Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: superfriend presents: SDCC as a Family Vacation - part 2
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:43 am 
Former King of Posts

Wednesday
Harbor tour
The best part about this tour was the fact that it was given by a retired navy seaman. he had served on the USS Midway, which was moored near by. It just added a lot of authority to what he was saying. And we got to see Navy Seals jump out of helicopters into the water. We were there during their training.
Con Preview night
Julius had my pass and was coming in tomorrow. I thought there was no way I could get in. My wife called my mother-in-law about something else. MIL suggested I try to get in anyway. So i was dropped off at the Con. After standing in line to get my pass for about an hour, a staff person let us in and said to come back for our passes later. I called Julius and told him I was in. SDcomics was there too. Somehow, we did not cross paths. My loss. It was cool being in the exhibit hall.

Thursday
My family went to the Natural History museum. The report was that it was good, but not enough to take a whole day. And she met someone from Rhode Island.
I went to the Con all day. I met Julius at the entrance and we headed off for the Mattel booth. The first panel I made it to was the Mattel panel. I’m sure I stopped at another one, probably DC, but what I remember is walking the isles of the exhibit hall. I talked with Seth, designer of WizKids HeroClix. I met Rob and Bobbie of RTM. And bumped into Julius a few times. And Ham Salad. I bought 2 t-shirts from Stylin On Line.

Friday
Cabrillo National Monument,
They told us this is the 2nd most visited park in the united states.
Cabrillo was an explorer from the era of Spanish conquering of Mexico. He explored up the west coast for Spain.
Con
I popped into the Con for a DC JLA/JSA panel. If you don’t get the chance to ask a question during a panel, or are too shy to do so, you can sometimes catch the panelists on their way out. I nabbed a DC guy and asked a question.
Beach
We finished off the day at the beach. The sun goes down quite fast. It was really cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:46 am 
Former King of Posts

Saturday
Califonia Catholic Mission,
This was a taped tour. They gave you a very old style tape recorder and a tape. It was so hot that they shut the mission and sent all the volunteers home. It was the hotest day in San Diego all summer.
Trolley Tour
Our guide, Gouda, was so funny we did not get off although you could. great tour made better by his anecdotes and stories about the area. if I changed the order of things, I might have done this on the first day to get a better idea of the layout of the city.
Con
I popped into the Con one more time. I got there just in time to see Julius Marx’s panel. Then I went to the TheBatman/Teen Titans panel. Knowing my kids would be upset if I saw “Titans in Tokyo” before they did, I left the panel and went to watch the Mascarade Contest. The best ones were several people working together to pull off a skit. i think my favorite involved a Stormtrooper so distracted that the entire cast of A New Hope escaped past him.

Sunday
Tijuana,
Never use cash anymore? Well, you need cash in Tijuana. If you go without cash, your adventure might be similar to ours. The tour bus down and back took most of what we had left for cash. They told us we could get cash there. But every ATM with American money was empty. If you could get to it. The first one we found was blocked off. Now this was an issue because we did not have enough money to buy lunch. A very ambitious waiter took us down the street to his bank and we got Mexican money with which we bought lunch at his restaurant.
Imperial Beach
Same as the other night, awesome sunset.

Monday
Scrippts Aquarium
Honestly, at this point, we are sick of looking at animals and ready to go home. If we could do it again, we would spread out the animal activities more. If it wasn't the last day and we needed a kind of half day activity, we probably would have picked something else, but going was easier than picking something else.
It did have some neat stuff in it.
Maritime History Museum
We had time to fit this in before our flight. This is a collection of 4 ships on the harbor. One is a submarine. One is full of tiny models of other ships. One has exhibits like a regular museum.
Flight Home
Not sure how this worked, but because of time differences, we ended up getting home Tuesday morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:50 am 
Former King of Posts

I hope these two threads give you an idea of how you can turn SDCC into a family vacation. We had a blast. There is a ton of other stuff to do near by as well. Disneyland for starters.

I'll be waiting in anticipation for the reports of this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:33 am 
buzz word garbage hater

San Diego is an AWESOME town. There is tons of stuff to do.