Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Rob Liefeld Calls at Least 25 Marvel Creators "D-List"
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:23 am 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

So it started with this tweet from Rob yesterday...

Rob Liefeld wrote:
Testament to Deadpool’s appeal and durability is that he thrives regardless of being regulated to D-list talent. Marvel A-list never touches.

For those of you keeping track, that "D-list" includes: Joe Kelly, Ed McGuinness, Fabian Nicieza, Gail Simone, Mark Waid, Jimmy Palmiotti, Joe Madureira, Jason Pearson, Ian Churchill, Christopher Priest, Cullen Bunn, Daniel Way, Duane Swierczynski, Victor Gischler, Fred Van Lente, Dalibor Tajalic, Jason Aaron, David Lapham, Kyle Baker, Bong Dazo, Paco Medina, Reilly Brown, Patrick Zircher, Mark Brooks, and, of course, Rob Liefeld himself.

And of course, the responses came rolling in...

Brian Michael Bendis:
Quote:
wow. shame on you.

Dave Johnson:
Quote:
@robertliefeld Yes!!! I've been elevated to the "D list" of talent. Thanks Rob. Now if I can only learn how to ink while driving a car.

Axel Alonso, Marvel Editor-In-Chief:
Quote:
Welcome to the D-list, @GerryDuggan @thebrianposehn @tonymoore! Howdy Doody just put your name on the list.

Rick Remender, Uncanny X-Force writer:
Quote:
@robertliefeld Lot of talented people you just called out as D-list. Might be a better way to congratulate yourself?

Liefeld's classy response:
Quote:
@Remender Truth hurts. Did I miss the Brubaker Deadpool arc? The Millar Deadpool arc? The Loeb Deadpool arc. Get over yourself.

:roll:

And of course, the expected sort-of apology came next: http://comicbook.com/blog/2012/08/02/li ... pologizes/
Quote:
As a parent I tell my kids it costs nothing to apologize, so here goes: I apologize and am truly sorry to everyone I insulted with my D-list comments. I said it and can't take it back.

:roll: :roll: :roll: What an utter douchebag. More proof that he just doesn't get it. How is this guy still working in the industry?

More here:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/08/02/ ... ol-d-list/

http://mail.theouthousers.com/index.php ... -list.html

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

Post subject: Re: Rob Liefeld Calls at Least 25 Marvel Creators "D-List"
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:41 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Ya know, I kinda blame Spike Lee and 501 jeans.

If he had never been spotlighted on one of those commercials, he most likely would've been dust on the collective consciousness by now.

There was a time when I thought Todd was the douchiest of the Image founders, whereas Liefeld was just the most immature. Todd's matured a lot since then, Liefeld is apparently still the same or possibly even regressing.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:37 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Deadpool does have a lot of crap books. Especially in the past five years. He's WAY too overexposed.

That being said, Rob is a douche bag of extreme proportions.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:14 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Is anybody really surprised by this though? Liefeld has proved repeatedly that he has zero class whatsoever. I don't care if you may think that way, whether correctly or incorrectly. You may need a job with or from some of those guys later. People can get over a lot, but not stuff like that. Good job Rob.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:33 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

He's a talentless hack. His art looks awful, he played hookey on the day they studied anatomy apparently and his writing is atrocious! I've been trying for years and years to break into this industry as a writer. I know it's hard even more so today but when I see HIM working for DC it pisses me off and makes me sad all at the same time.

I may not like Todd McFarlane but I can at least respect he has some semblance of artistic ability. His writing is always going to be God Awful :lol: but his pencils and inks are amazing, his business sense also has to be formidable because his toy company is still kicking in some degree. But Rob has NONE of this...

When Jim Lee and Rob Liefeld left Marvel and their respective books they proved one thing... they weren't ready too. WILD Cats was just Jim Lee's X-Men redux and Youngblood was just the members of X-Force. Where Jim had grown over time... Rob has remained the same.

Anyone meet him in person? He sniffs his nose a lot... there use to be a rumor about him being a coke head... I wonder how that started? :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:04 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Shellhead wrote:
Deadpool does have a lot of crap books. Especially in the past five years. He's WAY too overexposed.

Or that atrocious art in Deadpool max- that I couldnt even look at...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:17 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

stewbacca wrote:
Or that atrocious art in Deadpool max- that I couldnt even look at...

Bite. Your. Tongue.

Baker's run on Deadpool Max was awesome. When did Gail Simone write Deadpool, though? I missed that. Also, yeah, the Posehn Deadpool has been awful. Anybody read any of the Killustrated issues?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:21 am 
ABS

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the Posehn Deadpool has been awful (I dropped it after two issues). But it seems to be selling very well last time I checked.

Simone wrote it towards the end of the previous incarnation & had Agent X as Deadpool (IIRC). I dropped it back then too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:38 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Yeah, I kinda cringed after issue 1, but I figured I'd stick with it because, while I don't always love everything Deadpool or Brian Posehn, I do love DeadpoolMax and Merc w a Mouth and Mr Show, and those count for something. But the beginning of issue 2, Deadpool makes out w She Hulk on the beach, awesome, then it turns out to be zombie ben franklin, to which Deadpool responds in true "predicitable stand-up comedian is writing me now" style, "you're the guy on those bills i can't afford". what? Deadpool's a millionaire, isn't he? Like, doesnt he gain and lose money all the time as an international mercenary? Do some research, Posehn, and stop trying to illustrate your stand-up routine. Anyhow, I didn't read any further and stopped my sub on that title immediately. Actually, even though I enjoyed to some degree the new Iron Man and Mark Waid's Hulk, the only current Marvel Titles I'm getting are Fraction's FF & Fantastic 4. Depending on who's writing it, though, I am interested in picking up some of those killustrated issues, just for a yuck.

Also, I know this will never happen, but if they're gonna get comedians and the like to write Deadpool, I'd LOVE to see Tim Heidecker and/or Adam Reed take a crack at him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:52 am 
ABS

The only Marvel title I've been getting as of late is Venom. I might try Scarlet Spider at some point.