Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Best way to take a DCUC figure apart at the waist?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:12 am 
declined to be a vampire

I'm working on a Red Hood figure. I want the top portion of Mr Terrific (waist up) and the bottom half of the Young Justice Sportsmaster.

How do I take the figure apart at the midsection? I see a few things, but I can't turn him far enough to drill.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

Post subject: Re: Best way to take a DCUC figure apart at the waist?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:39 pm 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Try pulling on the two sections just slightly to get room to slide an Exacto blade in there. Carefully start your cut, then it should open up a bit more to give you more room.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:07 am 
declined to be a vampire

texgnome1 wrote:
Try pulling on the two sections just slightly to get room to slide an Exacto blade in there. Carefully start your cut, then it should open up a bit more to give you more room.

So are you saying to essentially cut the figure in half?

I mean, the turning articulation isn't that important to me, so I have no problem supergluing the figure together in the middle.

I saw a tutorial on using a dremmel and drilling, but he doesn't turn far enough.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:51 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

If you want to keep the waist articulation, then you can TRY, note I said try pulling the pelvis apart. But if you don't care, and some don't, then you can go the fast and easy route and cut him in half.

You might get in touch with Hunter Knight too. He's a DCUC / MOTUC customizer who has done LOTS of tutorials on DCUC figures. My experience is limited with them, since I specialize in JLU. He might know a better way.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:17 pm 
declined to be a vampire

texgnome1 wrote:
If you want to keep the waist articulation, then you can TRY, note I said try pulling the pelvis apart. But if you don't care, and some don't, then you can go the fast and easy route and cut him in half.

You might get in touch with Hunter Knight too. He's a DCUC / MOTUC customizer who has done LOTS of tutorials on DCUC figures. My experience is limited with them, since I specialize in JLU. He might know a better way.

I don't mind losing the articulation at the waist to turn him left or right...just not sure how to do it.

I'll do some more searching online for some tutorials.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:13 am 
shirtless hugger

I used Buzzy Fret's tutorial over on The Fwoosh (http://thefwoosh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=56268) and was able to successfully crack open a figure's pelvis/remove the legs without having to dismantle the rest of the figure as well.

Looking for: MOC trilingual Super Powers Flash, and any pre-production Super Powers Flash items (proof cards, prototypes, etc.). Basically anything that's Super Powers and Flash related, I am interested in.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:23 am 
declined to be a vampire

Joe G. wrote:
I used Buzzy Fret's tutorial over on The Fwoosh (http://thefwoosh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=56268) and was able to successfully crack open a figure's pelvis/remove the legs without having to dismantle the rest of the figure as well.

I ended up drilling two small holes just above the figures waist when I turn him sideways and was able to crack him open enough to pull it out.

But I took an older GL and tried using Buzzy Fret's tutorial on taking the figure apart up top and I'm not having any luck at all.

I want to take a superboy wave 13's arms (shoulders too) and put it on a Young Justice Red Arrow. I'm making two Jason Todd Red Hoods. One with Sportsmaster Lower Torso and Mr Terrific Upper Body (which I already have broken clean and ready to paint). I was going to just take the arms off of superboy (not shoulders) and attach them to Young Justice Red Arrow Shoulders...but they don't fit. So I need the ability to take the whole thing off.

Problem is, I'm not sure they match on the inside and I haven't been able to crack that seem and get the upper body apart.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:24 am 
declined to be a vampire

Joe G. wrote:

I ended up drilling two small holes just above the figures waist when I turn him sideways and was able to crack him open enough to pull it out.

But I took an older GL and tried using Buzzy Fret's tutorial on taking the figure apart up top and I'm not having any luck at all.

I want to take a superboy wave 13's arms (shoulders too) and put it on a Young Justice Red Arrow. I'm making two Jason Todd Red Hoods. One with Sportsmaster Lower Torso and Mr Terrific Upper Body (which I already have broken clean and ready to paint). I was going to just take the arms off of superboy (not shoulders) and attach them to Young Justice Red Arrow Shoulders...but they don't fit. So I need the ability to take the whole thing off.

Problem is, I'm not sure they match on the inside and I haven't been able to crack that seem and get the upper body apart.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:54 am 
shirtless hugger

I haven't tested the upper-body crack yet, but if I do I'll let you know how it goes.

Looking for: MOC trilingual Super Powers Flash, and any pre-production Super Powers Flash items (proof cards, prototypes, etc.). Basically anything that's Super Powers and Flash related, I am interested in.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:02 am 
declined to be a vampire

Joe G. wrote:
I haven't tested the upper-body crack yet, but if I do I'll let you know how it goes.

Cool. I tried drilling the holes, but I couldn't get it to crack.

I still need to find another wave 13 superboy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:43 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Bunger43 wrote:
Joe G. wrote:

Cool. I tried drilling the holes, but I couldn't get it to crack.

I still need to find another wave 13 superboy.

Some figures crack open better than others. I've cracked open over a dozen successfully just by following Buzzy Frets tutorial. But everynow and again I get a figure that I can't crack open without ruining a lot of the figure. Most recent ones were a Jonah Hex figure and a Mr miracle. I would drill and try to crack and it wouldn't work. I keep trying til the plastic starts to warp. This makes me try the other side, most times if one side doesn't crack the other won't. I have even tried from the top shoulder with no luck. I think it has to do with the glue strength on some figures. Its so frustrating because I end up ruining the figure. I have just learned to either not work with that particular figure or develop a work around.

Hope this helps.