Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What was your first comic book?...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:06 am 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
Like the subject name says... What was your first comic book that got you into DC or Marvel, or comics in general?
I myself can't be 100% positive which comic I got first but I will go with the one that I remember, and most likely got me into comics more than just watching BTAS, Spider-man The Animated Series, or X-men.
It was issue #2 of DC's 6 part mini series called "Legends" it says it was published in Dec. 1986. Anyways, I thought it was cool, even though I have no Idea where I got it from or who gave it to me, or what was even going on in the comic (I still don't know, lol.) All I do know is that it helped spark my imagination even further and got me into liking Superheroes even more than just what was on TV. The other comic I remember getting but am not sure when, was Spider-man 2099 (I have no idea where that comic is now,) all I know is that I didn't really like it all that much, lol. 

So yeah... what was your first comic, or earliest memory of a comic, (like having a parent or family member who did have one, and shared it or read it to you?)

D.

Post subject: Re: What was your first comic book?...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:34 am 
3 3/4"

My mom told me once I got an issue of avengers when I was two cause I liked the look of the comic, but I have no idea what happened to that.

My first comic is hard to say, I vividly Remember Marvel two-in-one with thing and deathlock, as well as some Cap adventures, Iron Man before Rhodey wore the suit. Superman, Bats, ect. Honeslty not sure at all.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:35 am 
Hat Pooper

Mine was either a Whitman or Gold Key comic, not sure which title since it was almost 40 years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:19 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

This story is sort of a triple comic threat!

My parents were antique dealers, so one day my father brings a bureau home when I was 4 and in the back was this.
To me it was Batman vs. Dracula!
Then I saw Swamp Thing for the first time and loved it! Went to a 7-11 convenience store with my father and found this on a comic rack!
My mother would read me every issue of Swamp Thing from that moment on all every month till I could read on my own.
Then I was also into the Incredible Hulk live action series and the Saturday morning cartoon on NBC! My first Hulk comic was this!

Now I didn't start collecting till we moved to a new house and I found an antique store which sold old comics cheap. I would spend my whole allowance on them and it sort of snowballed. My father would buy huge lots of books from local auctions back when no one cared about comic books and my silver age collection grew. Now I do it for a living and it's great!

I am however very much a DC fanboy today than a Marvel fan!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:23 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

While there were other, earlier books, this one began the whole "hey, let's collect each issue" mentality.

Within a few years, I had over 100 issues of Iron Man!

And the rest, as they say, is history!

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:39 am 

That's an awesome era! The alcoholism, the coming of Obadiah Stane, the take over of Stark International, Rodey becoming Iron Man! And the all leading up to the awesome Iron Man 200, my favorite issue of Iron Man ever!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:28 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
Van Statten wrote:
This story is sort of a triple comic threat!

My parents were antique dealers, so one day my father brings a bureau home when I was 4 and in the back was this.
To me it was Batman vs. Dracula!
Then I saw Swamp Thing for the first time and loved it! Went to a 7-11 convenience store with my father and found this on a comic rack!
My mother would read me every issue of Swamp Thing from that moment on all every month till I could read on my own.
Then I was also into the Incredible Hulk live action series and the Saturday morning cartoon on NBC! My first Hulk comic was this!

Now I didn't start collecting till we moved to a new house and I found an antique store which sold old comics cheap. I would spend my whole allowance on them and it sort of snowballed. My father would buy huge lots of books from local auctions back when no one cared about comic books and my silver age collection grew. Now I do it for a living and it's great!

I am however very much a DC fanboy today than a Marvel fan!

That sounds so cool! I loved Swamp Thing as a kid but I never saw a comic (I never knew he had one back then either.) I just liked the small 5-6 episode series that was on VHS, and the toys. Anyways that is so awesome that you got/get to collect all those cool silver age comics and such. I have one place where I live, where an older gentlemen has a few vintage comics, but they aren't cheap and he likes to raise the price of them, even when they have a price tag, (come to think of it he is actually very grumpy too, and not once was I rude to him. tisk, tisk, tisk. ;) ) Anyhoo, awesome stories everyone, :)

D.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:57 am 
Former King of Posts

I think I read a Captain America book at camp, but the first one I bought was a Wonder Woman issue with Red Tornado narrating.

What really got me into comics was JLA #148, featuring a team up of the JLA, JSA, and LSH.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:27 am 
Factory Worker

Silver Surfer Vol 3 issue 17.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:31 am 

Bloody Thumb wrote:
Silver Surfer Vol 3 issue 17.

Oh man I remember when that book started! I thought it was one of Marvel's better books at the time!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:09 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Captain Carrot and his Amazing Zoo Crew #7- Featuring Bow-Zar the Barbarian (Upgraded my well worn copy around 15 years ago)

Second was

HBs Laff a Lympics #8 (just recently picked up another copy of this issue last month.)- the first was cut up when I was making collages of my favorite characters when I was a kid..

First Superhero Comic (Batman of course)

Brave and the Bold Vol 1 #116 (got cut up as well)--

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:58 am 
MINT!

My first comic was Sonic the Hedgehog #56.

My mom would never buy me comics because she was afraid of me being a geek or a outcast (eventually she was used to "how I am" and would order me comics saying "I'm just glad you read something"). But one day I walked to the corner store with my Dad and this was on the rack. He never believed in not letting me do what I want because it's "geeky" and he bought it for me. Little did he know, he essentially started a lifelong addiction, haha!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:38 pm 
Damage Control

X-Men vol. 2 # 40 FN (Legion Quest 2)

L.O.D.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:03 pm 
Santos L. Halper

This is the one that started it all for me. Before this, comics to me were meant to be read and discarded. Then my father gave this one to me and suddenly, comics were meant to be cherished and cared for. I've still got it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:10 pm 
buzz word garbage hater