Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: DC News & Views
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:21 pm 
Dog Squeezer

He had the Earth One story (Hardcover/TPB), like how he imagined WW as being--like how JMS did Superman & Geoff Johns did Batman.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:35 pm 
Dog Squeezer

The Flash #60: Flash meets up with Fuerza, the bearer of the Strength Force, in Part 3 of "Force Quest." Cool story with really good art. I might be sticking with the title for a bit.

Justice League Dark #6: The Phantom Stranger & John Constantine fall to Nabu, while Bobo fixes what he unleashed in Myrra. Good story & art. Will be getting this title again.

The Terrifics #10: The team battles Java & what he unleashed. The art isn't as good in this issue compared to the previous one, but it was still a good story. IIRC, this title is ending soon. Seems like they're wrapping things up anyway.

Titans #31: The writing just wasn't there in this issue. Abnett had Kyle Rayner staying on Earth one minute, then ready to leave the next, then had him staying with the team at the end. The whole scene with Batman was poor, and the thing with Beast Boy was too Red Lantern for me. The goodwill I had for #30 disappeared after reading this.

Red Hood - Outlaw #29: Jason teams up with Batwoman as they take on the Grundy-like creatures and save the day. Ehh...it was okay.

The Unexpected #'s 5-7: Dropped this at issue #1, but wanted to check out Hawkman's involvement in the present storyline. A lot of things are going on here, that makes for a convoluted mess. Not really interested in where things go from here.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:47 pm 
Dog Squeezer

Doomsday Clock #8 (of 12): Firestorm causes problems in Russia, while Superman tries to help matters. Interesting enough of an ending here, just wish things would move along a little more.

Hawkman #7: We see Carter's true origin, a bit dismal quite frankly. I haven't been feeling this title lately. Other than my pre-ordered issues, this is not going to be an automatic buy for me any more. Not a fan of Bryan Hitch's art here either. The title lost its mojo IMO.

Detective Comics #994: This issue was a tale of two halves for me. The first half with the murders looking like the Waynes' murders was intriguing, the 2nd half with the monster & the likely Joker connection just made me go "ehh."

Teen Titans #25: Saw some of Crush's background & more of Roundhouse's, although I was hoping for more than a Superman-esque one for Crush. Still don't know who both of her biological parents are, so that was a bit of a bait & switch.

Freedom Fighters #1: Germany won, but a new Freedom Fighters plan to bring America back in this Elseworlds tale. Don't know why they didn't do a present day story in the DCU, maybe use white nationalists or something. Don't see neither the point for this nor the need. As is, wasn't impressed with the story, won't be continuing.

Deathstroke #38: Slade is in Arkham, while Rose/Willow is with Two-Face. This is an overly complicated title. Hopefully both of these storylines end soon.

Wonder Woman #60: Saving the worst for last, as this may turn out to be the worst creative team ever assembled for this title. Writer G. Willow Wilson's knowledge of the characters seems to be based more on the Wonder Woman movie than anything that has happened in this title. And Cary Nord makes Wonder Woman look like a kid. DC needs to make wholesale changes on this title, including whatever editor thought this team would be a good fit. This is absolutely awful.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:19 pm 
Dog Squeezer

Damage #12: Damage throws down with Superman. Where do things go from here? Up. As in a price increase of a $1. I really enjoy this title, no matter what or how much. But I have to admit, this issue felt like they were starting to wrap things up. Time will tell.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:04 pm 
Dog Squeezer

I guess it shouldn't be a surprise, but I'm finding that a lot of things happening in DC Comics today have been influenced or inspired by DC Comics that came before them, whether it's the Silver, Bronze or even Modern Ages.

I've been perusing stuff on a comic online store of past comics, and I can see what has inspired so much of today. Like how previous Hawkman comics inspired Snyder's Dark Nights Metal for instance. Just looking at the covers and the brief descriptions of what's happening in the issue(s), I'm like "Wow, that's Dark Nights Metal."

I just checked it out again, and I can see that Bruce Jones' work on the Checkmate title, his Chimera character specifically, probably had a huge influence and more than likely was the inspiration for Damage.

And it's making me wish I had all of these comics, especially the much older ones. There's so many interesting storylines and so many first appearances, I wish I was able to see/read how so many things first started (in color preferably).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:37 pm 
Dog Squeezer

The Flash #62: Barry & Iris team up with Sage Force user Psych to go up against Roulette. Decent issue, although I was a bit disappointed with the origin for Gemini's power.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6