Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Not going to SDCC this year support group
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:53 pm 
Former King of Posts

alcinde4 wrote:
For me it's just not financially feasible to go. All the costs associated with are exhaustive. Airfare, lodging, food, transportation while there, and the actual cost of the con itself. Couple that with the fact that both of my sons want to go.

I've been wanting to go for the last 4 or 5 years. But between it being so cost prohibitive, and the many horror stories I've heard about the crowds and the nerd stench :lol: (What is it about nerds and an aversion for proper hygiene/deodorant use?), I've been unable to attend as of yet. I really don't just want the exclusives. I want the full experience. Minus the wonderful aromas of course :wink:.

I bit the bullet and went once, 2006. By combining it with my annual family vacation, I could justify the cost. We would be flying and hoteling and eating out wherever we went. I wrote a series of blogs about my travels and other things we did while on vacation in San Diego.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:54 pm 
Former King of Posts

And I'm home too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:44 pm 
Wonderdog

I've been afraid to go since things started getting really crazy and packed and generally overwhelming at SDCC. I live on the east coast and it would be a considerable financial commitment, but that's not the major hurdle. The major hurdle is my poor health. I suffer from a whole mess of autoimmune diseases, but the Big Two are MS and Crohn's Disease. Neither one makes standing in line for over an hour for anything possible. Both together are a real trial. And if any of the others decides that, thanks to the stress of the trip, it's time for a flare-up, well, that would be Game Over. I can't, for instance, imagine losing my place in line for the Mattel panel because I had to run to the john (thanks, Crohn's) or simply couldn't bear to stand any more (thanks, rheumatoid arthritis) -- you get the idea. So as much as I would love to put it on my bucket list, events like SDCC just seem not very disabled-friendly and I am scared to go. The most I can handle is the Baltimore Comic-Con, which is what I imagine San Diego was like 25 years ago. Mostly comics; a few toys, big artists alley, and a chance to meet the creators you like. Thanks to Baltimore I've gotten more face time with people like "Walking Dead" creator Robert Kirkman and DC editor Ian Sattler than I ever would have in San Diego. Or so I imagine.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:10 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

It really isn't handicap-friendly, unless you have one of those scooter things, and even then its wall to wall people. Many times you have to squeeze between people and occasionally you'll get blocked in an aisle for a few minutes. If a fire ever broke out, a lot of people would probably die. It's that bad.

BTW my Dad has Colitis (similar to Crohn's, I've been told) so I know what an absolute pain it can be. I don't think you could do SDCC with it, since the BR's are pretty spread out and you'd have to leave the gigantic Convention Hall every time you'd need to go. Plus all the stalls are usually filled. I almost didn't make it a few times, and I don't have the condtion you must deal with.

Thank God for this site and the others like it. I'm missing a lot, but at least I know all about the toys coming out. Hopefully youtube will have some of the Hall H stuff.

Just repeat the support group mantra: I'm saving money by staying home, I'm saving money by staying home, I'm saving . . . :wink:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:10 am 
Wonderdog

Thanks, Shellhead; I feel a lot better about not going now. And I'm sorry to hear about your dad's colitis; it's a lot like Crohn's and in many ways can be worse. I can't go anywhere without having a planned "ecape route" to the nearest john, and I can't imagine having a crisis in a crowd like I'm seeing at SD. I'll just have to get my fix here and on G4, which is OK.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:48 am 
Hat Pooper

Yeah, seriously, there are times in the dealer's room where you can be packed in so tightly that you cannot move a step for minutes at a time, especially on Saturday. I don't know how anyone with personal-space issues could stand going at all, I know a couple of people who took one look at the crowds and said no way. I was talking to a friend of mine who is a police officer in San Diego and he says that yesterday's stabbing has been expected by the police for a long time. You take that many people fighting for that few seats, who sit around waiting for hours and hours and hours to see a panel and can't get in, it's no surprise that violence erupts.

Expect to see more of it until SDCC changes dramatically.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:09 am 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

My cousin has Crohn's, Tom. I feel for you, it's a tough disease but there is hope now that better treatments are being devised and people are more aware of it.

Trust it to Shelly to come up with a cool thread out of a downer like missing out on SDCC. 8)

I went there once, in 2001. Place was packed to the gills and the stench would have made Stinkor drop dead. Speaking of which, it was the only time I met John Buscema who had a bunch of tumors in his stomach but nobody told him because he was terminal. He was very friendly, placed his arm around my shoulder when we met and everything. Big John never talked much about his career so I attended his panel. Met Johnny Romita and his wife Virginia who were looking for John Junior in the hallway. I told them where he could be found and they thanked me. Nice couple.

There were people who smiled or made eye contact as I looked for the older pros on the floor: Marv Wolfman, Sergio Aragones, Ramona Fradon, and Marie Severin, whom I talked with. George Perez was very obliging at his signing, as was Kurt Busiek. James Robinson was great as he was just wrapping up his epic Starman series.

Most of these guys made the show for me, but some are gone now and it's not the same. Plus, I can't stand the crowds, the body odor, high food prices, and most cos players. Don't think I'll be going again unless they move it out here to Anaheim. But I skipped Wizard World last April, so who knows.

And my laptop died last week, so I was offline for the first couple of days. Infinite Heroes' telling absence spoiled the mood for me.

I'll take one of those brochures and some Kleenex, please. :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:02 pm 

Time to revive this thread once again.

This will be my 3rd year staying at home for SDCC. I thought I'd merely take a single year off after 6 in a row (2004-2009, seven times total as I first went in 2002), but 2010 was the turning point where attendence sold out quickly.

And I've been locked out ever since, thanks to the Con's less than ideal internet badge sales. :roll:

This year really stings because

A) Iron Man's 50th is one of the celebrations
B) there's actually quite a few cool exclusives (mostly on the Hasbro side of things)
C) The Escape San Diego Walking Dead event.

There's always something cool at SDCC, but they're never had anything like what the Walking Dead has planned. I don't know if I would have participated, but it sure would have been cool to observe.

And still, for reasons no doubt corporate, G4 is still off the air on DirecTV. While it wasn't anywhere near the same as being there, their coverage was the most on TV of anybody.

Here's hoping 2013 will be kinder to me! :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:40 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

When is SDCC again?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:32 am 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

Two years later and I'm writing this on an ancient Vaio desktop because my laptop is over at Staples. (Different machine from 2010 but what IS it with my computers around SDCC time???)

DirecTV has yet to return G4 in my area. Not that I haven't checked lately. But the thing is, the bigger and costlier this thing becomes, the less likelier I'm to return unless I flat out move down to San Diego. :?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:36 am 

And you're pretty close to SD, if I recall correctly! :mrgreen:

I agree with the cost. I'm probably saving well over $1000 by not going (and that's only for the hotel, flight, and meals; actually buying stuff would be extra).

Ah well, thank god for the internet. I'll know (and hopefully see) stuff almost as quickly as the people there.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:15 pm 
5" Scale

Sitting out another year. With a little guy it is just too hard to make the journey. If they ever get their ticket situation fixed I might try and talk my wife into me going solo one of these upcoming years. I'm kind of bummed this year though. Would really love to meet Adrian Paul and of course he's there this year. Haven't checked to see who's at the Star Wars booth. Still, if I did go it would be sad. I've only seen a handful of exclusives that I'd like to have.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:42 pm 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

The_Donster wrote:
Sitting out another year. With a little guy it is just too hard to make the journey. If they ever get their ticket situation fixed I might try and talk my wife into me going solo one of these upcoming years. I'm kind of bummed this year though. Would really love to meet Adrian Paul and of course he's there this year. Haven't checked to see who's at the Star Wars booth. Still, if I did go it would be sad. I've only seen a handful of exclusives that I'd like to have.

Dang! Adrian is gonna be there? That sucks. I've been waiting years for him to do a con in my neck of the woods. Usually, it's always Europe.

This is why I don't read the guest list anymore. There's no point in my being masochistic about it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:55 am 
my tummy itches

Location: Kegworth, just around the corner from Gotham, England
Would love to go, but the cost of getting there from the UK is just too high, and my wages are just too low.

Two of my best friends went last year as their honeymoon and it cost them over £4000 (admittedly, they went to Gencon as well).

As it is, no-one is offering any exclusives for the lines I collect this year so I'm not missing out as much as I would have usually.

I'll just be sitting by the PC late at night refreshing Noisy's armchair coverage again :(

Jo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:49 am 
Resin

I'm on an "every other year" (hopefully) basis right now and this is my off year. Plus, last year my buddy couldn't go so it ended up being more expensive than usual. C2E2 is my "every year" con and I'm considering NYCC this year.

Anyways, here in Ohio, I've just spent most of the work day pouring over the CCI schedule and emailing panel descriptions to anyone I know who might be interested, trying to illicit some sort of sympathy. I even emailed my wife the GLEE panel description hoping she would finally feel my pain. Alas, no one cares. Except all of you wonderful, unfortunate souls.

And yes, no preview night does hinder things even more, and it seems like there will be no preview night for anyone who does not get next years badge at this years con from here on out.

In other sad news, cbr is reporting that one attendee has already died. A Twilight fan who's been camping out for the panel was hit by a car and killed this morning. Horrible news. Some people have got it worse than us non-attendees.