Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: SDCC Day Three Report: A Fistful Of Otters
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:45 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

So today I had an opportunity to talk with Georg Brewer, Vice-President of Design and Retail Product Development with DC Direct. I genuinely enjoy my annual SDCC chats with Georg. He's a great guy and usually he's very forthcoming with information. This year was certainly no exception. I asked questions, Vice President Brewer provided answers.

I asked about the Killing Joke boxed set. It's interesting to me because Batman and the Joker are new scuplts. Previously, when DC Direct has released two figures in a set with a paperback, it's been repaints (Superman/Doomsday and Hush Batman/Scarecrow being two examples). Georg said he saw an opportunity because of next year's Dark Knight movie. He wanted this set in bookstores next summer because it's the ultimate Batman/Joker story and interest will be high because of the film. He also mentioned that these two figures will be released in a later assortment if all goes according to plan. I asked which assortment and he said "It'll make sense". It's not a Killing Joke wave, he said, but something else. He declined to elaborate any further. I'm thinking maybe an Alan Moore DCU wave?

Next year is DC Direct's 10 anniversary. DCD will be introducing two new lines of action figures. I asked what, and he said the fans will love it. They're 6" scale and "very classic". One of the two lines will make it's debut at Wizard World Chicago next month.

I asked the Neal Adams Batman question. I got the "It'll find it's time" answer. I'm wondering if that's one of the classic lines that'll be out next year. But really, I don't know. I'm just speculating.

DCD Minimates are doing well. In fact, sales are going up. Wave nine is being worked on now.

The Orion figure in the New Gods wave will "probably" have an astro harness assembly.

A 13" scale Joker is on the way.

The regular 13" Batgirl will have sculpted hair. The variant will be rooted. They haven't decided if Wonder Woman's hair will be sculpted or rooted. Sculpted looks nicer but it limits the range of motion. They're debating it now.

The Dr. Fate helmet prop is being held up because of quality concerns. Georg wants a gold finish that will look nice but at a reasonable cost for fans. It's still on the agenda.

I asked about more Crisis On Infinite Earths assortments and Georg said that there are none on the schedule currently. He said that they'll get back to it, though. The Crisis trade paperback continues to be a strong seller.

More First Appearance: Same as Crisis. None currently scheduled, but something they'll get back to at some point. DCD likes the idea of First Appearance in general. Like Crisis, it's a good umbrella line to produce different characters.

Here's something you guys will like: I asked about a Kevin Maguire artist inspired JLI wave, and yes, that's in the works! They're talking about different things they can do, like maybe giving each figure in the assortment multiple heads with different facial expressions (For those that don't know, Maguire's JLI art was famous for the character's facial expressions).

The Alex Ross Justice line will continue. Probably with fewer armored figures, though. Georg knows the fans don't seem to care for 'em. He would like to see the line branch out beyond the JLA.

I asked about Image era Jim Lee WildC.A.T.S. figures. Georg is not opposed to the idea, but in the past the Wildstorm stuff has not preformed well at retail. If this is something you guys would like to see, you might want to tell your local comic shop owner so he can let DC and Diamond know.

In the future, Mattel will probably be handling any figures based on DC's direct to DVD animated movies. Superman/Doomsday will more than likely be the last movie line handled by DCD. So if we want to see figures based on, say, the animated version of New Frontier, we'll have to ask Mattel.

Classic Metal Men? Georg just isn't sure it would sell.

For my own edification, I asked how well the Showcase volumes are selling, since Georg is also in charge of collected editions. He said they're doing very well. He loves that format. So do I.

Assortments based on the weekly Countdown series are possible. But because of the long lead time that figures have in production, the assortments would come out right around the time that Countdown ends.

I asked about Morrison era JLA figures and Georg says that it's possible. Howard Porters art would make interesting figure designs.

Mike
(That's it for tonight. One more report from SDCC tomorrow. Or early Monday morning if I'm too darned tired. Stay Tuned.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:39 am 
PVC

Thanks Mike. Same old evasive Georg, but we now expect that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:09 am 
Factory Worker

JLI news kicks.

Post subject: Re: SDCC Day Three Report: A Fistful Of Otters
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:18 am 
Former King of Posts

SDcomics wrote:
Here's something you guys will like: I asked about a Kevin Maguire artist inspired JLI wave, and yes, that's in the works! They're talking about different things they can do, like maybe giving each figure in the assortment multiple heads with different facial expressions (For those that don't know, Maguire's JLI art was famous for the character's facial expressions).
I asked about Morrison era JLA figures and Georg says that it's possible. Howard Porters art would make interesting figure designs.

I've been saying it since we got JLA Classified wave 1. That name could be used to give us a wave or two of every artist who drew the team.

I'd like to see them flesh out the JL over history this way. Porter is the only one who drew Aztek and Zauriel in the League. McGuire drew the Beetle Booster group. Perez designed Zatanna's costume.