really believe they'd cooperate with elongating. I have clay but I worry if I made long spindly clay fingers they'd droop.

Any thoughts from you awesome experts would be greatly appreciated and either way, thank you for tolerating my noobishness.

Post subject: Re: Newbie needs help with long fingers
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:25 am 
Daniel Pickett

Hey Headcrab,

Welcome to AFi! This is absolutely the place to talk about this sort of thing.

I would suggest getting a bit of Super Sculpy to make the fingers, maybe a combination of SS and the paper clips. You should be able to get Super Sculpy at most big craft stores and can sometimes even find it in different colors.

Super Sculpy is a type of clay that can be cured and painted. There are a couple of ways you can cure it - with a hair dryer or with boiling water.

I'd say keep the paper clips in place to keep the strength and under-structure there, just sculpt the fingers you want around them.

Just my $.02.

Keep us posted with your progress!

Daniel

Post subject: Re: Newbie needs help with long fingers
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:56 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Thanks very much for the input, earlier today (before I saw your suggestion) I was trying something else I'd considered. I tried making new fingers on the other set of hands that came with the figure using clipped ends of small zip ties which I bent over to achieve a knuckle effect.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, here's how it stands now:

I may end up getting some of the stuff you mentioned as a way to make the guts and ribs. I'm undecided if I'm going to do that part at all.