Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Your Questions for the Toy Companies
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:53 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

As you all know, Julius, The Otter (I think) and myself will be at SDCC next week. We'll be talking to just about everybody; all the toy companies (DC Direct, Mattel, Hasbro, ToyBiz, Neca, Sota, ect), comic book companies (Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, Image, ect), movie studios (Lions Gate, Warner Brothers, Paramount, Universal, Dreamworks, Dimension, ect), you name it. So if you have questions you want answered, post them here. We'll take note and make sure they get asked during the show.

Mike
(It starts one week from today, gang!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:57 pm 
Kool Moe Dee

Ask DCDirect why they use those ugly crotches on their figures.

oh, and ask them why their toys break when you take them out of the package.

VC9k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:19 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
hey thanks for doing this Mr. SDcomics! :)

Hmm... if you wouldn't mind asking Mattel this: are they going to release a Robot Manhunter Figure? and also why aren't the JL Dr. Light and Aquaman three packs out here in UT yet? and also what Elvis said about re-releasing the five POA JL figs and making Superman's skin color the way it was when they first started making them, also they need to do better paint apps on his eyes and eye brows, thanks again Mr. SDcomics, :)

D.

Last edited by Dusty on Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:07 pm 
shirtless hugger

I was just about to ask if you guys were doing this this year! Thanks SD et al.

DC Direct
-Will they please change the COIE Batman's briefs color to blue? The black is meant to be shadows, and painted on the figure it looks odd. Same with the black paint on the face, to a lesser degree.
-Any chance of modern age, 6" figures of: the Creeper, Marvel Family(Ordway-based line would be terrific), another Bat Rogues Wave, a Flash Rogues War wave?
-Any chance of a Curt Swan Superman, or Kirby-based figures?
-Any chance of taller, sturdier stands for the 13" Figures whose characters can fly? As they are now, they can't even touch off the ground, despite their great flying poses.
-Any chance of a ReActivated wave of hard-to-find figures that everyone doesn't already have, like Cyborg Superman, Blue Beetle, Gorilla Grodd, Deathstroke, etc?
-Any plans for an articulated Looney Tunes line?
-The world demands a 4" articulated, realistic sculpt DC superheroes line! Will DCD provide one?
-Any possibility for box sets in the DC Minimates line?

NECA
-What is the status of the Ring boxset?
-What is the status of the Phantasm boxset?
-Any other DC/WB properties within their reach, such as Constantine?

Sorry, I'm very inquisitive.

EDITED 7/18/06: Removed answered questions.

Last edited by bluesparrow on Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:27 am 
active in the community

Here's my question:

Who would win in a best 2 out of 3 indian leg-wrestling match between Julius Marx and Nomad? And how much alcohol would it take to set that up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:32 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

MATTEL Will you ever start putting out the 5 POA versions of Superman, Batman, Flash, Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter and the 1st version Wonder Woman in with the JLU 3 Pack assortments?

It would just be really nice to have the choice between the origiinal sculpts and the articulated ones.

Last edited by elvis8batman on Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:50 am 
Infinite Hero

Hey folks,

Please follow bluesparrow's format for questions (as posted above, i.e. list the company and then the question). This will make it much easier for your intrepid AFI reporters to organize and ask your questions at the Con.

Thanks!

Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:50 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

MATTEL: I want info on the Mattel 60's TV Batmobile and whether they would consider doing other toys based on the Adam West show. We're in the midst of the 40th anniversary of its run and the rumour is that it will finally be coming to DVD.

Any plans for Batcopters, Batboats, Batcycles or (gasp!) action figures?

And anything on JLU, of coarse.

BANDAI: If they show, could we find out if Teen Titans is dead? It's sure looking that way.

I'll be there to ask myself, but I know you're more likely to get the inside scoop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:58 am 
Former King of Posts

Mattel: JLU: Can Superman be 'fixed' so the rest if the copies we get are not hunched over looking at the ground? He's Superman, he should be looking slightly upward! (up, up, and away).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:49 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

>>Who would win in a best 2 out of 3 indian leg-wrestling match between Julius Marx and Nomad? And how much alcohol would it take to set that up?<<

Well, one time Julius and Adrian got into a shirtless, Cherokee Indian style knife fight.

And then there was the creamed-corn wrestling match between Superfly and the dude in the Flaming Carrot costume. The 'fly stripped down to his leopard skin man-thong for that one.

That kinda stuff tends to happen at the Diamond parties. The alcohol is free and flowin', don'cha know. Image Image Image

Mike
(The worst part: Most of the spectators at these types of events tend to become oddly ... aroused ...) :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:44 pm 
categorically opposed

Mattel
JLU
    How long can we hope for JLU to last beyond this "last hurrah" at SDCC?
    Is there any hope for Fire, Ice, Barda, or Crimson Fox?
    Can I have a Grundy?
DCSH
    Can we be a little more specific and exact about what the hell the variants are supposed to be?
    With all the restrictions that DC has placed on you, do you really think the line has a chance to survive? Do you feel like DC will ever give?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:49 pm 
shirtless hugger

For DCDs... When will the figures stick to one scale???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:03 pm 
Kool Moe Dee

SDcomics wrote:
And then there was the creamed-corn wrestling match between Superfly and the dude in the Flaming Carrot costume. The 'fly stripped down to his leopard skin man-thong for that one.

That kinda stuff tends to happen at the Diamond parties. The alcohol is free and flowin', don'cha know.

Mike

(The worst part: Most of the spectators at these types of events tend to become oddly ... aroused)

KEERIPES I thought this was a family site.

but if it's gonna be that kind of party...

VC9k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:32 am 
Loose, Missing Package

ZIZZLE (if they're there...):
POTC -
When will we get to buy a Rigetti figure?...
Any chance for Mr. Gibbs, Mr. Cotton (with parrot), Tia Dahlma, the prison dog or Jack the monkey?...
Any chance of figures from the first film?...
Any more deluxe figures?...
Will there be a Papa Sparrow (Keith Richards) figure next year?...

MATTEL:
JLU -
Any chance of peg holes in the feet of all the characters?... (I don't want stands included, just options...)
Say, hypothetically, if WB came to you guys and asked for Question and Captain Atom figs to be packed with the JLU season sets would you guys jump at that?... (Guys, put the bug in WB's ear, too!!! Maybe an exclusive for Target?...)
Not a question, but begging for a "boys" line of Wonder Woman toys if the movie gets off the ground... just a couple of "movie-scale" figures and a 30"er to go with the Superman and Batman I've already got...

Batman (budget line) -
Any chance for "new" figures using JLU bodies and new heads?...
Any chance for show accurate decorations on these figures?

Cars -
Has there been a push to get more merchandise into production or will we continue to see empty pegs for a while longer?
Any new product/push with the DVD release this fall?
How many more paint variations can we expect to see?
More two-packs?

HASBRO:
Star Wars -
Mace Windu's purple astromech?... PLEEEEEEEAAAAAASE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:19 am 
Infinite Hero

Jim_Abell wrote:
ZIZZLE (if they're there...):
POTC -
When will we get to buy a Rigetti figure?...
Any chance for Mr. Gibbs, Mr. Cotton (with parrot), Tia Dahlma, the prison dog or Jack the monkey?...
Any chance of figures from the first film?...
Any more deluxe figures?...
Will there be a Papa Sparrow (Keith Richards) figure next year?...

Hi Jim,

Zizzle's not (according to the SDCC website) exhibiting at the Con (I was hoping they would, too. Would've been awesome exposure for a new figure maker)...but I can answer a couple questions for you.

Rigetti is slated for Series 3 (Sept/Oct, prob. to tie in to the DVD release)
Jack the monkey would be awfully hard to pull off at that scale.
Zizzle isn't commenting on figures for the third movie (to answer your Keith Richards question)
They do have the license to "Curse of the Black Pearl", but when asked they only give a vague "we're working on it" reply. Given how the figures seem to be selling, I think we'll see them at some point, but that's just speculation on my part.

Hope that helps!

Jeff