Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Not going to SDCC this year support group
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:34 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Maybe you've never gone. Maybe you've gone before, but not this year. Or maybe the 4-day passes sold out before you realized it (October for this one; September for 2011?).

For whatever reason, you can't go this year. And it sucks.

In my case, it was a combination of my usual con buddy is broke and can't afford it/4-day passes sold out before I knew it. I've gone in 2002 and 2004-2009, so being home this week is really weird and a bit of a bummer.

So, as misery loves company, share your tale of non-SDCC attendance woe.

It just might make you feel better. :wink:

BTW if you are going this year, no gloating! :evil:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

Post subject: Re: Not going to SDCC this year support group
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:10 am 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

East Coaster, with an aversion to traveling by air(which I am working on), who hates attending crowded conventions on any day other than Friday/the 1st day of the con. Unlike some, summertime is a really bad time for me to go anywhere. And I need to 'get stuff done' at the convention, and my recent track record is very poor at best.

So unless any specific con is within reasonable driving distance to me, it is a virtual impossibility to attend. May the AFi Gods smile upon me and others like me, and grant my humble requests for Mattel exclusives.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:41 am 

Welcome, Howard!

This is a safe place, and whatever is said here, stays here. :lol:

Perhaps you'd like to peruse our literature? :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:45 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I haven't been out to a convention since Motor City back in '94-'95. We used to make the rounds to Mid-Ohio, Motor City, Chicago, and Pittsburgh throughout the early to mid 90's and then things just kinda changed for me and I wasn't able to go to anything for a while. Since my son has been born it just hasn't been in the cards.

SDCC is on my bucket list but I most likely won't make it until my son is much older (he's 7 now and I suspect it'll be another 5 years or so before things stabilize between his mother and myself enough that she would let me take him to something of this magnitude without her controlling nazi fist, oops I mean guiding hand, ruining (damn, there I go again), setting up what we did when for how long with whom and why.

Sigh...

at least I have these boards, all my toy collecting mates, and the good karmic souls who have, and hopefully will continue to, hook me and my son up with all the cool swag.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:24 pm 

Thank you for sharing Burly Man, that was quite heartfelt. :wink:

Who would like to go next? Remember, our problem is nothing to be ashamed of! Thousands of others, all across this fair land, are dealing with the exact same thing we are! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:46 pm 
Knows his stuff

I didn't know the tickets would sell out as fast as they did. :| Living in CA, the trip would've been easy, too. Missed the four-day passes, so I decided to screw the individual days and just start getting ready for next year. :?

Check out Action Figured Out for additional plastic ponderings!
DCUC Wave 15 reviews coming soon!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:17 pm 

Yeah, that kind of put the final nail in the coffin for the trip for me as well. Lack of a Preview Night takes some of the air out of the con, doesn't it?

In any case, remember The Toy Collectors Prayer:

Toy Gods,
Grant us the serenity to accept that scalpers will always be a part of our hobby,
Courage to bid for the Con Exclusives we couldn't get ourselves,
And the Wisdom not to exceed our credit limit.
Amen.

:wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:27 pm 
Hat Pooper

I'm not going by choice. After going for about 30 years straight, I'm sick of the crowds, I'm tired of never being able to find anything I want in the dealer's room, etc. We've decided to opt out so long as Comicon stays in San Diego, the city just wasn't built for this many people to show up on one weekend. When you have to stand in line to get into any panel for hours, when you can't stop and look at anything in the dealer's room because you're swept along in the human tide... forget it. It's just not fun.

I think I'll hit Wondercon. It's what SDCC used to be when it was fun.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:30 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

For me it's just not financially feasible to go. All the costs associated with are exhaustive. Airfare, lodging, food, transportation while there, and the actual cost of the con itself. Couple that with the fact that both of my sons want to go.

I've been wanting to go for the last 4 or 5 years. But between it being so cost prohibitive, and the many horror stories I've heard about the crowds and the nerd stench :lol: (What is it about nerds and an aversion for proper hygiene/deodorant use?), I've been unable to attend as of yet. I really don't just want the exclusives. I want the full experience. Minus the wonderful aromas of course :wink:.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:41 pm 

It's Pop Culture Mecca.

Everybody into toys/comics/sci fi/fantasy/etc. should go at least one in their lives.

Not to mention all the half-naked cosplay women, many of whom are not jailbait! :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:19 pm 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

Check this, for all of us non-attendees...
Quote:
DARK HORSE AND RED BULL’S CHINASHOP MAGAZINE LAUNCH #NOTATCOMICCON CAMPAIGN!

OVER 50 COMIC SHOPS ACROSS THE US TO HOST EVENTS FOR FANS UNABLE TO ATTEND COMIC CON INTERNATIONAL

JULY 14TH, MILWAUKIE, OR – On July 24th fifty-five comic book shops across the country will host unique parties in conjunction with ChinaShop Magazine and Dark Horse Comics to celebrate the highly dedicated culture of sequential art during the weekend of San Diego Comic-Con.

Branded #NotAtComicCon, based on the Twitter hash-tag those unable to attend San Diego Comic-Con have been using, fifty-five participating stores will create a fun and creative atmosphere where free drinks and over $200 worth of Dark Horse prizes will be available. In addition, Dark Horse Comics will make an exclusive announcement to fans at participating stores before releasing the special information to crowds in San Diego.

Fans looking to participate in the unprecedented, nation-wide event can find a comic book shop in their area on the following site:

http://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/34/notatcomiccon

Plus, during the week of July 19th, ChinaShopMag.com will feature interviews with well-established comic creators who aren’t attending San Diego Comic-Con to get their insight into the larger community rarely talked about in mainstream news outlets.

Fans are also encouraged to use the hash-tag “#notatcomiccon” when talking about the event to show the world the fun comic fans have even outside the largest pop-culture convention. For more updates, follow @notatcomiccon and @chinashopmag on Twitter.

About ChinaShop Magazine:

ChinaShop is a cultural webzine with a focus on Music, Art, Fashion and Film. Covering everything from Hip-Hop to Punk Rock, Dior to the dime store, our global contributors capture a snapshot of the most compelling content available. Follow us at http://www.chinashopmag.com or @chinashopmag.

About Dark Horse Comics:

Since 1986, Dark Horse Comics has proven to be a solid example of how integrity and innovation can help broaden a unique storytelling medium and establish a small, homegrown company as an industry giant. The company is known for the progressive and creator friendly atmosphere it provides for writers and artists. In addition to publishing comics from top talent like Frank Miller, Mike Mignola, Neil Gaiman, Gerard Way and comics legend Will Eisner, Dark Horse has developed such successful characters as The Mask, Timecop, and SpyBoy. Additionally, their highly successful line of comics and products based on popular properties includes Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Aliens, Conan, Emily the Strange, Tim Burton, Trigun, Serenity and Domo. Today Dark Horse Comics is the largest independent comic-book publisher in the U.S. and is recognized as one of the world's leading publisher of licensed comics material.

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:22 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

Thanks again Fly. Looks like you'll have several different venues that you'll be able to attend in Colorado.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:26 am 

Stand strong, my brethren. Give in not to temptation!

Or at least, think of all the money you're saving on flights and hotels!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:00 pm 
My heart is of low-durometer PVC

I've attended the last 3 years, absolutely loved the first two visits but last year was not as pleasant. It became more work and stress than enjoyment. Here is a chronology of events:
1) Hoteloween
2) 7.5 hour flight from Toronto starting in the very early morning on Preview Wednesday
3) 1.5 hour line to pickup my 4-day badge
4) 3 hour wait sitting on the Sails Pavilion concrete floor in line for Preview Night
5) 3 hour wait in the sloth-moving Matty booth line; Preview Night ends while I'm still line; handed a Fast Pass for tomorrow that conflicts with the Avatar panel
6) Waited 4.5 hours outside in the burning sun for the Avatar panel. Damn Twilighters and their week long tent city. I missed the Disnel/Pixar, Burton/Depp panels because of that.

All that said, it's gut-wrenching to miss out this year. What I'll miss most is hanging out with fellow AFIers. It's amazing what a great little community we are, even though we span across the globe.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:49 pm 
Former King of Posts

Howard the Duck wrote:
East Coaster, with an aversion to traveling by air(which I am working on), who hates attending crowded conventions on any day other than Friday/the 1st day of the con. Unlike some, summertime is a really bad time for me to go anywhere. And I need to 'get stuff done' at the convention, and my recent track record is very poor at best.

So unless any specific con is within reasonable driving distance to me, it is a virtual impossibility to attend. May the AFi Gods smile upon me and others like me, and grant my humble requests for Mattel exclusives.

Howard, there are cons coming to NYC and Boston before the end of the year. I will probably try to hit the one in Boston.