Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: DC News & Views
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:04 am 
Knows his stuff

Here are some snippets of what I've been reading, maybe we'll get some ongoing discussion for this thread.

Let me preface this that I get some DC Comics weekly ($2.99 ones) from my LCS, and the rest on a monthly basis from an online source.

This is what I've read lately, thus far.

Batman #38: Batman investigates a double-homicide that is reminiscent of when his parents were murdered. By issue’s end, he derives to the conclusion of who the killer is. Getting a bit bored with this title.

Nightwing #36: The Judge is spreading his influence around. Pretty good storyline developing. Liked the mention of The Silencer here (future DC title/character). One thing I hate is the old trope being used here, in that a hero “fails” when he/she didn’t stop a villain when they were younger & that everything past that time falls on the hero. It’s just a flawed premise, if you ask me.

Dark Nights Metal #4/Hawkman Found #1: This event is getting stupid. The writing in DNM #4 was particularly bad, beginning with the Aquaman/Deathstroke scene (the fish was actually talking to Arthur), then the whole Starro encounter, ending with the brain sacrifice.

On a side note, I’m making a San Diego Comic-Con prediction, in that DC will be handing out a Plastic Man Egg.

Doomsday Clock #2: This was better than the previous issue, but I have to wonder why this is being published at the same time as Dark Nights Metal.

Super Sons of Tomorrow: The first part of this crossover, Superman #37, was a well written issue pitting Future Tim Drake/Batman against first Bruce, then Superman. But then the storyline went south, with Super Sons #11, Teen Titans #15, and Superman #18. I swear that someone else wrote these three issues—they were so bad. A wasted storyline.

Super Sons Annual #1: Super-Pets doodoo here. I can’t believe I paid money for this nonsense.

Red Hood/Outlaws #17: A Bizarro-led group of Outlaws & the Suicide Squad stealing a cache of weapons. I guess that was the point to this.

Titans #18: DC is all about time travelers lately in many of their titles, here with a future Donna Troy being bad. Geez, glad this story arc is over.

Deathstroke #26: Defiance has gone off the rails. This was Christopher Priest’s worst issue of the title.

Cyborg #19: I dropped this title a while ago, but thought the solicitation was interesting. I was wrong.

Man, a lot of bad DC tales this month. I have to think about some of these purchases.

Post subject: Re: DC News & Views
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:27 am 
Joint Unfreezer

DC is stretching out Metal way too long.

I wasn't impressed with the first issue of Doomsday Clock, I haven't read #2 yet, but don't think I'll make I through all 12 issues.

I acrtually like the Titans storyline and the Super Sons story.

Nightwing is starting to bore me.

Cyborg #20 is the final issue of the series.

IMO, the Green Lantern titles are the best DC comics. Jetsons is pretty good too!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:46 am 
Knows his stuff

Wonder Woman #36-37: A tad to melodramatic, as James Robinson pits Diana against Grail & Company. Two more gods enter the fray, and an even bigger battle takes place between the combatants. Robinson’s dialogue needs work—he’s over-writing. The art, although at parts inconsistent, is pretty good.

JLA #20: I dropped this title, but came back for the next three issues because the solicitations caught my eye.

The team takes on Prometheus in this story arc’s closing issue. Then the team turns on one another as they have a meeting. Wouldn’t be a bad idea to dissolve this team…or this title altogether.

JLA #21: Wanted to see how the “new” character interacts with Ray. Weird origin. More bad writing.

JLA Annual #1: I wanted to see why Lobo was on the team, what deal he made with Batman. The reveal was worse than the Super Sons Annual. Space dolphins.

If there’s a “Worst Issue of the Year” award, this would win hands down. The awful art matched the writing. Space dolphins. DC—end this thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:50 am 
Knows his stuff

jediblood wrote:
DC is stretching out Metal way too long.

I wasn't impressed with the first issue of Doomsday Clock, I haven't read #2 yet, but don't think I'll make I through all 12 issues.

I acrtually like the Titans storyline and the Super Sons story.

Nightwing is starting to bore me.

Cyborg #20 is the final issue of the series.

IMO, the Green Lantern titles are the best DC comics. Jetsons is pretty good too!

I think the biggest problem with Dark Nights Metal is that it's mainly a Batman event. I think it should be a Batman/Hawkman event--and hopefully the next issue will do this.To be honest, the whole metal thing & setup just doesn't work for me.

I'll probably get all of the Doomsday Clock, as I want to see where Doc Manhattan has been (he might be a disguised DC character).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:52 am 
Knows his stuff

jediblood wrote:
IMO, the Green Lantern titles are the best DC comics.

The Hal Jordan/GLC title is good. Don't like the GL title.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:18 am 
Knows his stuff

Harley/Ivy Meets Betty/Veronica #3: Each pair of women have swapped bodies and living the others’ lives, and to Betty/Veronica’s surprise a Reggie/Joker just showed up. Decent issue.

Scooby-Doo team-Up #33: Featuring the Legion of Super Heroes, pretty boring read about the gang helping out the LOSH with their “ghost” issue. Dumb premise here.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:05 am 
Knows his stuff

Action Comics #995: Superman, Booster, Skeets & an Eradicator travel to Booster’s timeline, and some are happy for his return, while Lois goes to help out her father, with a stowaway unbeknownst to her.

Really good issue. Good storytelling, with very good art by Brett Booth.

Sidenote: I’m really looking forward to The Terrifics title. That was a good preview in the back of this issue.

Detective Comics #972: Clayface vs. the Bat-team, while The First Victim relishes in the chaos unfolding. Outstanding issue.

Hal Jordan/GLC #36: The GL’s take on The Controllers to save The Guardians from extinction. Great end to this story arc, with more great art.

Suicide Squad #33: Guessing Si Spurrier is the new writer for this title. He chose to start off with a nobody involved with a mission, fighting alongside the Squad against a bug alien race. Decent enough of a start, story-wise. Will have to see how it goes. With Fernando Pasarin on art, this could make for a good team.

Really good week for DC titles.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:31 am 
Knows his stuff

Doomsday Clock #3: Good story developing with Batman/Rorschach, The Comedian/Veidt, and Mime/Marionette. I liked everything about this issue, too bad this maxi-series is going to have an issue every TWO months. Pretty bad that DC can’t keep such a major event on a monthly basis. It’s not like this was just planned out of the blue. Sad really.

Superman #39: Superman takes on The Demolition Team and then the Justice League gives kids from a cancer hospital a trip of a lifetime. Nice story. It’s weird though, I feel this issue was probably more of a Gleason-led story. Just the way the dialogue went.

Action Comics #996: Good story until Superman, Booster & Skeets entered the city. Things got overly complicated, with an ending that doesn’t make much sense. The Lois Lane part is getting a tad absurd with what she’s doing.

Hal Jordan/GLC #37: John has words with The Guardians—which was a bit off-putting—as it seemed to come out of nowhere, while Hal & Kyle encounter Team Zod. This looks like it could be a good story.

Super Sons #12: This issue was a good salvage of the “Super Sons of Tomorrow” storyline, although the Teen Titans seem to be a bit fractured. Whatever happens, it’s a good thing to see that Damian & Jon will always remain a team and be there for each other.

Detective Comics #973: The Bat Team tries to stop Clay Face, while Anarky sees what The First Victim is really trying to accomplish. Dramatic last page, to say the least. It’ll be an interesting next issue, that’s for sure.

Batman #39: Wonder Woman & Batman replace a guy who fights demons in another realm, and…holy cow Batman! That last page could be a doozy, and will have to wait & see.

Decent issue, but I’m tired of Tom King on this title. It’s too much soap opera for me. Heard Bendis might be taking over, but I don’t know if that would be much of an improvement.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:11 pm 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

It was officially announced that Bendis will be on Superman books for the foreseeable future (a mini series and then 2 monthlies after that).

I’m sure he will eventually get to the Bat family, but for now he is “a Jewish boy from Cleveland and I’m connected to Superman on the atomic level” (hell of a quote there)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:23 am 
Knows his stuff

Yeah, I saw that, It looks like he's going to pick up what's been going on with the title, so I'm feeling okay with it for the moment.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:24 am 
Knows his stuff

Nightwing #37: Nightwing talks about his history & that of which involving The Judge. Interesting enough.

Red Hood/Outlaws #18: Red Hood takes on the HIVE w/ an assist by Bizarro. The Creeper drops by, while we see something he’s hiding from the team. Good issue.

Detective Comics Annual #1: We learn the origin of Clay Face. Probably one of the best annuals I’ve read in a long time.

Batwoman #11: Picked this up for the Professor Pyg appearance. Typical Pyg story making Dollotrons. This was a really boring read.

Suicide Squad #34: Pretty dumb story. Hope this title gets better soon, as I’m starting to think I may drop it.

Damage #1: We see Damage escape from the Army. Now the chase begins, with a certain Squad on his tail. Good start.

The Silencer #1: Nice start, with an ex-Talia al Ghul assassin from Leviathon, who’s now a stay-at-home mom, being brought back into the fold for as of yet unknown reasons. This could turn out to be a decent title. I’m not a fan of Romita’s art style, but the writing on this was pretty good.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:27 am 
Knows his stuff

Deathstroke #27: I admit, I got a bit lost on this issue, the entire Terra/Rose thing especially. Defiance is to end soon, but it doesn’t seem to be a thing anymore now.

Titans #9: Arsenal takes on an assignment on his own, while the team is in flux. Okay issue.

Teen Titans #16: Starfire has to battle the minions of the lizard scientists, and she shows her power while doing so. Nice story.

Wonder Woman #38: I like the cover to this issue and the intro to how Silver Swan came about. I don’t like her look though. I think Robinson should jettison the Jason character, as he doesn’t work as a character and doesn’t do anything for this title. Things are getting to be too Supergirl (TV show) here. I’m seeing a Diana/Jason parallel to Supergirl/Mon-el thing going on here, “deciding to be a hero” thing. I enjoyed seeing ex-JLer Major Disaster (well, he was once upon a time, anyway).

Wonder Woman #39: Silver Swan & Wonder Woman battle. Jason enters the fray as well. We see Darkseid—with Grail—planning his next move. The writing here is weak. I would’ve liked to have seen more development of Swan’s abilities prior to her taking on Diana. She became a villain with all of her abilities overnight.

Harley Quinn #35-36: I’ve tried this title before, but could never get into the writing. I’m back trying it out with new writer Frank Tieri, but it seems he’s aping Palmiotti’s style, who always seemed to be paid by the word. I guess it works, because the sales are always good. I don’t think fans of the previous creative team will mind this change, as the writing is so similar. It’s just not for me.

Harley/Ivy Meet betty/Veronica #4: This miniseries is stuck in neutral, more of the same here. No real development into the body swaps, just the Reggie/Joker getting more time.

Scooby-Doo Team-Up #34: Daphne, Velma & Scooby join the BOP to take on some fowl creatures. The writing is pretty bad—just a rather boring story in general.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:36 am 
Knows his stuff

Superman #40: Superman & Jon go to help a planet that is going to suffer the same fate as Krypton. Okay start to this storyline.

Detective Comics #974: This is one of the best comics going on right now. This issue sees the aftermath of Kate’s decision to shoot Clayface. Amazing story, and it looks like things presented here are just the beginning.

Batman #40: Batman & Wonder Woman are still in the realm fighting the horde while Julian—The Gentle Man—and Selina go to see his wife. Good end to this story.

Nightwing #38: Wow. Really good story here. Interesting revelation at the end of this too.

Hal Jordan/GLC #38: Hal & Kyle (who has a slightly new look) are prisoners in the beginning of the issue, and one escapes by issue’s end. Another good story going on. I’m really impressed with Venditti on this title.

What’s cool about this story, is that they are on the same planet that we’re seeing the future version of presently in the Action Comics title.

Suicide Squad #35: The Squad is taking on Damage, while Hack re-emerges. Good issue.

Sideways #1: Interesting intro to this new hero. I’ll continue getting it. Rocafort’s a decent artist, I’m just not a big fan of his art style (it gets a bit “scratchy” at times, and the characters’ faces all have a drugged out look to them).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:04 am 
Knows his stuff

Batman & The Signal #1: Duke Thomas is trying to find out how his powers operate & how he got them, and how they are related to the other people in Gotham with new powers of their own. I was a bit confused while reading this, what his power actually was, the villain's power, and just some of the story in general.

Batman #41: Ivy has control of the population, all except Batman & Catwoman somehow. I'd like to see a new creative team on this title, as I'm not fond of the art & Tom King is writing a soap opera here.

Superman #41: Superman & Jon help out the only way they can, as the planet is about to implode. Okay story.

Nightwing #39: Interesting development to who The Judge is, but there needs to be more explanation to what he is now, what all of his abilities are, and how he became that way. Perhaps that's for another writer to tell.

It was recently revealed that this title is going monthly ($3.99) & that Benjamin Percy is taking over on issue #44. Didn't care for the solicit, and I'm not a big fan of Percy's, so it looks like #43 will be it for me.

With the cancellations (Super Sons, Titans, Teen Titans -- last two aren't in May solicits-- & other titles) & moving bi-weeklies to monthlies, it just seems to me that DC is going a bit backwards here. And now The New Challengers is going to be a miniseries, as opposed to an ongoing.

Damage #2: This is DC's Hulk, and I'm loving it. It's only two issues in but if they stay the course, this title could be around for awhile.

In the story, Ethan is trying to get his bearings, as the Suicide Squad confronts him. Surprise at the end, which should make for an interesting third issue.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:26 am 
Knows his stuff

Got a big stack this month, but it's March Madness, so my attention is elsewhere. Here's what I've read thus far:

Dark Nights Metal #5/Dark Nights Rising-The Wild Hunt: This event is utter rubbish. Nothing makes sense. After this ends, I’m definitely going on a Snyder break.

Red Hood/Outlaws #19: Jason & Artemeis go on a date, while Bizarro meets up with someone. Interesting issue. This title is one of my favorites.

Batman & The Signal #2: I could understand more in this than the previous issue, but the thing is, I just don’t care about what’s going on here. I’ll be skipping issue #3.

Super Sons #13: Jon & Damian are at school when Talia drops by. I wasn’t feeling the first half of this issue, with the school parts & all.

Wonder Woman #40: More of the same with Diana talking to Jason about being a hero, and then somehow Diana defeats Silver Swan. This was a poorly written issue.

Mera, Queen of Atlantis #1: Liked how this started off, as we see Ocean Master with the family he was with the last time we saw him. The Eel is here, good to see a different Aquaman villain being used. The story got a bit long-winded, but other than that, it was a positive first issue of this mini-series.

Sidenote: I like how on the cover DC has identified that this is a 6-issue mini-series. They did the same with Batman & The Signal (that being a 3-issue mini-series).

Titans #20: The team’s disbanded, & Donna’s in the Watch Tower. Roy gets help with Intergang. And some new players are added to the mix at issue’s end. Good story.

Superman #42: First we see Bizarro World (Htrae – Earth backwards) & all the backwards things going on. Got to be a bit much, but the writer gets an ‘A’ for effort. Jon & Kathy show up (I’m not fond of the Kathy character) for a moment, but then we get back to Earth. Jon gets a surprise at issue’s end. Will have to see where things go.

Action Comics #998: We get back to the moment from what this storyline originated out of & see if Oz could be who he says he is. Good end to this storyline.

Action Comics #999: The Kents & General Lane have a heart-to-heart. Good issue.