Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: All Seven Image Comics Founders Reunite For SDCC Panel
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:00 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

I saw this posted today on Newsarama:

ALL SEVEN IMAGE COMICS FOUNDERS REUNITE FOR SDCC PANEL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Press Release

The original seven founding members of Image Comics will appear together at Comicon International: San Diego on Friday, July 27, from 10:30-11:30am in Room 5AB, at the "Image Founders Panel." The panel will be hosted by George Khoury (author of TwoMorrows Publishing's new book "Image Comics: The Road to Independence," available at www.twomorrows.com).

In 1992, seven artists shook the foundation of the comic book industry when they left their top-selling Marvel Comic titles to jointly form a new company named Image Comics. With no certainty of success, they formed a home that would allow themselves and other artists the opportunity to tell their stories without any censorship or editorial restraints. Even more importantly, Image would finally give creators full ownership of their properties. In an industry that began with artists working in sweatshop-like conditions, Image remains a living beacon for any creator that dares to dream.

Appearing at the panel will be Erik Larsen, Jim Lee, Rob Liefeld, Todd McFarlane, Whilce Portacio, Marc Silvestri, and Jim Valentino. This will be the first time that the original seven founding members of Image Comics have ever appeared on a panel together.

Join the conversation as the Image founders explore the past, present and future of Image and the comics industry. The hall has a maximum seating capacity of 500, so attendees are encouraged to arrive early.

Mike
(I personally can't stand Image and never could, but I thought some of you might be interested.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:24 am 
Crime Against Nature

Oh c'mon, Mike!

How could you *not* be excited by a character named "Deathblow"?!?

DEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATHBLOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWW!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:36 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Sounds like something my ex did to me when I was feeling frisky and she wasn't...

Peace,

Chip ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:36 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Ya know, the more I think about this, the more surprised I am that Todd agreed to it. He seems to be snobbishly above comics, now.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:44 am 
proverbial old fart

marillion wrote:
Ya know, the more I think about this, the more surprised I am that Todd agreed to it. He seems to be snobbishly above comics, now.

Peace,

Chip

McFarlane has been on rocky ground with his toy company lately. He probably needs all the reinforcement he can get to shore up interest in his business...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:12 am 
Bob Vila

I also can't really stand Image, but I'm still pretty curious. Image is fascinating, in a driving past a traffic accident kinda way. The Comics Journal did a GREAT series of articles on Image's rocky history a few years ago. Well worth reading for anyone interested in comics history and behind the scenes stuff, even if you hate the comics. If anyone's interested I'll see if I can dig out the issue numbers.

Oh, and say what you want about Todd McFarlane, but he's never been one to shy away from a potential fight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:15 am 
Infinite Hero

hellpop wrote:
, even if you hate the comics.

....like The Comics Journal?

;-)

Jeff

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/author/jeffcope/