Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Earth 2
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:57 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

... and to further fan the flames...

James Robinson has been quoted as saying (via his Twitter) that there will be the introduction of a 2nd gay character soon.

No mention if it is another "returning" character or if this will be a new creation.

This also follows on the heels of DC management stating that many characters in the DCnU will undergo race changes [sic] as they continue to be reintroduced.

I'm so glad to see DC make an effort towards diversification but, man, they have no sensitivity towards how to do it right, do they?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:26 am 
Aspires to be #1

I'm just about ready to give up on DC. One of the things I hate most is all the pc crap in the world today and now they're just randomly making people gay or changing their race for no reason other than to appease the minority. I was very willing to give the New 52 a try but I'm starting to think my connections to the dc universe died last year.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:29 am 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

My issue - why promote it so blatantly? Just make the character appealing and they won't need to use the obvious PC garbage that rightfully draws criticism... :?

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:52 am 

Right.

I don't care that they are doing it. If it makes sense for the character in the way that they are going to write him/her going forward, then go for it.

But to do it so blatantly as a PR stunt/gimmick/"lookee what we did" is what makes all this shameful.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:18 am 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

Devil's advocate: if it really was an idea from the bottom up (the writer's idea, not editorial's), then I don't see why it's worth getting annoyed with. It should seem pretty inevitable that the PR department would want to spin the idea up and try to get it in the news and create interest/hype. They're just trying to sell a few more, and obviously they think that the PR will be a net gain even if you factor in the people that get pissed with DC for it. If the idea comes from the top down as an editorial mandate, then it makes more sense to me when people get annoyed with how they execute the changes (even then though, I don't think changes like this matter much if the story is good).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:23 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Well DC wasted no time today!

Spoiler: show
We get Alan's boyfriend, Sam... we get Alan's marriage proposal to Sam...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:08 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I made it through issue 2. Don't care for the Alan Scott PR stunt, but the Flash got a cool debut. The cameos by Mr. Terrific and Hawkgirl were good.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:21 pm 
Fugitive Dust

Man this is so wrong! Why take a very well known classic Hero like Alan Scott and turn him gay. I mean thats gotta be low! Is that all these new writers think about is that we got to stay on top and be fair to the race and sex of characters that we need to think about getting some gay characters out there for the gay population. Well I say forget you!!! I wouldnt care if they made a new gay character but dont ruin the old classic ones. I think DC better rethink this new 52 universe thing because its not working for me. Im about to drop all my DC books and pick up some more Marvel. Im so apalled to the disrespect that DC has given to Alan Scott it makes me sick. I also think its time for the Monitors to come and wipe it all out again and start back just before the 1st Crisis ever began and try to clear up some matters that way and give our characters back their original costumes and original universes and just plain put it back like it was. This New 52 Stinks!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:40 pm 
Collector Inspector

Followup question for anyone that is still reading this series...

Did making Alan Scott gay go anywhere?
Did it influence the story?
Change the character in any other major way?
Is it even still referenced in a meaningful way?

Just curious.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:59 am 

As of the initial 6 issues (that make up the first collection) .... No, not really.

His lover was killed about as quickly as he was introduced and used as "bait" to try and lure him away from the Green and into the Grey. Otherwise, it was very much a non-issue by the end of the first collection.