Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Safe Customs for Kids
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:39 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and have a custom question. I've been a custom fan for many years but never attempted a custom of my own.

I've got two kids and I'm wondering if there's any method or guidance you could suggest for custom painting a very basic figure that would be safe for kids to play with and likely to stand up to play (resist chipping or paint wear, etc.).

The project I want to attempt is really simple. The kids are really into Richard Scarry's Busytown and I've gotten one of them the set of 8 figures that came out in 2011.

Obviously that line didn't sell well and that resulted in them releasing Pig Will
http://www.amazon.com/Richard-Scarry-Bu ... B005HA657U
but not his friend Pig Won't! Unacceptable as the duo are always together, but understandable that most people wouldn't want to buy a two-pack with nearly identical pigs.

So I bought an extra Pig Will so I can paint his shirt and that will be Pig Won't.

Is this possible to do safely for play? I can't seem to determine on the figure or the package what the toys are made out of but it seems to be just some typical hard plastic.

Thanks for the help! Hopefully this sets my kids and I off on some fun custom projects for years to come.

Post subject: Re: Safe Customs for Kids
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:39 am 
Cold-cast

Hi, welcome to the site........and to customizing. Most toys are made of a hard plastic now a days but there are a few soft/rubbery material that are really not a good surface to paint on.

Just by looking at the figure that you posted the link for, it seems to be a hard plastic (am I right ?). If so, I use PRIMAcryl paint for all my customizing ( viewtopic.php?f=32&t=25078 ).........I started when my kids were 5 yrs old and they/we never had any issues with safety. My kids were old enough to know not to place the figures in their mouths.

I hope I was able to give you some kind of an answer that can help you.

D's

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:50 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Thank you so much for the reply! That's exactly what I'm looking for. My kids are a little younger than yours when you started, but they're definitely past the toys in the mouth stage.

So what I gather is I'm looking for PRIMAcryl (hopefully or some other high quality acrylic paint I assume) and since I'm just painting the figure's shirt a different color, just a single coat will do and then it dries, and that's it, right?

The toy is definitely a hard plastic and not the softer rubbery stuff that toys occasionally are. So I think it will work well with your method.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:51 pm 
Cold-cast

Hi again, there are different tricks to painting.......not sure of your history with painting but I thought I would throw it out there just in case.

If you want the best looking (in my opinion).....ie smooth texture, use water when your painting. Just dip (a little dip) your brush in a cup of water before you apply any paint to it, this will thin out the paint when you apply it to the figure. This also means you will have to do more than just one layer of paint (after each one dries). This will give you the best results (my opinion).......almost factory made.

Good luck and post your results (here) when your done......hope I've helped and have "fun" while your creating something for your kids

D's

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:38 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Sounds good. I'm totally new to painting as well as customs so all advice is welcome!

I'll definitely post pictures here after the painting is done!