Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: So I did something I haven't done in quite awhile . . .
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:44 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

. . . I sold off some of my collection for a pretty decent profit.

I knew Walking Dead was becoming quite popular, and that the comics would probably get a decent bump, but I had no idea just how crazy the prices were getting on such relatively recent books.

Almost $200 for WD#19 and $100 for #27? For books less than 8 years old? :shock:

Sadly, I didn't start WD until #13, so no number one for me. Since I don't have the whole set, I'm not locked into the complete run collector mindset. Plus, the book has become a little mediocre lately (I think it's taken a backburner to the TV series for Kirkman). Plus there's that nice Compendium out there, with another on the way in October.

So I got rid of #13-#48 at my LCS for $250 cash and another $250 store credit. I'm sure I could have gotten more, but my guy has been very fair to me over the years and I'd rather have a guy I know well make a decent profit off of them.

When the second compendium comes out, I'll sell off #48-#96.

I figure the WD mania only has a couple years left, plus I've always been more about the story than the potential financial gain.

How about you guys? Sell any comics lately for decent money? How'd you feel about it? Did you have any regrets afterwards?

Trade Rating +55 and counting

Post subject: Re: So I did something I haven't done in quite awhile . . .
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:15 pm 
Former King of Posts

Sold off the beginning of the prior runs of Batgirl, Nightwing, and Teen Titans because I did not like the direction and was dropping the books. About the first 15 issues of each. I felt I got a fair amount for each set 3.

Post subject: Re: So I did something I haven't done in quite awhile . . .
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:01 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Shellhead wrote:
Almost $200 for WD#19 and $100 for #27? For books less than 8 years old? :shock:

Sure for a series with a non-existent print run in the beginning. That's why Walking Dead #1 and #2 was fetching insane prices five months after the fact. To top off that Kirkman couldn't get the book published on time during the span of those issues you sold. So when resolicts for those issues came around from Diamond they were ordered less than their initial orders.

This is the case with independent books and a friggin gold mine if you were buying them before they get uber popular.