Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: SDCC Animation panels sound AWESOME this year
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:58 am 
Displays Backwards

I haven't been to the SDCC since 2000, but the animation panels that year blew my mind. I sat directly behind Mike Mignola and his wife during Disney's presentation on Atlantis, and among other things sat in on amazing panels about Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker with Bruce Timm, Paul Dini and Mark Hammil and Futurama with nearly the entire voice cast. There was nothing like seeing a never-before seen episode of Futurama with the cast, crew and a theater full of fans, never mind getting to ask Matt Groening a question about the show during Q & A.

This year's animation panel schedule alone sounds worth the price of admission. Here's just a few highlights...

Thursday

8:30-10:30 Superman Doomsday
- the world premiere of Warner Bros. Animation’s made-for-DVD movie with panelists Bruce Timm, writer Duane Capizzi and members of the voice cast. Ballroom 20

Friday

10:30-11:30 Pixar Short Films
Three of Disney/Pixar’s most talented filmmakers, Ralph Eggelston (For the Birds), Andrew Jimenez (One Man Band), and Gary Rydstrom (Lifted) discuss the studio’s short films, with a Q&A session to follow. Room 6CDEF

3:30-4:30 American Dad Seth MacFarlane and the entire cast of American Dad (Wendy Schaal, Rachael MacFarlane, Scott Grimes and Dee Bradley Baker) will read an episode live with exec producers Mike Barker and Matt Weitzman. Room 6CDEF

4:15-5:45 Warner Bros. Animation: The Batman/Legion of Super-Heroes Supervising producer Alan Burnett (The Batman), producer-director Michael Goguen (Batman: The Animated Series), producer James Tucker (Justice League Unlimited), director Brandon Vietti (Superman Doomsday), and story editor/writer Michael Jelenic (The Batman) will be joined on the panel by voice cast members. Room 6B

6:00-8:00 Ray Harryhausen and 20 Million Miles to Earth Stop-motion animation genius Ray Harryhausen will speak briefly, answer a few questions, then do live commentary while the film 20 Million Miles to Earth is screened. He’ll also answer more questions as the screening proceeds. Room 6B

Saturday

10:45-12:00 The Simpsons Meet Matt Groening, Al Jean, David Mirkin, Matt Selman, Michael Price, David Silverman, Matt Warburton, Don Payne, and Yeardley Smith (voice of Lisa Simpson). Moderated by Bill Morrison. Hall H

1:30-2:30 Family Guy Creator/star Seth MacFarlane, showrunner/executive producer David A. Goodman and the creative team behind Fox’s sucessful animated comedy. Room 6CDEF

2:15-4:00 WALL•E - Andrew Stanton (Finding Nemo) introduces Pixar’s newest star, WALL•E. Stanton and sound designer Ben Burtt (Star Wars) present a first look at Disney·Pixar’s next animated adventure! Hall H

3:30-4:30 Futurama Matt Groening is proud to announce the long-awaited return of the animated sci-fi comedy classic Futurama! Matt and executive producer David X. Cohen will be on the dais, accompanied by writer Ken Keeler, animation directors Peter Avanzino and Dwayne Carey-Hill, and for the first time together on stage in any universe, actors Billy West (Fry), Katey Sagal (Leela), John DiMaggio (Bender), and Maurice LaMarche (Kif Kroker)! The cast and crew will entertain your questions and present a sneak peek at Bender’s Big Score! in glorious wide-screen format! Moderated by Bill Morrison. Ballroom 20

There's much more: http://www.cartoonbrew.com/events/san-d ... rogramming

In case it sounds like I'm pimping something I get a cut of, I won't be there again this year; I'm signed up to be at Cub Scout camp with my son that week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:10 am 
buzz word garbage hater

This alone has made me decide that I AM going to SDCC next year. Come heck or high water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:13 am 
Prototype

Certainly sounds awesome. Wish I could be there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:56 pm 
Former King of Posts

Go this year. Why wait?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:33 pm 
buzz word garbage hater

There is no way I have the money this year. And would I really be able to find a hotel??