All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Countdown to trying to get a decent hotel for SDCC
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:50 am 
Daniel Pickett

in 5....4...3...2... fingers crossed!

Post subject: Re: Countdown to trying to get a decent hotel for SDCC
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:42 am 
PVC

holy crap was that not fun. :evil: I got my reservation in for a room submitted by 910 but i still have a feeling that I am going to have an issue with getting a room close by. :roll: how did it go for everyone else? did you call or do the online form? not sure if i like this process more or less than in years past.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:35 pm 
Daniel Pickett

I did it online and was also in and out by 9:07... but I don't have a lot of hope of getting ANY of my 14 picks this go around. Last year 2 of us turned in our top 20 picks and got NONE of them in the first round. So we'll see!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:08 am 
PVC

Got my reply from SDCC and I didn't get a room. So frustrated. Looks like I will be staying in hotel circle again. So bummed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:08 pm 
active in the community

They had a second chance at a hotel yesterday and I lucked out.Seven miles away,but It'll have to do.Next is the airfare.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:08 am 
MINT!

If you are frustrated with the Travel Planners process...keep reading.

This will be my 7th year going to SDCC and I am usually lucky enough to get the hotel I want or close enough. This year I logged on with the masses and clicked boxes and filled out forms and in 4 minutes had listed 20 possible choices. A few days later I got my email explaining how happy Travel Planners were to offer me a hotel 7 miles away for the bargain rate of $199 a night. Not to sound like an ingrate, but for $199 a night, I need to be closer than 7 freaking miles.

I kept the room all the while having unhappy flashbacks of my first year when I was only 3 miles away and standing in endless lines for a shuttle only for the bus to arrive and be too full to collect more people...So, every day I paid for a taxi in order to stop the madness. Not wanting to be stuck in the same boat as that first year, I started calling Travel Planners every couple days and visiting their site any time I though of it. The recording and the website messaging very loudly proclaim: "THERE ARE NO DOWNTOWN HOTELS AVAILABLE!" But I would call and ask anyways...and I was turned away every time. They assured me that I was on "the list" and if their were cancellations, I was in the running for a better room. I asked a few people to explain to me how exactly that process works and where I was in the line but no one could offer ANY type of explanation at all.

So, out of sheer desperation I started looking up hotels in downtown San Diego that were NOT on the Travel Planners plan. I got on the Marriott website and it directed me to the Residence Inn All Suites in the Gaslamp a mere 2 blocks from the CC. I realized that this hotel was in fact on the TP list and it was actually my number 9 pick. Just out of curiosity, I punched in the dates for Tuesday-Sunday and guess what?

THERE WERE ROOMS AVAILABLE for Tuesday through Sunday! I quickly called the hotel to make sure this wasn't an error and they assured me that "Yes", they had rooms available. The person on the phone told me that many hotels don't have to divest all of their rooms to TP and they frequently keep a few in inventory for those guests who had no idea that SDCC was going on. The going rate was $250...the EXACT same rate offered when it was listed by TP. The only "catch" was that you HAVE to pay in full $1459...and there are NO refunds. FINE BY ME....I booked that as fast as I could and cancelled my room 7 miles away. Sure, it's $50 more...but I now don't need to deal with the hellish shuttles, taxi cab fares...I get free wifi, free breakfast buffet and free happy hour...plus the room is HUGE compared to the other one. But most importantly..I have discovered that one of the greatest luxuries you can experience at SDCC is the sheer euphoria that comes from not having to use the CC disgusting bathrooms and walking 2 blocks to your room is a much better option than ever contemplating entering those hellholes.

So, now that I have booked this new room, I wanted to see what other hotels were still avaialble.

No luck at the Hard Rock (my number one choice), Omni or Manchester...but lookee here...Bay Front Hilton ONE BLOCK AWAY STILL has rooms listed on their site with one gigantic asterix. If you locked in at the TP rate...the room with 2 beds would cost you $286 a night...but now, the generous people at the Hilton can book that exact same room for the bargain rate of...brace yourself...$769 a NIGHT!!!! Just to put this in perspective...thats more than my mortgage. So, for a mere $3,845 BEFORE TAXES you can still snag a room at the delightful Bay Front Hilton.

Seeing this made me even happier that I picked up the room at the Residence Inn...they didn't jack up their prices at all in order to gouge the guests unlike the folks at the Hilton. Seriously...for shame Hilton...that's just awful.

So, for all of you that are unhappy with your selections...don't rely on Travel Planners to give you the complete story about room availability...there are still places available much closer than 7 miles away. I booked this room on April 29th....GOOD LUCK!!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:50 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

To add to this yes guys you can book hotels like normal people do. Check Priceline and Hotwire DAILY!!! I got my whole weeks stay in Hotel Circle for less than $400. Granted it was last December when I booked it was only because I checked constantly.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:50 am 
shirtless hugger

Gee, I don't feel so bad now. My hotel was only a mile away. It was by the interstate, but it appears to have been closer than the hotels most others got.

I used the shuttle bus a few times, but that was hit or miss. One morning, the driver went the wrong way down a one-way street. The next day, the driver stopped halfway through the route for a bathroom break. I ended up walking to and from several times. A mile isn't that bad, especially when you're in San Diego. :)