Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: DC News & Views
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:04 am 
Knows his stuff

Here are some snippets of what I've been reading, maybe we'll get some ongoing discussion for this thread.

Let me preface this that I get some DC Comics weekly ($2.99 ones) from my LCS, and the rest on a monthly basis from an online source.

This is what I've read lately, thus far.

Batman #38: Batman investigates a double-homicide that is reminiscent of when his parents were murdered. By issue’s end, he derives to the conclusion of who the killer is. Getting a bit bored with this title.

Nightwing #36: The Judge is spreading his influence around. Pretty good storyline developing. Liked the mention of The Silencer here (future DC title/character). One thing I hate is the old trope being used here, in that a hero “fails” when he/she didn’t stop a villain when they were younger & that everything past that time falls on the hero. It’s just a flawed premise, if you ask me.

Dark Nights Metal #4/Hawkman Found #1: This event is getting stupid. The writing in DNM #4 was particularly bad, beginning with the Aquaman/Deathstroke scene (the fish was actually talking to Arthur), then the whole Starro encounter, ending with the brain sacrifice.

On a side note, I’m making a San Diego Comic-Con prediction, in that DC will be handing out a Plastic Man Egg.

Doomsday Clock #2: This was better than the previous issue, but I have to wonder why this is being published at the same time as Dark Nights Metal.

Super Sons of Tomorrow: The first part of this crossover, Superman #37, was a well written issue pitting Future Tim Drake/Batman against first Bruce, then Superman. But then the storyline went south, with Super Sons #11, Teen Titans #15, and Superman #18. I swear that someone else wrote these three issues—they were so bad. A wasted storyline.

Super Sons Annual #1: Super-Pets doodoo here. I can’t believe I paid money for this nonsense.

Red Hood/Outlaws #17: A Bizarro-led group of Outlaws & the Suicide Squad stealing a cache of weapons. I guess that was the point to this.

Titans #18: DC is all about time travelers lately in many of their titles, here with a future Donna Troy being bad. Geez, glad this story arc is over.

Deathstroke #26: Defiance has gone off the rails. This was Christopher Priest’s worst issue of the title.

Cyborg #19: I dropped this title a while ago, but thought the solicitation was interesting. I was wrong.

Man, a lot of bad DC tales this month. I have to think about some of these purchases.

Post subject: Re: DC News & Views
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:27 am 
3 3/4"

DC is stretching out Metal way too long.

I wasn't impressed with the first issue of Doomsday Clock, I haven't read #2 yet, but don't think I'll make I through all 12 issues.

I acrtually like the Titans storyline and the Super Sons story.

Nightwing is starting to bore me.

Cyborg #20 is the final issue of the series.

IMO, the Green Lantern titles are the best DC comics. Jetsons is pretty good too!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:46 am 
Knows his stuff

Wonder Woman #36-37: A tad to melodramatic, as James Robinson pits Diana against Grail & Company. Two more gods enter the fray, and an even bigger battle takes place between the combatants. Robinson’s dialogue needs work—he’s over-writing. The art, although at parts inconsistent, is pretty good.

JLA #20: I dropped this title, but came back for the next three issues because the solicitations caught my eye.

The team takes on Prometheus in this story arc’s closing issue. Then the team turns on one another as they have a meeting. Wouldn’t be a bad idea to dissolve this team…or this title altogether.

JLA #21: Wanted to see how the “new” character interacts with Ray. Weird origin. More bad writing.

JLA Annual #1: I wanted to see why Lobo was on the team, what deal he made with Batman. The reveal was worse than the Super Sons Annual. Space dolphins.

If there’s a “Worst Issue of the Year” award, this would win hands down. The awful art matched the writing. Space dolphins. DC—end this thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:50 am 
Knows his stuff

jediblood wrote:
DC is stretching out Metal way too long.

I wasn't impressed with the first issue of Doomsday Clock, I haven't read #2 yet, but don't think I'll make I through all 12 issues.

I acrtually like the Titans storyline and the Super Sons story.

Nightwing is starting to bore me.

Cyborg #20 is the final issue of the series.

IMO, the Green Lantern titles are the best DC comics. Jetsons is pretty good too!

I think the biggest problem with Dark Nights Metal is that it's mainly a Batman event. I think it should be a Batman/Hawkman event--and hopefully the next issue will do this.To be honest, the whole metal thing & setup just doesn't work for me.

I'll probably get all of the Doomsday Clock, as I want to see where Doc Manhattan has been (he might be a disguised DC character).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:52 am 
Knows his stuff

jediblood wrote:
IMO, the Green Lantern titles are the best DC comics.

The Hal Jordan/GLC title is good. Don't like the GL title.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:18 am 
Knows his stuff

Harley/Ivy Meets Betty/Veronica #3: Each pair of women have swapped bodies and living the others’ lives, and to Betty/Veronica’s surprise a Reggie/Joker just showed up. Decent issue.

Scooby-Doo team-Up #33: Featuring the Legion of Super Heroes, pretty boring read about the gang helping out the LOSH with their “ghost” issue. Dumb premise here.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:05 am 
Knows his stuff

Action Comics #995: Superman, Booster, Skeets & an Eradicator travel to Booster’s timeline, and some are happy for his return, while Lois goes to help out her father, with a stowaway unbeknownst to her.

Really good issue. Good storytelling, with very good art by Brett Booth.

Sidenote: I’m really looking forward to The Terrifics title. That was a good preview in the back of this issue.

Detective Comics #972: Clayface vs. the Bat-team, while The First Victim relishes in the chaos unfolding. Outstanding issue.

Hal Jordan/GLC #36: The GL’s take on The Controllers to save The Guardians from extinction. Great end to this story arc, with more great art.

Suicide Squad #33: Guessing Si Spurrier is the new writer for this title. He chose to start off with a nobody involved with a mission, fighting alongside the Squad against a bug alien race. Decent enough of a start, story-wise. Will have to see how it goes. With Fernando Pasarin on art, this could make for a good team.

Really good week for DC titles.