Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Geoff Johns & David Finch to launch JL America
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:14 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Sir not only that we can agree there is only one Batgirl.. just because I like Steph as Batgirl doesn't mean I also don't feel babs is Queen! But she's wheelchair bound I'm not feeling this speedy recovery.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:31 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Speedy recovery?

It took over 20 years!!! :lol:

Good night, folks! I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your server.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:38 pm 

I do like Gail Simone who just had no way of explaining so she went with "She got better"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:14 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Shellhead wrote:
Don't forget to tip your server.

If I do that won't he or she fall over? Badump bump.

I'm actually looking forward to this book. Stargirl is one of my favorite characters, and I can't wait to see how on Earth they explain Catwoman being on the Justice League lol.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:37 am 
Aspires to be #1

texgnome1 wrote:
Shellhead wrote:
Don't forget to tip your server.

If I do that won't he or she fall over? Badump bump.

I'm actually looking forward to this book. Stargirl is one of my favorite characters, and I can't wait to see how on Earth they explain Catwoman being on the Justice League lol.

Having sex with Batman automatically makes you a member.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:49 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Haha - there'd be a lot more members if that was the case.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:57 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Shellhead wrote:
Speak for yourself.

I think Batgirl and Aquaman have never been better. :wink:

I could care less about aquaman- and I usually like Gail Simone-- but the first arc of New52 Batgirl-- was just boring-- made me dump off the book- (even when picking them up secondhand for a 1.00)

There was no need to bring back Babs-- she was more interesting a character as Oracle-- (however I do believe we have had this discussion multiple times before)-- we will just have to agree to disagree..

For some reason the only comic from this new 52 I still pick up is Suicide Squad-- and I cant explain why-- I am usually just drawn to the villian themed books-- even when they are a train wreck...

And I was actually coming to like Damian (as bad as that is)-- although I think the interesting and Dick/Damian and even the slowly working Damian /Tim or Damian/Steph dynamic was gone once they brought back Bruce and the true father son dynamic-- and it made the new 52 book just unreadable--

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:12 am 

There's an issue of Teen Titans where he's at a playground with Supergirl... I think it's Supergirl or it was Cassie... and she says "Go play" and he has no clue what 'play' is... it builds a nice rapport between the two in the issue.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:36 pm 
Former King of Posts

The Superfly wrote:
Well, the original Crisis was ultimately retconned out with the return of Barry Allen and the Multiverse.
I felt that even though its effects were undone, that it still happened. But how did it happen if Supergirl had not existed back then? How did Shazam and Blue Beetle get into the JLI if it did not happen?

As for the new DC, it seems like the Batman and Green Lantern big events like Batman Inc and Blackest Night happened, but a lot of other things, like Brightest Day kind of did not. My hope is that at some point we find out that the death of Ted Kord, Identity Crisis and Cry for Justice all never happened.

The new JL America reminds me way too much of JL Detroit era. Then again, I did just finally read the retro JL tale starring that team where I found out Geoff is a huge fan of them. I have to wonder if the reason the Satellite era team has had its reputation trashed and this team has been spotlighted lately is that the Detroit team is the one Johns grew up on, the first version of the team he met.

Overall, not sure I'll still be reading comics when this comes out. I just really do not want to pay to read any of it anymore. I'd like to read certain titles, but I do not want to pay for them any more.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm 

According to Swamp Thing 1 Brightest Day or at least the end happened. Holland comments on waking up in the forrest/ swamp and the Nekron possession of Swamp Thing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:38 am 
Aspires to be #1

Van Statten wrote:
According to Swamp Thing 1 Brightest Day or at least the end happened. Holland comments on waking up in the forrest/ swamp and the Nekron possession of Swamp Thing.

Which is stupid. Their whole goal with this new 52 was to start over and provide an easy jump on point for new readers but they decided to pick and choose which story lines would come out of the old DCU which made things even more confusing than before.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:46 am 

Hence why the New 52 is just a half ass reboot. So some books didn't even really reboot such as Green Lantern while others like Blue Beetle have entirely new origins... almost as if certain writers felt they were too good for a reboot. If history is any indicator... we have another good five or six years of this before things will slim out and return to something more recognizable by long term readers.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:14 am 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

superfriend wrote:
As for the new DC, it seems like the Batman and Green Lantern big events like Batman Inc and Blackest Night happened, but a lot of other things, like Brightest Day kind of did not. My hope is that at some point we find out that the death of Ted Kord, Identity Crisis and Cry for Justice all never happened.

Well, despite what DC is saying, there is no logical way that Blackest Night could have happened, because nearly all the zombified Black Lanterns did not exist in the DCnU. Earth-2 Superman & Lois Lane; Elongated Man and Sue; Firestorm, Hawkgirl Kendra, Golden Agers Atom, Dr Mid-nite, Sandman, and Johnny Quick; the Doom Patrol, Tempest, Terra, none of these existed. Additionally, the heroes turned into Black Lanterns by Nekron (Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, Kid Flash, Superboy, Donna Troy, Ice) never existed, at least these versions.

Same with Identity Crisis. The JLA that built the satellite where Sue was attacked never existed in the DCnU, either. Neither did that version of Captain Boomerang or Jack Drake. Heck, we don't even know if Ralph or Sue Dibny exist in the DCnU.

Cry for Justice was retconned out as well, seeing as how Roy has his arm, and Lian, Prometheus, and that Oliver Queen don't exist anymore.

This is the problem with the New 52. Nothing has been planned, with continuity errors everywhere. They are attempting to create a new and cohesive history, but it's done in a sloppy and haphazard manner. It makes one wonder if Didio and Co are really that ignorant, or if they just don't care. If Superman never died, then Hal never goes nutso, and Kyle never gets the ring. Major Force didn't exist, so his gal never ends up in the fridge. Hal never went away, so Kyle never joined the JLA. It makes absolutely no sense...and don't get me started on Wally West.

Sure, I sound like a grumpy old fanboy, but these wonderful stories of legacies throughout 75 years of history that DC completely flushed down the toilet just to get sales temporarily back to the levels of 2007.

What a sad, depressing joke.

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:47 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

superfriend wrote:
Overall, not sure I'll still be reading comics when this comes out. I just really do not want to pay to read any of it anymore. I'd like to read certain titles, but I do not want to pay for them any more.

So, what are you saying? You're gonna free load? :roll:

Besides being unethical, how does that help the industry? Piracy is already taking its toll on comics. More piracy is eventually going to kill the goose that lays the golden egg.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:00 am 

Shellhead wrote:
Besides being unethical, how does that help the industry? Piracy is already taking its toll on comics. More piracy is eventually going to kill the goose that lays the golden egg.

I doubt that. The majority... the vast majority of people who download digital copies (either by illegal means or paying for them) of their comics also collect the physical copies as well.