Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: NYCC 2009 - Back to February?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:20 am 
Infinite Hero

Dang.

I just saw the dates on the NYCC site for 2009. Feb 6-8, 2009.

This puts it before Toy Fair '09 (Feb 15-18).

This would undoubtable affect what toys are shown/revealed at the Con.

I was (am?) planning on going next year, and taking my family to NYC but now I'm not so crazy about the idea. NYC in February? No thanks!

I wish they stuck with April.

Jeff

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/author/jeffcope/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:05 am 
Grickle Grass Grower

Mattel said that it was going to affect what they would show next year (as in they won't ). April is much much better--I am just thinking about that long long walk to the Javits and how much worse that will be with an icy February wind whipping off the Hudson. Think about how much harder it will be for cosplayers to get around with heavy woolen coats, mittens AND their Hellboy body suit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:13 pm 
Cold-cast

There goes the planning for my costume as the Rancor Keeper.
I can't go shirtless in February!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:36 pm 
my tummy itches

If anyone hears anything about why they chose to move the con back to April, please pass that news on!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:34 pm 
Grickle Grass Grower

Apparently it's scheduled for Superbowl Weekend next year. If the Giants or Jets (less likely) are playing, they will get less New Yorkers to attend Sunday, and possibly, at all.

Probably easier to book the Javitz then (but that is a total guess).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:46 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Arsenio3 wrote:

Yeah, I think the NYCC organizers are the mercy of the Javitz Center. They probably couldn't get the April dates because the place is already booked.

It was like that with SDCC back in the early 90's when we first moved into the San Diego Convention Center. The dates were all over the place. Sometimes it was June, sometimes July, sometimes August. In 1996, the year the Republican National Convention was held in San Diego, SDCC was almost moved up to Orange County.

Now that SDCC is established and plays a such big part in the local economy, we're pretty much locked into the last weekend of July as the official date.

In time, the same thing will happen with NYCC. As the show continues to grow, the organizers will have a much bigger say-so on when it gets held.

Mike
(Next year will be interesting, with Toy Fair, NYCC and Wonder Con happening back-to-back-to-back. I wonder if DC will dis NYCC for Wonder Con and Marvel will dis Wonder Con for NYCC? Or will it be the other way around? Or will they attend both shows and have con fatigue set in? And does anyone really care about Wizard World L.A.? Or Wizard World Philadelphia? Am I asking too many questions? Bueller?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:14 pm 
Cold-cast

SDcomics wrote:
Arsenio3 wrote:

Yeah, I think the NYCC organizers are the mercy of the Javitz Center. They probably couldn't get the April dates because the place is already booked.

It was like that with SDCC back in the early 90's when we first moved into the San Diego Convention Center. The dates were all over the place. Sometimes it was June, sometimes July, sometimes August. In 1996, the year the Republican National Convention was held in San Diego, SDCC was almost moved up to Orange County.

Now that SDCC is established and plays a such big part in the local economy, we're pretty much locked into the last weekend of July as the official date.

In time, the same thing will happen with NYCC. As the show continues to grow, the organizers will have a much bigger say-so on when it gets held.

Mike
(Next year will be interesting, with Toy Fair, NYCC and Wonder Con happening back-to-back-to-back. I wonder if DC will dis NYCC for Wonder Con and Marvel will dis Wonder Con for NYCC? Or will it be the other way around? Or will they attend both shows and have con fatigue set in? And does anyone really care about Wizard World L.A.? Or Wizard World Philadelphia? Am I asking too many questions? Bueller?)

Where is Wonder Con?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:44 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

H-Balm wrote:
Where is Wonder Con?

San Francisco.

Mike
(Click here for the official website.)