It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: HASBRO Makes Bid to Buy MATTEL - Report
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:18 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From Newsarama:

HASBRO Makes Bid to Buy MATTEL - Report

By George Marston, Newsarama Contributor November 10, 2017 03:26pm ET

Toymaker Hasbro has made a bid to purchase Mattel, one of its biggest competitors, according to the Wall Street Journal.

Hasbro owns the Transformers, G.I. Joe, and My Little Pony franchises, among others. Purchasing Mattel would bring Masters of the Universe, HotWheels, Barbie, and more under Hasbro's banner, including, potentially, the license for toys based on DC comics.

Hasbro recently entered the film world, founding its own studio to create films related to its toy lines.

The report comes as a similar Hollywood negotiation is taking place, with Disney in talks to buy out rival 21st Century Fox's media holdings.

Post subject: Re: HASBRO Makes Bid to Buy MATTEL - Report
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:01 am 
Mint on Card

Well with the roll that Hasbro are on with Marvel Legends, this might be great for DC figures if it happens. I know Mattel are trying to get the DCUC line back on track but Hasbro seem to know how to hit it out of the park incorporating movie and comic figures in waves, and if they can keep the DCUC aesthetic while modernising articulation then maybe we'll be in store for some new and great figures. This will be interesting to watch unfold.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:38 pm 
An Insider

Or this will lead to a near-monopoly on U.S. toys, resulting in zero need for competition, and thus lesser quality across the board.

Economics ain't for the faint of heart.

C.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:01 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Lots of moving parts in this. And there's still a long way from here to there at this point. And it's waaaaaay bigger than just the Marvel or DC license.

I'm no expert, but I somehow doubt Marvel or DC would go for both of their licenses in the hands of one company.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:41 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

If the sale were to be approved I would imagine that there would be conditions and requirements to sell off certain portions of the companies to other parties, much like the Disney/Fox plan of not including Fox's news, sports and broadcast networks or local stations in that sale. It wouldn't just be about Hasbro and Mattel becoming one, but Playskool and Fisher-Price also become one... I'm not sure that any sort of merger could be worked out.

Tommy Tomorrow wrote:
I'm no expert, but I somehow doubt Marvel or DC would go for both of their licenses in the hands of one company.

With the exception of mass-market action figures DC and Marvel have the same types of products made by the same companies: Funko, Pez, Mattel, Monogram, Lego, Jada, Fathead, Topps/Wiz Kids, Hot Toys, Bandai, Kotobukiya, Gentle Giant, Sideshow, Diamond Select, Ben Cooper, Tonner Dolls, etc. Mass-market action figures have even fallen under the same licensee before with Ideal in the 60s, Mego and Remco in the 70s and Toy Biz in the 90s. I doubt either company would complain too loudly about their action figure license being held by, what would then be, the world's largest toy company. They might not be completely happy with the situation, but without some sort of clause in the original license saying Hasbro can't do DC figures while holding the Marvel license or Mattel would have to relinquish the DC rights if sold to another entity I doubt there would be much either could do about the situation until the licenses expire.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:53 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From Yahoo Business:

Hasbro offers to buy Mattel as tech pressures the toy world

Toys 'R' Us may not be the only major casualty of technology's influence on the toy industry. Wall Street Journal sources claim that Hasbro recently made an offer to buy Mattel. It's not clear what terms Hasbro offered or how receptive Mattel was, but it would put two of the best-known kids' brands together -- My Little Pony and Hot Wheels would exist side-by-side. Neither side is commenting on the apparent leak.

Hasbro is likely taking advantage of Mattel's relative weakness. While Hasbro has been riding high on sales of Disney-themed toys (including Star Wars) as well as licenses for movies and TV, Mattel is in the midst of turning around years of failed toy lines that weighed it down. Also, the two are complementary: where Hasbro ditched its manufacturing facilities a while ago, it would get some back with a Mattel deal. There are concerns that a Hasbro/Mattel pact could violate US antitrust law by creating a dominant toy maker, but it's not certain that a union would face scrutiny as tough as for, say, a telecom.

If a deal did go ahead, it would reflect the tech industry's increasingly firm grip on kids' free time. Although Hasbro clearly has the upper hand, both it and Mattel have to compete with consoles and tablets -- how do you get parents to buy Barbie playhouses when video games beckon? It could have long-term consequences for connected toys, too. Hasbro would have a larger stable of tech-driven toys, and could fold Mattel's know-how into its own projects.

Wall Street Journal

This article originally appeared on Engadget.