Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The Aquaman Thread
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:35 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

'Cause I loves me some Aquaman. :mrgreen:

The first issue was quite good, although you could honestly say not a lot happened. Johns' characterization of Arthur is a bit more introspective than we've seen in the past, but it meshes perfectly with what he began back in Brightest Day. Whether BD is an actual prequel remains to be seen.

And the art . . . well, Aquaman hasn't looked this good in his own title for quite some time. Every part of the process (pencilling, inking, and color) seems to mesh perfectly. I can't wait to see what a coral reef's gonna look like in this book. :mrgreen:

On to spoiler territory:
Spoiler: show
Johns is very "in your face" about Aquaman's reputation of being "lame," almost to a fault, but his approach probably beats simply ignoring the problem entirely. The Trench are almost Lovecraftian is their appearance and motivation. I have a feeling this is going to get quite gory, and soon. It should be cool to see Aquaman really let loose against a vicious foe. This ain't gonna be the Superfriends Aquaman, that's for sure.
And I'm not too sure about the new power Johns has given our hero. Super-leaping is a bit of a stretch. When I saw that panel of Arthur bouncing away, I could only think of the Hulk. Should Aquaman be able to leap a good distance? Certainly. Maybe to the top of a one story building or across a 20 foot gap, But he's not a friggin' superball, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.
Unless he's gotten a MASSIVE upgrade in strength (which is possible, this is the NEW 52), it seemed a bit excessive.

Still, I was very pleased with this issue. I haven't felt this good about an Aquaman comic since PAD's run in the early 90's.

I give Issue #1 a solid A.

Who else got it and what did you think?

Trade Rating +55 and counting

Post subject: Re: The Aquaman Thread
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:45 am 
Aspires to be #1

Well I got it too and I really enjoyed it and thought it looked great. In fact, I've read it twice already. Once on the computer and again on the iPad.

I really enjoyed watching Aquaman get pissed off when people were doubting him and calling out his "lameness". I feel like Aquaman is tired of holding back and is letting loose with his powers. The jumping did look a little weird but I don't think it's too much of a stretch to make him stronger. Something between his old self and Superman seems like a decent balance to me. I also liked that he took all the bullets from those thugs but was also bleeding from the ricochet. His skin should be tougher to survive the ocean but not unbreakable.

It certainly has me excited not only for his title but also for the Justice League book.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:08 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

SInce you started this in SPOILER territory, I'll respond that wy

If I remember correctly, PAD had kind of heightened his powers a bit by simply taking into account the immense pressure he would be battling on a daily basis just floating around Atlantis and the ocean floor.

He defined his toughness, relative strength, speed, etc. in relation to the depths at which he "lived".

Glad to see that they are carrying that forward. I don't mind the leaping and/or an increase in speed on land so long as it remains "plausible"

All this talk has me really chomping at the bit for the trade (which will be sometime in March or so ... :? )

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:27 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
SInce you started this in SPOILER territory, I'll respond that wy

If I remember correctly, PAD had kind of heightened his powers a bit by simply taking into account the immense pressure he would be battling on a daily basis just floating around Atlantis and the ocean floor.

He defined his toughness, relative strength, speed, etc. in relation to the depths at which he "lived".

Glad to see that they are carrying that forward. I don't mind the leaping and/or an increase in speed on land so long as it remains "plausible"

All this talk has me really chomping at the bit for the trade (which will be sometime in March or so ... :? )

Well I was gonna say that seemed like a plausible excuse - without even reading anything before...

March is no problem-- I only read Star Wars Hardbacks in Paperback form-- sometimes those take over a year- :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:54 am 
Aspires to be #1

I don't know if this matters, but Aquaman is actually getting the top billing this week in the digital comics world. Both on the digital site and on the iPad app, he's getting the main box at the top. Pretty impressive considering Batman, Superman and Flash also had their solo titles out this week.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:21 am 
Unbreakable

The cashier at the store I bought mine at said he must have sold "hundreds" of comics that day and most of them were Aquaman. Then the girl at the other register made a snide remark about how lame Aquaman was expecting us to join in. The kid checking me out and I shot her dirty looks and I said "he's my favorite DC Superhero".

Then she back peddled in to "He's the most underrated DC Superhero" and the guy behind me ran back to pick up a copy as he didn't notice it on the shelves.

What can I say smart people love Aquaman.

Btw... LOVE these new villains. Quite scary!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:27 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with him having super strength. Classic Arthur has hefted buses as recently as the early 2000's. And PAD had him leap into a helicopter from the ocean 30 feet below in his first issue back in the 1990's.

However, Spider-man leaps. Hulk leaps.

Aquaman hasn't really been a leaper in the past and I found it a little jarring. That's all. :)

And I figure we should keep the issue in spoiler territory for at least a few days. :wink:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:11 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I enjoyed Aquaman #1, the art and story were excellent. The leaping ability did remind me of the Hulk but I didn't mind. A good start to the series overall.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:19 pm 
active in the community

i was also suprised by the leaping.
really enjoyed the chatter about his "standing in the superhero ranks" and some of the humor around it...and him ordering seafood...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:53 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

Even though I really like Aquaman, I really DONT like Geoff Johns, so I wasn't planning on even picking up a copy of this to thumb through. Today I was at my local shop and after reading this thread I thought I'd check it out. I've read it all the way through twice already. It's awesome. It's rare to see Aquaman being a "SUPERHERO". He's always a king commanding his subjects or a helpful friend making octopi catch criminals that somehow eluded the batboat and superman's breath-holding ability. I was just as surprised as the cops in the beginning, and it really was a pleasure to read. Not a chore at all (btw, I wanted to give the new Ghostbusters a chance against my better judgement, and I am happy to say I'm really glad I did, as it was also an ENJOYABLE read.) I just added it to my regular pull list. This and Swamp Thing are the only 2 DC titles I'm buying now (well, maybe Batman, but I will definitely be reading Batman, Batman & Robin and Animal Man every month). Yay for Aquaman.

Now, let's just hope by issue 5 Johns hasnt made the Black Manta Corps, along with the Green Manta Corps, the Yellow Manta Corps, The Orange Manta, the Muave Mantas, The Puce Mantas, and the Aquamarine Tribe. Like, let's keep it on one or two characters and see if he can actually write that way without having to George Lucas us up a 3000-new-character universe built around one goddam superhero.

Oh, and for the record, Aquaman SHOULD be able to leap that far, and punch harder than 10,000 Rocky's and kick faster than 10,000 Bruce Lee's and he should be impossible to bear hug and should LOVE to eat seafood. That's all he has around him all day. He should also have jillions of dollars in lost sunken treasure. He should also smell terrible, though. Kinda surprised that didn't come up.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:03 am 
MINT!

My wife hates Aquaman. :D She, like many people, just think he's lame.

I picked Aquaman #1 up and wasnt expecting much. Boy, was I wrong! That issue is easily one of my favorite from the new 52.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:07 am 
5th Horseman

Now I am firmly in the camp that thinks Aquaman is Lame (Talk to the Fish and Command Sea Creatures, ok great if you are in the sea all the time, however put him on land and he's screwed), now I know his powers were made different with his Water Hand but he still sucked - However I have always loved the looks of Aquaman just wished he was more like Namor, my wife loves Aquaman and thinks he is one Great Superhero, so I will most probably grab the GN for her. And who knows I might become a convert as well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:10 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

GreenArrow wrote:
Now I am firmly in the camp that thinks Aquaman is Lame (Talk to the Fish and Command Sea Creatures, ok great if you are in the sea all the time, however put him on land and he's screwed), ...

Wait a minute.

Clearly you haven't watched Brave & Bold recently or you would know that he can command Silverfish (yup, that's right, the insect) because, and I'll quote our "OUTRAGEOUS!" friend here, "a fish is fish, even if its a bug".

Go Arthur! Can't be that logic.

:P

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:55 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Now the question is how much does the "sea Creature" thing work-- does that mean he gets Seals, Sea Lions, Walruses.. How about Sea Otters, Penguins, Pelicans or other Diving Aquatic Birds.. I mean he gets crabs and such and some of those do stay on land, How about Saltwater Crocodiles, Water Moccassins, -- does it even go up the list to Polar Bears..

And does his powers only apply to Underwater Animals, or is Saltwater a Requirement-- Can he talk to fresh Water Fish and animals as well.. Does the animal have to stay under water all the time-- because since he uses whales all the time-- clearly he can control Mammals as well..

And does he actually control them-- or is he like Dr. Doolittle and the animals respond to him because he can speak to them.. Are they willing to sacrifice their life for him just because he talks to them-- or because they cant control themselves..

And to me- these are some important Aquaman questions to be answered..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:40 pm 
Unbreakable

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
GreenArrow wrote:
Now I am firmly in the camp that thinks Aquaman is Lame (Talk to the Fish and Command Sea Creatures, ok great if you are in the sea all the time, however put him on land and he's screwed), ...

Wait a minute.

Clearly you haven't watched Brave & Bold recently or you would know that he can command Silverfish (yup, that's right, the insect) because, and I'll quote our "OUTRAGEOUS!" friend here, "a fish is fish, even if its a bug".

Go Arthur! Can't be that logic.

:P

Well then I wish Aquaman would come over and command all of the silverfish to leave my apartment. I hate those things.