Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: So cool - set of pics from the 1982 SDCC
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:01 am 
Displays Backwards

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan-light/sets/72157601430944410/

Check out Chuck Jones chatting with some luminaries next to a poster advertising a Time Bandits showing.

:(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:29 am 
Grickle Grass Grower

Not much cosplay in 82 huh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:46 am 
Displays Backwards

There's one loooonely looking guy in a Tarzan loincloth...

Man, the industry was on life support in 1982. Looking at all those newspaper strip artists, I realized that Garfield was still a year out, along with the new (last) golden age of newspaper strips that gave us Calvin & Hobbes, The Far Side and Bloom County. Leslie Nielsen looks young in the pic (ironically, on an airplane). The pic of Frank Miller was at the height of his Elektra work on the Daredevil series, that was about to inspire the creation of TMNT and The Tick.

Funny -- in the Frank Miller pic, you can see a sign behind him that John Byrne wrote. Ed Brubaker explains the joke here:

"That’s actually John Byrne’s sign. I was standing about two feet from that scene, watching Frank Miller sketch, right then. Byrne’s sign said he didn’t want to draw any X-Men but Kitty (which you can see). The sign Frank Miller put up, after he looked at Byrne’s sign and smiled, said he would draw ANY X-Men, except for Kitty, and I think he even undercut John’s price, but I can’t be sure.

"I remember that vividly, because John Byrne eventually noticed Frank’s sign and tore his own down and left. Not exactly in a huff, but not enjoying Miller’s joke."

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:10 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

I can't thank you enough for posting this. I was in my first year of collecting in 1982, so this was an amazing experience looking at all those pictures...

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:20 pm 
Displays Backwards

It's worth backing out to his overall photoset -- he has some amazing old celebrity photos of himself with the most bizarre famous people...

The ones with OJ Simpson on the beach in the 80s and Michael Jackson hugging his nephew... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:25 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Well, I now have the rest of the evening planned. Thanks, Petey!

I'll also have to dig out my pic with Chuck Jones at some point...

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:30 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Sheesh...I'm not even 35 pics in and I'm floored by the people he's met.

Forget Kevin Bacon...how about "Six Degrees of Alan Light?"

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:39 pm 
Displays Backwards

Seriously. Who is this guy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:55 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Apparently all you have to do to meet 75 celebs is attend one Governor's Ball. :D

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:16 pm 
Damage Control

HOLY CRAP??!?!??!!! :shock:

RETRO!??!!!! OLD SKOOL!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:33 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

It's ironic. I just recently said in another thread on this board that I attended my first SDCC in 1982 and now a bunch of pics from that show pop up online. Thanks for the link, Peter.

Yep, I was there that year. And since it was my very first comic-con, I was in total awe. There I was, a kid who was still in the Navy and from a small town in Indiana, standing in the same room with Jack Kirby, Carl Barks, Will Eisner, Burne Hogarth and Milton Caniff. I was walking around in a total daze. It was like I had to be dreaming. It just didn't seem real.

The convention center that the con currently uses hadn't been built yet. In those days there was no Horton Plaza, no Gaslamp Quarter, no Seaport Village and obviously no Petco Park. Downtown San Diego was in the grip of urban decay. If you wanted to go to dinner and see a movie, you did it out in the suburbs at one of the malls. No one walked around in the city by themselves at night. It was too dangerous. I think that's the biggest difference between my first SDCC and now. The city of San Diego itself has changed so dramatically over the years. You'd never know it was the same place.

I can't get over how young everyone looks in those pictures. Especially Dave Stevens. He was just a kid! :wink:

I didn't want that show to end. I had the time of my life. I couldn't believe how much fun I had. As I was driving back to my base up in Ventura County in my little beat-up Datsun B210, I remember thinking that I would definitely comic back and do it again the next year. And I also remember looking at the miles and miles of coastline and the beautiful scenery and thinking that San Diego wouldn't be a bad place to make my home someday.

I transferred down here the following January. And I've lived here ever since.

And it should go without saying that I haven't missed an SDCC. I'd have to literally be on my death bed for me not to go.

Mike
(I'm so lucky. I've been to 26 straight SDCC's. I wonder what changes, in the industry and in the city of San Diego, will occur in the next 26 years. I'll let you know in 2033! :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:39 pm 
Displays Backwards

SDcomics wrote:
It's ironic. I just recently said in another thread on this board that I attended my first SDCC in 1982 and now a bunch of pics from that show pop up online. Thanks for the link, Peter.

So awesome. Thank you for the stories to go with the pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:49 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

>>Man, the industry was on life support in 1982.<<

Sir, with all due respect, I cannot agree with that. In my view, it was just the opposite. The direct market was just beginning to boom that year. Cerebus, The First Kingdom and Elfquest were already in full swing. And 1982 marked the debut of Groo, the Rocketeer, Love and Rockets and Grendel. It was a great time to be a fan back then. There was new and exciting stuff coming out all time.

>>Not much cosplay in 82 huh?<<

Heh. One night during the show I walked into a little bar on Broadway. Looking around, I saw a guy dressed as Flaming Carrot playing pool with a guy in a Godzilla costume. Sitting at the bar, Roy Thomas was having a beer with Gardner Fox. A girl dressed in a Cutey Bunny costume was sitting next to them and listening intently to their conversation. A dude dressed as Groucho Marx (Or Lord Julius, for you Cerebus fans) was throwing darts with another guy in an Elrod costume.

Mike
(I kinda stumbled back to my hotel room thinking to myself "Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore ...") :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:24 pm 
Displays Backwards

Maybe my comment was a bit harsh. What I meant is that fandom seemed quieter, more insular, with comic books/strips less exposed to the glare of mainstream scrutiny and exploitation.

Like, say, Trek fandom in the 1970s, before the movies and spinoff television shows created a multimillion dollar industry...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:06 am 
Former King of Posts

Mike,
Did the big two have panels for the fans back then?
1982 seems to be awefully close to when the Justice League was changed from the Satellite era to the 'Detroit team'. I cannot imagine the fans of today taking that announcement without making a bunch of noise.