Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hot Toys Scalper - scumbag or genius?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:00 am 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

Capitalist? Opportunist? Hell-bound Scum of the Earth?

You be the judge!

http://toyhaven.blogspot.com/2011/07/11 ... rs-in.html

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

Post subject: Re: Hot Toys Scalper - scumbag or genius?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:55 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Capitalist.

With a healthy dose of opportunist. :mrgreen:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:34 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Where as this is moraly wrong this is perfectly legit! He found people willing to get one for him. We all do this from time to time just not on this scale. These people however clever and business oriented will and do get their up and comings from the Karma Wheel... I hope he makes money but never gets to enjoy and has to spend it on something essential... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:43 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

I hate that people do things like this it's ruining for all the real collectors/fans. Scalping is a joke and it's out of control I wish there we could find a way to stop it. Having to pay twice or three tomes as much for a figure, statue or even tickets to some type of event you want to go to is out of line. But like van said what goes around comes around so I hope we can all band together and avoid buying from scalpers and let them take a financial hit and maybe that will work

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:48 pm 
Master of the Interwebs

My friend was at that event and witnessed this first hand. It's too bad for him and a lot of other legitimate Hot Toys collectors who didn't get the chance to buy the exclusives.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:21 am 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

vader wrote:
My friend was at that event and witnessed this first hand. It's too bad for him and a lot of other legitimate Hot Toys collectors who didn't get the chance to buy the exclusives.

Yeah, and that's why he's a dooshbag opportunist. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. But, some people, are in love with the notion of some kind of pure "capitalism" that is completely free of any moral or ethical sensibility. You know, real "free market" unregulated stuff, like child labor, robber barons, and scam artists. Yay pure capitalism!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:04 am 

xrmc20 wrote:
Yeah, and that's why he's a dooshbag opportunist. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. But, some people, are in love with the notion of some kind of pure "capitalism" that is completely free of any moral or ethical sensibility. You know, real "free market" unregulated stuff, like child labor, robber barons, and scam artists. Yay pure capitalism!

Just to point out because I believe it's unfair to lump all this together. Ecconomics does not teach nor does it promote breaking the law. Where as child labor, robber barons and scam artist are law breaking. It does however teach and promote a moral vaccum, where as there is no such thing as ecconomical ethics. Which truly is a shame. Ecconomics may teach and promote the Free Market which I am all about... it does however not teach good business. There shouldn't be morals involved with business just as you shouldn't do business with friends for the same reason but what I will say and leave this comment on... is someone should know when Enough is Enough!

Don't blame the free market, blame the individual.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:30 pm 

Van Statten wrote:
xrmc20 wrote:

Just to point out because I believe it's unfair to lump all this together. Ecconomics does not teach nor does it promote breaking the law. Where as child labor, robber barons and scam artist are law breaking. It does however teach and promote a moral vaccum, where as there is no such thing as ecconomical ethics. Which truly is a shame. Ecconomics may teach and promote the Free Market which I am all about... it does however not teach good business. There shouldn't be morals involved with business just as you shouldn't do business with friends for the same reason but what I will say and leave this comment on... is someone should know when Enough is Enough!

Well those things I lumped together are NOW illegal--laws had/have to be created because unregulated "pure free market capitalism" looks ugly and inhuman. That's the point. Sure, we can say that it's not the idea of a free market that's bad, it's the humans involved, but we could say the same thing about communism or fascism. Basic free market capitalism models can be great for human flourishing, but only if they are regulated in ways that protect people. If you strip out all social safety nets, then deregulate capitalism and give corporations unlimited power (by say, treating them legally as persons, and then allowing them to anonymously contribute as much as they want to PACs and campaigns), the percentage of people in that society that are flourishing will go down, and the wealth of the wealthiest people will go up.

There are lots of ways to make money by scamming people in unethical ways that aren't technically illegal. But most people choose not to try to make money that way. Therefore, :D , this hot toys scalper guy is a D-bag in my view. Most people wouldn't even think of being that big of a d-bag--it wouldn't even cross their mind.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:32 pm 

Van Statten wrote:

This is probably the smartest thing I've on this board in at least a week.

He broke no laws. Is he a douche (that's how it's spelled, BTW :wink: ) ? I'd say yes.

Did he do anything wrong? No.

I place the blame on the event coordinators for allowing him to exploit a loophole they should have closed.

Don't like capitalism? Go to North Korea. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:59 pm 

Shellhead wrote:
I place the blame on the event coordinators for allowing him to exploit a loophole they should have closed.

We agree then. Capitalism is great when fully regulated to protect us from d-bags.

Shellhead wrote:
Don't like capitalism? Go to North Korea

Don't like taxes or regulated capitalism, and you want limited government? Go to Pakistan.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:11 pm 

I didn't think all regulation is bad, I just believe markets are too regulated these days. Get rid of about 75% of it and the country would be a lot better off. :D

And while I wouldn't want to go to either country, I'd still pick Pakistan over NK (mainly to avoid starvation).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:04 pm 

Shellhead wrote:

Even better, take it a step further... evidently the general public were clued into this hence pictures of the man in action and we litterally have stop motion photography showing his ever growing mountain of swag. If the antending people saw this, how the hell did anyone incharge miss this?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:11 pm 
Master of the Interwebs

Shellhead wrote:

True.

They were aware of what was going on. But (I'm guessing) they were probably trying to avoid violence brought about by unruly scalpers. Since no one cried foul, they were pretty much left to do what they came to do.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:26 pm 

vader wrote:
Shellhead wrote:

True.

They were aware of what was going on. But (I'm guessing) they were probably trying to avoid violence brought about by unruly scalpers. Since no one cried foul, they were pretty much left to do what they came to do.

I hate sounding tripe but we (as in the toy collecting community) are to blame if we don't speak up. When I'm in Toys-R-Us or Wal-Mart or K-Mart... having been a Toy Manager for K-Mart and Target I know what's usually foul play or just laziness on the hands of department heads. So I call them out on it. I'll pick up an RMU, scan a UPC for an integrity check.

If no one said anything at this convention... and we don't know if they did or not... then who else is at fault? I'm not trying to sound like a cock but venting online (not that we are here, this is just a discussion) won't help.

We have to take a stand, a peaceful and fruitful... well placed stand against dickbags like this who ruin an entire hobby that is suppose to be fun... and yes even profitable for some... but this is not simple investment for profit, this is gouging and it is wrong but it will happen again unless it's brought to the convention organizer's attentions or even the people of the Hot Toys booth...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:11 pm 
Master of the Interwebs

Hong Kong news actually covered the story. Anyone here speak Cantonese?