Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: UK comics, are they worth less? Why?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:00 pm 
Santos L. Halper

I've been concentrating on collecting some key silverage comics lately. Noticed that the European, namely the UK stuff, tend to go for less that the same key issue's American counterpart. Have you guys noticed this and if so, why do you think this is? There are relatively no differences except one was shipped to Europe and the other to the U.S. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Post subject: Re: UK comics, are they worth less? Why?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:36 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

I have found the UK or foreign versions of key Marvel Silver and DC always bring less. I remember there was a small acrticle in an Overstreet which explained sometimes the older silver books were published at a later date over seas so they weren't as old as their original American counter parts.

Also, books which have the Foreign price on them tend to bring less because it's just mentality. As when you buy an American movie, you want an American movie poster release and not say... an Australian or a UK release where they change the name.

A UK copy or Mexican copy of Fantastic Four #1 you can get for well under a fraction of the price it would bring in any condition.

This is the science I use when I flip foreign copies at conventions.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:09 pm 
Santos L. Halper

Well, the reason I ask is 'cause I just bought Wolverine #1 (the original limited series) off of Ebay. The auction did not say it was a UK verison. I just got it today and I'm disappointed 'cause I thought I was getting an American release. Unsure now if I should keep it or try to return it.....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:17 pm 

Oh wow! Yeah I would re-read that auction and look at the picture. They can't be edited once a bid is placed. If you can't tell which is which then I would return it. Things like this need and should be advertised if they aren't from the natural country of origin.

It's one thing to buy a silver age book which is a foreign copy because they are rare to begin with and rarely turn up, so collectors will fill holes and gaps with them. BUT a book like that... no reason you can't find an American copy with a half decent price.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:47 pm 
Santos L. Halper

The description has no mention of this being a UK release. The pic, however, is the actual UK edition I got. It didn't really look that close to the pic to be honest, I based my decision on the ad. On the flip side, I didn't pay that much for it and it was advertised as NM/mint. The book is immaculate as advertised. I'm thinking I should just keep it and get an american verison as well.

Next time, I guess I got to look closely at the comic embelem, make sure its an American release. Lesson learned.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:52 pm 

It still wouldn't hurt to contact him and explain your plight. Some people are understanding. But if there's not that much wrapped up in it you found yourself a nice reading copy of a great book!