Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Advise for SDCC 2012?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:25 am 
Resin

Hi everyone! Never been to comic con before and my wife and I are looking at going next year! :D

I know this year's con only just finished but to get decent value flights from the UK I need to look at booking sooner rather than later. I was planning on getting flights and hotel booked this month (any recommendations?) and then just waiting for tickets to be released.

Then I read about last year's ticket sales and now I'm dreading it and not sure what to do! Is everyone expecting the same problems this year? I feel like I'm in no win situation - if I book the holiday and don't get tickets then at best I'm looking at high cancellation fees, but if I leave getting the holiday until I have the tickets secured then the flight costs could have gone up to the point where I can't afford them! How does everyone else feel? Are any of you planning next year's trip already? Are you worried about getting in?

Also can anyone please explain the new member id system to me? I get that we'd both have to register id's, but then will I be able to log in as me and buy both our tickets or will I have to log in, buy mine, then log in again as my wife to buy her's?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Advise for SDCC 2012?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:38 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

First, get travel insurance. Your odds of getting tickets for the con next year are by no means guaranteed. In fact, I'd say they are significantly less than 50%, unless you are willing to just go 1 or 2 days out of the four. Single day tickets might be around long enough to snag a couple.

Secondly, SCDD buys up a significant portion of ALL the local hotels during con week. Unless you don't mind paying through the nose, you're better off waiting to buy the block SDCC makes available in the Spring. It's by far the cheapest way to go.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:08 pm 
Resin

I was afraid you'd say that. As much as I'd like this to be the first of many trips, it could also be the only time I get to go, so I was wanting to do the full 4 days (and preview night).

Right now I'm seriously thinking about giving up on preview night and just going for 4 single day tickets each as there's no saving on the 4 day pass and the singles might be slightly easier to get.

I'll keep that in mind. It really depends on flights for me, sometimes it's cheaper to pay more for the hotel in a package with flights than to get the hotel cheaper but have to pay more for flights.

Thanks for the advice.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:56 pm 

I hate to give you more bad news, but . . .

4 day passes with Preview Night sold out at the show, just like they did last year.

Try for the 4 day non Preview Night pass, however. While it won't save you any money, it will save you a lot of time by not having to line up each day to get your pass (they won't give you Friday's pass until Friday, and so on). It's very satisfying to walk right in pass the 100's of people waiting for their daily badge.

I'd also suggest not renting a car, at least during the days of the con. Traffic will be nightmarish and the price for parking is hefty. Get as near to the Convention Center as possible, and try to get a hotel that has the Con shuttle. Walk to the Con in the mornings and use the shuttle to get back to the hotel at night.

Bring snacks and water, they don't check your bags. The nastiness and price of the Convention Center food is near legendary (assuming of course you can even find a place to sit down). Use the snacks to skip lunch and make your dinner you're one true meal of the day.

These are a few of the things I picked up during my seven trips to SDCC.

While I believe it's gotten WAY too big, it is still a spectacle every pop culture fan need to see at least once in their life.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:03 pm 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

Shellhead wrote:
4 day passes with Preview Night sold out at the show, just like they did last year

I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. I think they made a point of saying that they wouldn't sell ALL of the 4+preview badges--they were planning on reserving some for the main sale. At least that is what was said at one point. Not that that means it will be easy to get one or anything.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:17 pm 

That may be true. I had heard that they limited the number of tickets they were selling for next year in order to have more available later in the year, but that the 4+ were still gone.

Hopefully, they'll clear things up in a month or so.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:19 pm 
Resin

Shellhead wrote:
Try for the 4 day non Preview Night pass, however. While it won't save you any money, it will save you a lot of time by not having to line up each day to get your pass (they won't give you Friday's pass until Friday, and so on). It's very satisfying to walk right in pass the 100's of people waiting for their daily badge.

xrmc20 wrote:
I think they made a point of saying that they wouldn't sell ALL of the 4+preview badges--they were planning on reserving some for the main sale. At least that is what was said at one point. Not that that means it will be easy to get one or anything.

Well there will (hopefully) be 3 of us going, so we might do something like 2 of us try for 4 day passes (plus preview if available, nice to know there may be some hope) and the other try for the singles. Still terrible odds given everything I've read today about this year's registration process but best I'm gonna get!

Shellhead wrote:
I'd also suggest not renting a car, at least during the days of the con. Traffic will be nightmarish and the price for parking is hefty. Get as near to the Convention Center as possible, and try to get a hotel that has the Con shuttle. Walk to the Con in the mornings and use the shuttle to get back to the hotel at night.

Bring snacks and water, they don't check your bags. The nastiness and price of the Convention Center food is near legendary (assuming of course you can even find a place to sit down). Use the snacks to skip lunch and make your dinner you're one true meal of the day.

No plans to rent a car. The only things we plan on doing other than SDCC are Wal-Mart the day before (cheap snacks/drinks) and Sea World and (hopefully) TDKR midnight screening on 19th (fly home 20th) after the con. Figure if we're coming all that way we may as well have a few days to relax after the event.

Shellhead wrote:

While I believe it's gotten WAY too big, it is still a spectacle every pop culture fan need to see at least once in their life.

I agree it does sound like it may have gotten too big to handle in recent years given the crashed systems and 7 hour sell outs (plus the 2012 pre-registration line at the con this year) but I think you're right - this is something every fan should try and do at least once and I really hope I can do it next year before ticket prices and flight costs price me out completely.

Any other con tips you can share?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:00 pm 

If you like seafood there's a decent restaurant right behind the Con Center called Joe's Crabshack that you can walk to easily. It's kinda tucked away in the marina and a lot of Con goers seemingly aren't aware of it. I've often been able to get a table in less than 15 minutes, especially if you go 3-5 PM on Thurs or Friday.

Avoid the center of the Con Floor on Saturday unless you're idea of a good time is trying to move through a massive stinky crowd at a rate of 10 feet per minute. See the cool booths on Thurs or Friday and as early in the day as possible.

The last two hours of the Con on Sunday are a GREAT time to get deals as dealers don't want lug back anymore than they have to.

If you do manage to get the 4-day pass, don't go until at least a half hour after the con starts for that day. You'll avoid a pointless line and be able to walk right into the Con.

Don't ask the Red Shirts any questions, they are temps and most of them don't know anything. Look for con personnel instead.

Consider volunteering for a day. It's just three or four hours and you get the rest of the day free into the con. I did it one year and got to do VIP check in. I got to meet Stan Lee, Chris Clairmont, and Peter David and I got them their badge. It was pretty cool and you get a unique T-Shirt.

Bring a backpack to hold stuff you buy and consider a poster tube if you plan on getting any art. Bring a lot of cash, as the ATM machines often have lines and sometimes run out of money.

Unless you like standing in line at 5AM in the morning, so might want to forget about getting into Hall H.

And unless you are in pretty good shape and do a lot of walking anyway, start walking more and more as you lead up to the Con. By Saturday your legs can feel like absolute jello if you don't.

BTW, unless you plan on going the taxi route, you will need a car to get to Sea World. It's about 15 miles out of town.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:30 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Shellhead wrote:
I hate to give you more bad news, but . . .

4 day passes with Preview Night sold out at the show, just like they did last year.

Sorry but INCORRECT on 4-day passes with Preview Night being completely sold out for 2012. CCI (Comic Con International) only sold 10% of their 4-day passes with Preview Night. The rest will be sold online in the future. It's sad when people act like they know what's going on and then they're completely wrong about it. Next time research better Shellhead. The way you've described SDCC is comparing it to a horror film. SDCC isn't that bad if you plan ahead and and focus on your priorities. It seems in your seven times attending SDCC that you haven't planned enough or made a game plan on your priorities.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:58 am 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

Please ignore Remigio here, he won't be bothering us anymore.

Comicon released a small percentage this year (as I heard it) of 4 day passes + preview night, due to the complaints of them not being available online last year. As of next year, there will be no onsite registration at all. Please visit the official site for additional information, and good luck/have a great time in 2012! Shellhead gives some great advice for planning for the show. I personally like having a vehicle there for storage, and I pre-purchase parking at the convention center. This year, exclusives came in very large boxes, which seems to be a growing trend, so you might want to ship them back home rather thhan carry on a plane (Fed-Ex is on site for these services, although I'm sure it's not cheap.)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:20 pm 
Resin

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I know tickets aren't guaranteed, but I'm thinking positive. I'm gonna plan as if I am going and try to have as much in place as possible before the tickets go on sale. Tomorrow I'm going to visit a few travel agents in town to get a rough idea of what it will cost (and any cancellation fees if I do book now but miss out on tickets).

Since I'm not planning to drive I'm hoping to get a hotel within walking distance of the convention centre. I know it'll cost more but I'm hoping I'll make some of it back by saving on hire car, insurance, parking and fuel costs (just get a taxi or even the bus for one off trips like Sea World). Can anyone recommend any good hotels within about 10 minutes walk of the convention centre? I've found map that says the closest are the Marriott, the Hilton and the Hard Rock, but I think they might be a little out of my price range :lol:

I'd like to avoid having to use fedex (customs allowance is much better bringing it back in person than posting it!) but I guess that just depends on which exclusives I want! Hopefully not to many...

Thanks for all the tips! I hadn't even thought about volunteering (does this affect how you register for the con? is it easier it get tickets for volunteers?) and it does sound like a cool thing to do. The poster tube is an excellent idea I'd never have thought of!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:37 pm 

BTW I didn't mean to be negative.

I just wanted you warn you about some potential pitfalls. :lol:

It's a great show with cool stuff going on in all directions. The first couple times I went (before I knew what I was doing), I wished I was Multiple Man!

The last thing I can tell you is to study the event list as soon as they post it online (which is usually a few weeks before the event). You'll need to see what conflicts there are (and there will be conflicts) and make the hard decisions as to what are MUST SEEs as opposed to THIS WOULD BE NICE. When you get the event book, highlight what you want and figure out where it is (because there's about 30 different venues where stuff happens) ahead of time.

And after all that work, be sure to pick up the daily update each morning to determine which panels/events have been moved and/or changed. :mrgreen:

It's a lot of fun, but you need to do your homework to get the most out of it, especially if it's gonna be a once in a lifetime event.

BTW check the official site for the volunteering info. I did it 10 years ago, so I'm sure things have changed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:25 pm 
Resin

Shellhead wrote:
BTW I didn't mean to be negative.

I just wanted you warn you about some potential pitfalls. :lol:

Believe me you've not been negative! I've been reading around a lot since deciding to go and I've seen negative (especially during the ticket sale saga!). All you've done is be realistic about my chances of getting tickets and given advice on how busy it can get. Which is far better than someone saying "you'll have no problem getting tickets, go ahead and book now"!

Shellhead wrote:
It's a great show with cool stuff going on in all directions. The first couple times I went (before I knew what I was doing), I wished I was Multiple Man!

Can't wait!!

Shellhead wrote:
The last thing I can tell you is to study the event list as soon as they post it online (which is usually a few weeks before the event). You'll need to see what conflicts there are (and there will be conflicts) and make the hard decisions as to what are MUST SEEs as opposed to THIS WOULD BE NICE. When you get the event book, highlight what you want and figure out where it is (because there's about 30 different venues where stuff happens) ahead of time.

And after all that work, be sure to pick up the daily update each morning to determine which panels/events have been moved and/or changed. :mrgreen:

It's a lot of fun, but you need to do your homework to get the most out of it, especially if it's gonna be a once in a lifetime event.

The only "MUST SEE" I can think of would be if WB did a TDKR or MOS panel (doubtful as they didn't even go this year and I believe TDK didn't get a panel in 2008 either). I have plenty of "WOULD BE NICE" based on this year's schedule so I'll just seen what the lines are like. Since there's 3 of us we might even take it in turns in the Hall H line so none of us loose a full day waiting in line.

Shellhead wrote:
BTW check the official site for the volunteering info. I did it 10 years ago, so I'm sure things have changed.

Thanks, I'll look into it!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:19 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Sorry to hijack thread, but I was hoping to get a 4 day pass or a 4 day+preview night (don't really care which) this year; is it really less than 50% odds if I'm on my computer ready to buy the second it goes up? Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:28 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Also, as for for buying passes, they have not announced the day that they will go up for sale yet right? If they havn't announced it yet does anyone have any estimations of what month it will be in? Thank again