Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Other Comics News & Views
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:35 am 
Damage Control

Here is where I'd like to talk about other comics, not under the DC or Marvel umbrella.

I get these comics once a month, so I'll be talking about these later than most. Here goes:

Monstro Mechanica #1: Like most of Aftershock’s offering, I think their titles could use a strong editorial voice, a group editor that can guide titles along. This title definitely needs it.

Leonarda da Vinci, his female assistant & an automation/robot against the pope & the Medici family. Not sure if da Vinci is good or bad here, kind of towing that line. The writing needs a lot of work, it’s a bit all over the place. Won’t be continuing after the first couple of pre-ordered issues.

Barberella #1: Didn’t know what to expect. If you saw the movie, you’d know going in to expect something a bit odd. I thought this title would be a little more akin to that.

Barberella’s ship is intercepted by a fanatical religious government & is imprisoned due to her lady parts (they’re outlawed). A bit of craziness ensues (mass prison sex—naturally!), then a breakout. Odd? Yes. I’ll give it a few issues to see where things go.

Red Sonja #11: This title started off well, but went off the rails. The writing & overall story is floundering, and because of that I’m dropping. This probably should’ve been a miniseries.

Post subject: Re: Other Comics News & Views
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:07 am 
Damage Control

Sheena #4: Sheena & Chano escape the temple & what they found within, to deal with even more problems in her village. The story is decent, but I wish there was only one penciler for this title, as the artwork is inconsistent.

The Shadow #5: The Shadow is in a hospital bed while the government comes to get him. This has been a lackluster miniseries, with one issue left.

G.I. Joe: Real American Hero #246: First issue I’ve bought for the title, as the cover grabbed me. It seems Snake-Eyes is dead & his memories were imprinted into a young girl’s brain. A lot of carnage in this particular issue. Probably will hunt down the hardcover collections & start from the very beginning.

Transformers – Optimus Prime #4: Another first time for me, saw Trypticon on the cover & figured why not. I could follow things easily enough. The art was fine, but I’d want better if I was a regular reader.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:28 am 
Damage Control

Sheena #5: Sheena & Chano push back the zombies, with some unexpected help. Good end to the storyline with good art. This title is showing promise.

Barbarella #2: Barbarella is on the run with her cellmate. I can’t really tell what the storyline is about, so for that—and the general oddness—I’m dropping.

Dejah Thoris #0: Thankfully this was only a quarter, as this wasn’t interesting at all. Another title to be dropped.

The Shadow #6: A bit of a twist in this final issue, doesn’t make things any better. I was expecting a whole lot more out of this. A major disappointment.

Ice Cream Man #1: From Image…what is this even about??? Dropping.

A very bad month here.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:58 pm 
Damage Control

Been a while. March Madness, and just not having time to get thru the stack of comics. Here goes.

Sheena #6: Sheena is searching for the person who is causing the rot in the jungle. The writing is good, although there are a few errors, & the art is fantastic. I'm enjoying this title quite a bit.

Athena Voltaire #1: Although they were on the cover, the Nazi's cam out of the blue, no real buildup for them. I really couldn't get into this. I'd like to see this character set in the present day.

The Musketeers #1: I haven't read much from Zenescope, so I'm trying a couple of things. Not exactly new-reader friendly, but really, it just wasn't all that good. The story is a bit out there and I expected better art.

Black Betty #1: A plus-sized female bounty hunter--who has a unique absorption power--that deals with mythological creatures. Didn't do a lot for me.

Xena #1: Xena helps a woman (an unnamed Gabrielle) while heading to Athens. Good start with great interior art.

Skybourne #5: Wow, this issue finally came out. The Skybournes take on Merlin. Good final issue.

G.I. Joe: Real American Hero #248: No words, just action--with Dawn (the female Snake-Eyes) going thru red ninjas to get to Firefly (my second favorite G.I. Joe character, right after Zartan). Quick read to say the least.

G.I. Joe: Real American Hero #249: Wow, Larry Hama gave us words here! Splendid! Good issue showing Dawn against Firefly, with the Joes en route.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:49 am 
Damage Control

Sheena – Queen of the Jungle #7: Sheena comes upon the person she thought was causing the rot in the jungle, but the person turns out to be someone else entirely. The outsiders, who are trying to access the temple, try one final gambit.

I like this title a lot. Marguerite Bennett’s writing is solid & Christina Trujillo’s art is stand-out.

Athena Voltaire & The Sorcerer Pope #2: Athena & company hunt down a tablet, but meet some opposition while doing so. Desmond & his fellow agent (who’s not in this issue) have plans of their own. This issue was a decent read.

Xena – Warrior Princess #2: Xena & Gabrielle are still on their way to Athens, while an enemy of Xena’s awaits for her arrival. This issue was a bit too talky, with not much going on.

Green Hornet #1: This first issue is a good jumping on point, as first issues should be. This gives us backstory to the Hornet’s past—both Reid Sr. & Reid Jr. It’s informative, just not the best written issue in the world. I’ll give this a few more issues to really grab me.

Black Betty #2: Betty saves the missing girl from the trolls. My last issue on this, as this isn’t a good comic.

Tarot – Witch of the Black Rose #109: I’ve been a Jim Balent fan from his work on Catwoman, but never tried this. So I gave it a try. It was easy enough to follow. I’m guessing nudity is a hallmark for this title, which I was expecting. But the second time the issue had it caused me to laugh as it just got so absurd. I guess there’s a market for this kind of stuff, but I’m just not it.

Shadow Man #1: I’ve tried an issue of this character here & there over the years, so I wanted to try this out. Not a good jumping point for this title, as you needed to know more than what was presented. I’m not interested enough to continue.

Breathless #1: Cryptozoology meets Big Pharma. Some good things to this, some over-the-top things. This issue felt like three issues were crammed into it. Ironically, this needs some room to breathe, as the exposition definitely suffered. I might try out the first trade of this when it comes out, as I think it’ll read better that way.

Ice Cream Man #3: An ice cream man starring in a Twilight Zone type of comic is the gist of this title. This might work better as a TV series than a comic.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:31 am 
Damage Control

Sheena #8: Cadwell Industries has Sheena & her friends, so that Cadwell can access the temple. Some lettering errors, some facial expressions not matching the script but still a satisfying story.

Xena #3: Xena & Gabrielle are in Athens, and trouble finds the pair. Good story, just an okay issue story-wise. Kind of felt like filler, which isn't good for a third issue to a miniseries.

Tap Dance Killer #1: Good cover and that's it. Horrible writing. A theatre troupe gets drugged & gets turned into killers, and the insanity starts from there. Dropping.

Athena Voltaire & the Sorceror Pope #3: Pretty bad story in which Athena & company have to get the third tablet before the Nazis do. I've tried giving this some rope, but I have to cut it now.

The Musketeers #3: I don't even know what's going on here. Another drop.

A Fractured Mind#1: A miniseries where a girl escapes a serial killer. Another story with poor story development & facial expressions betraying what emotions are actually being felt. Not worth continuing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:23 pm 
Damage Control

Xena - Warrior Princess #4: Gabrielle has been captured, along with her sister, as Xena tries to rescue her. This storyline is okay, but the standout here is the art.

Jasmine Crown of Kings #1: I wasn't interested in the story, but Igor Vitorino's & Adriano Augusto's cover is amazing. This particular cover art team is one to watch.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:52 pm 
Damage Control

Charlie's Angels #1: The interior art was good, but was a hard act to follow with an amazing cover by David Finch. The story? I came away disappointed. I was thinking it would be set in the modern day, but it was stuck in the 70's. The story was lame-o. As I already ordered the 1st three issues, I hope writer John Layman brings something better to the table.

Sheena #9: Sheena & her friends are trying to escape their captors and the monsters. This storyline is getting a bit long in the tooth. And what happened to her mother?

GI Joe #252: Loved the cover by John Royle & Jagdish Kumar. Good issue here, as we see parts of The Baroness' past.

Xena #5: Callisto tries to exact her revenge on Xena in this overdrawn story arc. Probably just one more issue for me.

Fathom - Primer & #1: Never read this title before. I found these issues interesting enough. I'm going to go back to the beginning I think and work my way forward.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:19 am 
Damage Control

Sheena - Queen of the Jungle #10: The story was a bit over the top, with overly dramatic writing, so you really need to suspend your disbelief in this issue, as Sheena drives out the rot with her magical blade. Her long lost grandmother (for a few issues anyway) returns to help & to close out this chapter.

There's a bit of a cliffhanger ending here. Don't know if this title is continuing or just going on a planned hiatus, as it's not solicited for September.

Overall, there's enough for me to want to continue with the title, so we'll have to see if Dynamite plans to give us more.

Xena - Warrior Princess #6: This issue is mainly about a newly emerging oracle, while Xena & Gabrielle arrive into the city. This title is a mess, and I won't be continuing. The art is wasted with this rather poor writing. Honestly, the best thing in this issue was the advertisement for The Art of Troma book.

Elvira - Mistress of the Dark #1: This is a fun read. Elvira meets Mary Shelley via a time machine coffin. Good writing and art. Looking forward to the next issue.

Charlie's Angels #2: The mystery pair in white capture Charlie & they send the Angels on a false mission. The story here was okay, but I doubt I'll finish this miniseries.

The Thrilling Adventure Hour #1: Didn't like the hokey opening prologue or the parts with the reporter, but once we get to the main characters (the Doyle's), this became a much better read.

Athena Voltaire #5: Part 1 of a new storyline, which I won't be continuing after this. These stories--this chapter, the one prior & the compendium--just seem to be out of order, and just not worth following any longer.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:10 pm 
Damage Control

The Thrilling Adventure Hour #2: The beginning of this issue was odd, but then we got where things left off in the initial issue. This was pretty good, although I didn't feel the dialogue was as snappy as before. Still don't know if the reporter really needs to be here.

Charlie's Angels #3: Really bad cover by Vicente Cifuentes. Probably the worst artwork I've seen from him.

In this yawner, the Angels are suspecting something's up with Charlie.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:00 pm 
Damage Control

Elvira-Mistress of the Dark #2: Elvira is with Edgar Allen Poe as Vlad is on her tail. Another good issue. This has become a fave in a short time.

Dick Tracy-Dead or Alive #1: More violent than I was expecting. I probably won't finish this miniseries because of it. This really threw me off.

GI Joe-Real American Hero #255: We see a backstory of Scarlet's & Snake Eye's relationship & how Snake Eyes came to be.

My online retailer really screwed this order up, as they had the incorrect cover listed on their web site. I wanted a tri-fold cover that had some outstanding art, but what I received was completely wrong because of the web site.

GI Joe-Real American Hero #256: Good variant cover that had nothing to do with the story, so that's always a bit weird. As for the issue itself, a small contingent of Joes are infiltrating a Cobra lab, and find Dr. Venom in residence. This issue actually followed what happened about five issues prior, so I don't know what kind of planning is going on here.

I don't know how many issues I'll be getting in the future, as I'm realizing this isn't my GI Joe.

Thrilling Adventure Hour #3: This would probably be a better read for me via trade than single issues, as I didn't recall a certain plot point from prior issues. I still don't get the need for how this title opens every issue or the reporter, seem like extraneous parts that are unneeded.

Fantasmagoria #1: At $1.99 (cheaper for me), I figured i'd give this a shot. Three short stories, which were decent enough.

Jinxworld Sampler: Featuring Powers, Scarlet & The United States of Murder Inc.--couldn't get into any of them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:19 pm 
Damage Control

Zorro - Swords of Hell #1 (of 4): Zorro meets zombie Conquistadors. Really?

There haven't been many things I've liked from American Mythology, so I'll have to keep that in mind for any future purchases.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:15 am 
Damage Control

Elvira-Mistress of the Dark #3: Elvira is still running from Vlad the Impaler & she meets the person who's been responsible for transporting them thru this horror history. LOVE this title.

Bettie Page #1: Okay, first thing first. The cover by John Royle & Mohan is so utterly beautiful, just fantastic. Wow.

I didn't last long with the previous miniseries, but wanted to try this out nonetheless. Glad I did. The story has Bettie going to England, as Queen Elizabeth is kidnapped by aliens. Strange, right? But a lot of fun too.

Dick Tracy-Dead or Alive #2: Much better than the first issue, writing-wise. I liked the info given in the back of the issue as well. Had a nice timeline of the Dick Tracy strip and took a deeper look at a few panels from the issue.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:17 pm 
Damage Control

Elvira - Mistress of the Dark #4: Trying to escape Vlad on a 1935 Hollywood movie studio lot, Elvira goes from the Impaler to the Devil himself. Decent issue.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:56 am 
Damage Control

Bettie Page #2: Gorgeous cover by John Royle (who's become a fave). The story has Bettie trying to track down the queen, while figuring out the alien mystery. Good issue.

The Shape of Elvira #1: Elvira gets cast in a role for a "Shape of Water" type of a movie. Some good humor here, but this wasn't as good as the Elvira - Mistress of the Dark title.

Stronghold #1: Insurance agent who's an all-powerful cosmic entity, but he doesn't know it. The organization that has been keeping him in the dark about it is called The Stronghold. Another group, called The Adversary, is trying to push him into discovering what he is.

The Stronghold didn't think they'd have to protect him from one of their own, however.

Not a bad first issue. I'll probably go the trade route with this.