Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Will the writers strike affect Comic-Con?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:49 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

entertainmentweekly.com posted an interesting article on their popwatch blog a few days ago. It seems the long running Writers Guild of America could possibly have a chilling affect on SDCC. Here's a clip:

Comic-Con is gonna get slammed this year, one way or the other. Even if the strike is over by the third week of July, the TV season's shot to hell and if production doesn't start toot sweet, next season will follow suit. And TV is a big part of what pushes the media stuff at Comic-Con: Heroes, Battlestar Galactica, Lost—even perennials like Babylon 5 and Buck Rogers still draw modest crowds.

But what would Comic-Con look like without the casts and crews of flicks like Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince, Watchmen, Star Trek, The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Spirit, The Wolfman, Land of the Lost, and G.I. Joe—all of which could be expected to strut their stuff in San Diego?

How will Hollywood court the viral-geek demographic without this monster of an event, which has eclipsed everything else in the landscape? My gods, could there actually be a San Diego Comic-Con where the big draw is...comics?

CHUD also weighs in with their thoughts.

I'll be perfectly honest with ya: I'm fine with a Comic-Con where the draw is comics. And I'm really fine with the idea of about 50,000 or 60,000 less people in that damn convention center. I'm tired of my feet constantly being stepped on.

Mike
(The question before us now, lads, is this: If the writers are still striking in July [And Dear God, do I hope they're not] do we then cross the inevitable picket line?)