Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What type of cloth for action figures' capes?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:20 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Hello. I'm new here and would really appreciate if someone could tell me the name of the material (e.g. cotton, silk, etc) that is often used to make capes etc for small action figures (about 4 -6 inches tall). I've tried a lot of materials but they just don't "flow" down and instead bundle up. The ideal material that I am looking for is the type that is used in the cape of the "Thundercats LJN Figures Jaga" figure and also on the "1988 TMNT Shredder" figure.

Since I don't know what the name of that particular fabric is, I cannot tell a storekeeper to find it for me. LOL! Please, I would greatly appreciate if someone could advice me on this matter.

Thank you so much! :)

Post subject: Re: What type of cloth for action figures' capes?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:37 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Hi... did you ever find out the answer to this question??
I also wish to know for my Java figure

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:18 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Not sure exactly what was used on Jaga or Shredder but what you'll want is some sort of light weight stretch material since it's less prone to fraying. I don't know any proper or brand names for the type of material, just go to the fabric store and ask for something light-weight that stretches then look through the bolts and see if there's anything in the color/weight that you like.

There is also a product called "Fray Check" (there are probably some other brand names, too) that you might want to use to help with keeping the fabric from fraying, especially if you have to choose something that isn't stretchy to get the color you want. Basically Fray Check is a clear "glue" of sorts and it comes in a small bottle with a pointed tip, you just put a thin coat around the edge of the cut material and it will keep that edge from coming apart (within reason, don't expect it to hold up to a day of hard play in gravel, for example). You can apply straight from the bottle or you can brush it on with a paint brush or spread it with something like a toothpick. It can go on thick and gloppy if you're not careful so it's best to try different techniques with some scraps to see what works best before you go to work on your finished piece.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:24 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Hey Jim, thanks for all that info, very helpful.
I take a look at that product and take a trip to a fabric store to see what I can find.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:39 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Another thing to do with the Fray Check is to squeegee it over the entire piece but it will make the fabric stiff and plastic like, though that could be to your benefit if you want something that is slightly poseable on it's own. If you want to do that, lay out a piece of aluminum foil a bit larger than your fabric (shiny-side-up) and then use a small squeegee or stiff piece of cardboard to drag the Fray Check across the fabric and coat it with a thin coat of the stuff. If the fabric is thin enough you should only have to coat one side as it will soak through. If it doesn't, flip it over once the first side is dry and do it again. Allow plenty of time to dry before you try to remove it from the foil so it won't stick to something you don't want it to stick to.