Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: DC News & Views
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:21 pm 
An Insider

He had the Earth One story (Hardcover/TPB), like how he imagined WW as being--like how JMS did Superman & Geoff Johns did Batman.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:35 pm 
An Insider

The Flash #60: Flash meets up with Fuerza, the bearer of the Strength Force, in Part 3 of "Force Quest." Cool story with really good art. I might be sticking with the title for a bit.

Justice League Dark #6: The Phantom Stranger & John Constantine fall to Nabu, while Bobo fixes what he unleashed in Myrra. Good story & art. Will be getting this title again.

The Terrifics #10: The team battles Java & what he unleashed. The art isn't as good in this issue compared to the previous one, but it was still a good story. IIRC, this title is ending soon. Seems like they're wrapping things up anyway.

Titans #31: The writing just wasn't there in this issue. Abnett had Kyle Rayner staying on Earth one minute, then ready to leave the next, then had him staying with the team at the end. The whole scene with Batman was poor, and the thing with Beast Boy was too Red Lantern for me. The goodwill I had for #30 disappeared after reading this.

Red Hood - Outlaw #29: Jason teams up with Batwoman as they take on the Grundy-like creatures and save the day. Ehh...it was okay.

The Unexpected #'s 5-7: Dropped this at issue #1, but wanted to check out Hawkman's involvement in the present storyline. A lot of things are going on here, that makes for a convoluted mess. Not really interested in where things go from here.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:47 pm 
An Insider

Doomsday Clock #8 (of 12): Firestorm causes problems in Russia, while Superman tries to help matters. Interesting enough of an ending here, just wish things would move along a little more.

Hawkman #7: We see Carter's true origin, a bit dismal quite frankly. I haven't been feeling this title lately. Other than my pre-ordered issues, this is not going to be an automatic buy for me any more. Not a fan of Bryan Hitch's art here either. The title lost its mojo IMO.

Detective Comics #994: This issue was a tale of two halves for me. The first half with the murders looking like the Waynes' murders was intriguing, the 2nd half with the monster & the likely Joker connection just made me go "ehh."

Teen Titans #25: Saw some of Crush's background & more of Roundhouse's, although I was hoping for more than a Superman-esque one for Crush. Still don't know who both of her biological parents are, so that was a bit of a bait & switch.

Freedom Fighters #1: Germany won, but a new Freedom Fighters plan to bring America back in this Elseworlds tale. Don't know why they didn't do a present day story in the DCU, maybe use white nationalists or something. Don't see neither the point for this nor the need. As is, wasn't impressed with the story, won't be continuing.

Deathstroke #38: Slade is in Arkham, while Rose/Willow is with Two-Face. This is an overly complicated title. Hopefully both of these storylines end soon.

Wonder Woman #60: Saving the worst for last, as this may turn out to be the worst creative team ever assembled for this title. Writer G. Willow Wilson's knowledge of the characters seems to be based more on the Wonder Woman movie than anything that has happened in this title. And Cary Nord makes Wonder Woman look like a kid. DC needs to make wholesale changes on this title, including whatever editor thought this team would be a good fit. This is absolutely awful.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:19 pm 
An Insider

Damage #12: Damage throws down with Superman. Where do things go from here? Up. As in a price increase of a $1. I really enjoy this title, no matter what or how much. But I have to admit, this issue felt like they were starting to wrap things up. Time will tell.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:04 pm 
An Insider

I guess it shouldn't be a surprise, but I'm finding that a lot of things happening in DC Comics today have been influenced or inspired by DC Comics that came before them, whether it's the Silver, Bronze or even Modern Ages.

I've been perusing stuff on a comic online store of past comics, and I can see what has inspired so much of today. Like how previous Hawkman comics inspired Snyder's Dark Nights Metal for instance. Just looking at the covers and the brief descriptions of what's happening in the issue(s), I'm like "Wow, that's Dark Nights Metal."

I just checked it out again, and I can see that Bruce Jones' work on the Checkmate title, his Chimera character specifically, probably had a huge influence and more than likely was the inspiration for Damage.

And it's making me wish I had all of these comics, especially the much older ones. There's so many interesting storylines and so many first appearances, I wish I was able to see/read how so many things first started (in color preferably).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:37 pm 
An Insider

The Flash #62: Barry & Iris team up with Sage Force user Psych to go up against Roulette. Decent issue, although I was a bit disappointed with the origin for Gemini's power.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:40 pm 
An Insider

Remember what I said about the Damage title? Its final issue is in April, according to DC solicits. I'll continue to enjoy it until the end.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:23 am 
Joint Unfreezer

starks wrote:
Remember what I said about the Damage title? Its final issue is in April, according to DC solicits. I'll continue to enjoy it until the end.

Same with Titans and Scooby Apocalypse. Issue #36 will be the end for both titles.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:02 pm 
An Insider

I tried Titans recently because of the title bringing in Kyle Rayner. One issue was good, so I thought it showed promise. But then the next issue was pretty poor.

I never tried that Scooby-Doo title, as that wasn't Scooby-Doo IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:33 am 
Joint Unfreezer

It definitely wasn't the Scooby that we know, but it was an interesting take on it and pretty good, IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:45 pm 
An Insider

Heroes in Crisis #4: Both Harley & Booster are getting help from separate heroes, while Lois Lane decides to tell the world about Sanctuary in this rather slow burn of a miniseries.

Shazam #2: Marco Santucci's art doesn't miss a beat, as he provides some stellar work instead of regular (?) penciller Dale Eaglesham. The Marvel Family search the mystery of the power bestowed upon them, while the Vasquez's get an unexpected visit. We also see Sivana & Mr. Mind, and get a bit of a backstory for the dangerous caterpillar. Really good issue.

Damage #13: It's Batman's turn to have a word with Damage, and it doesn't go well. Good issue, but why is Fin Fang Foom in the DCU?

Teen Titans #26: The team goes to the Batcave, while Damian has a heart-to-heart with Alfred, then speaks to Red Arrow regarding the Red Hood. Things just got really interesting in this issue.

Batman - Detective Comics #995-996: Peter Tomasi starts his run by killing a member of the Bat family confidantes (while also killing other influential people to Bruce), as someone is attacking those that have shaped Batman into the person/hero he is today. The obvious answer is Professor Hugo Strange, but I'm going with James Gordon Jr.

Batgirl #30: Trying this title out, so far so good, as I'm introduced to a title with good writing & good art. Commissioner Gordon is battling corruption in the GCPD--what else is new--and an upstart running for Congress is demonizing him in the process. And Barbara/Batgirl is putting herself in her father's crosshairs.

Deathstroke #39: Hugo Strange has his grips onto Slade in Arkham, while Two-Face is trying to cure Rose. I think next issue will close the chapter on both storylines--thankfully.

Hawkman #8: Carter converses with his former self from Krypton. Decent issue, but until this Deathbringer stuff concludes, I'll be steering away from this title, as I'm just not into this change to the Hawkman mythos.

Wonder Woman #61-62: Speech writing doesn't a good comic make.

The Flash #63: Barry learns the secret behind the forces. It was a good issue for what it was, I just don't like the whole forces thing and it's starting not to make sense.

Justice League Dark #7: The title goes all EC Comics, while Man-Bat/Kirk Langstrom breaks the fourth wall by telling us stories about members of the Other Kind. Good stuff.

The Terrifics #12: Just like I had a feeling Damage was about to end, I feel the same for this title (by the conclusion of this storyline), as this title has really run its course.

Mr. Terrific is captured by Doc Dread (Java), while the other Terrifics are dealing with their own issues.

The Silencer #13: Just as the cover says for this issue, we get the origin of The Silencer. Pretty interesting, albeit a bit expected.

Scooby-Doo Team-Up #46: featuring Black Lightning, as he & the gang take on a different gang trying to infiltrate the high school Jefferson Pierce teaches at. A bit wordy in a lot of places, not one of the better issues for this title.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:25 am 
An Insider

Heroes in Crisis #5-6: Still no true answers to who's behind everything. Wally was first hit with Harley's hammer on the porch, now he's inside being blasted by Booster (who could very well be the Sanctuary Booster we've seen). There's a lot of misdirection, not enough of a forward direction in this miniseries.

Batman/The Flash #64-65: The Price, spinning out of Heroes in Crisis, shows the price of being a hero. And just like what this was spawned from, no real resolution in this either.

A crazed Gotham Girl is causing problems for Batman & The Flash. No Duke Thomas here, not even a mention--which is odd. What's even odder is no mention of Bane from Batman, who cares if she's using a hyped up Venom, etc.

This crossover was a waste IMO.

Detective Comics #997-999: I'm not doing great with DC titles this month. Although it's good to see that Tomasi wasn't really killing characters to start off his run. Everything was a simulation that Bruce was putting himself thru, something he does every year it seems on his birthday.

Maybe they should just have him get a birthday cake, instead of having him in a tube putting himself through torture (the tube is reminiscent of what Gotham Girl was using BTW).

So the start of Tomasi's run wasn't a real story. And for me, another waste of money. I'm ordered up to #1002, but past that, this won't be an automatic buy. Not a fan of a bait & switch, and not particularly a fan of Mahnke's art style.

Speaking of Mahnke, he messed up a bit with #997. In the story, Batman had fired an earpiece from his cowl into a shark. So he should've only had one earpiece through the rest of the story, but he had two.

The Batman Who Laughs #3: I always get interested any time James Gordon Jr. makes an appearance, so I got this, even though I didn't get #1-2. This issue was a bit dumb for me.

Here's a question. How much more is Scott Snyder going to milk the Batman Who Laughs character?

I don't know how you feel, but Dark Nights Metal didn't work for me. It was a good concept, but the execution--like a lot of what Snyder brings to the table--failed.

Shazam #3: I don't know what causes the delays for this title, I'd suspect Geoff Johns, but if it is Dale Eaglesham--I could slightly be okay with it. I'm not a fan of delays generally speaking, but this guy's artwork is so phenomenal. He puts so much on the page, so you can see that it would be/could be painstakingly "slow." Every time this title does show up, it's the best thing on the shelf. Hands down.

The story--the kids are in the Fun Lands--is absolutely top notch. And the art elevates it even more. Look at the cover. Tell me you wouldn't put that on your wall. Then open up to the first three pages alone, my god, it's amazing.

I need more titles like this in my comic book reading.

Teen Titans Annual #1: So good. Two stories, the first half had Damian confronting The Red Hood about whether or not he had any connections to The Other, while the second half had the team (minus Robin) confronting a new villain named Joystick (he controls people).

Teen Titans #27: We learn of Djinn's backstory and get a peak of some of Roundhouse's home life. Hopefully we'll learn how his powers came about soon, that's the only thing missing.

This team is really evolving. I'm really enjoying this title.

Deathstroke #40: Slade gets out of Arkham, while Rose defuses the situation with Two-Face. A LOT is going on in this issue, which is normal. Teen Titans crossover coming up. Could be good.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:43 am 
An Insider

Batgirl #31-32: I liked #31 better than #32, as I felt the story was much tighter. We learn who Cormorant is, but not who hired him.

Nightwing #57: Don't normally get this, but the cover with The Joker's Daughter reeled me in. Eh, it was an okay story. I might check this title out on a more consistent basis when Dan Jurgens starts his run.

Justice League Dark #8: While Zatanna & Wonder Woman are on a quest to find Mordru, Bobo tries to save the other magic wielders from The Otherkind. A little out of the frying pan & into the fire, it seems. This title is much more interesting now.

Action Comics #1008: dropped this awhile ago, but thought this sounded interesting. And it is, as Leviathan is taking out all of the other military/spy organizations--good and bad alike. I might have to get this title again or get the trade.

Green Arrow #49: Don't follow this title either, but wanted to check this out for a couple of reasons. I like the Count Vertigo character, so that was an initial draw for me. I also wanted to check out how they plan to close out this chapter for the Green Arrow character/title (getting #50 too).

Good story, one that had a tie with Roy Harper. The end was rather interesting as well, so I'm looking forward to #50. The art isn't the best, but I wouldn't mind seeing this team on another title.

Sounds like this title is going to get a GL-like revamp, according to Didio.

Harley Quinn #58: I'll admit, the cover was the draw for me. But there was a pretty decent story within, as Batman & Harley team up to solve a murder.

Hawkman #9: I think this is my last pre-ordered issue. Man, Robert Venditti really lost his grip on this title, hasn't he? I felt this was a poor version of the Man of Steel movie, but with Hawkman. This Deathbringers stuff is just nonsense. Once he gets past this, maybe I'll check this title out again--if it lasts past that, that is.

One positive was the variant cover.

Wonder Woman #63: Emanuela Lupacchino's artistic talent is being wasted on this title.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6