Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:16 am 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

On the bright side there is still plenty of characters that would appease both animated fans and comic fans... So at least it's not either/or...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:16 am 
Santos L. Halper

Arsenio3 wrote:
jzachery wrote:
I'm one of the guys that wants as many figures released for JLU as possible, on the show or not. I have ZERO interest in DCUC, as I don't like the style of figures.

Count me as one of those guys too. I like the animated style. DCUC are nice but not for me. Maybe it's too much like a toy whereas JLU/DCAU are more like maquettes so that the design of the character can be more prominent.

I also join in the chorus of "Show First", there are still so many JLU characters that arent plastic yet that it's a shame if we dont get them all. Especially since JLU was such an awesome overview of the DCU (Viking Prince, Warlord, Weird Western Tales, Ghost Tank, Nanda Parbat) They found ways to incorporate various corners of the DCU into their story, with such reverence and respect. It would be a shame if the toys didnt continue this.

Totally agree with you guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:31 pm 
Prototype

Krypton1976 wrote:
Arsenio3 wrote:
jzachery wrote:
I'm one of the guys that wants as many figures released for JLU as possible, on the show or not. I have ZERO interest in DCUC, as I don't like the style of figures.

Count me as one of those guys too. I like the animated style. DCUC are nice but not for me. Maybe it's too much like a toy whereas JLU/DCAU are more like maquettes so that the design of the character can be more prominent.

I also join in the chorus of "Show First", there are still so many JLU characters that arent plastic yet that it's a shame if we dont get them all. Especially since JLU was such an awesome overview of the DCU (Viking Prince, Warlord, Weird Western Tales, Ghost Tank, Nanda Parbat) They found ways to incorporate various corners of the DCU into their story, with such reverence and respect. It would be a shame if the toys didnt continue this.

Totally agree with you guys.

Very well said! I agree 100%.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:57 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

cowmuf wrote:
I'm a big fan of both DC Comics and the Timm-verse, and that's why it's so great that Mattel has two (well, 5) seperate lines. If you're not a fan of the tv shows, then this line isn't really meant for you. Justice League Unlimited is my favourite toon of all time, and it makes me so happy that there's still merchandise being made for it so long after its cancellation.

It kinda irks me when people ask that the actual show the line is based on be ignored in favour of making unrelated characters. It's not like there aren't still about a hundred JLU characters they've yet to make. We haven't even gotten many of the big guns yet.

Now that DCUC is in full force, I just don't see the point of using up the few slots we have left for new JLU figures on characters unrelated to the DCAU, when there's a perfectly good comic-based line on the pegs to the left.

I love the DCAU, and I love the Bruce Timm designs and the writers and voice actors who gave these characters life. So no, I wouldn't prefer Black Adam to Vandal Savage or Toyman.

And the fact that Toyman is "creepy" is kinda a good thing, don't you think? I mean, he is a villain. Unless you just don't like Timm's designs, in which case what exactly is the appeal of this line for you?

Anyway, I say bring on Warhawk and Terry and Aquagirl and Chucko and the Dee Dees and Atomic Skull and Galatea and Livewire and Toyman! I want them all.

Would you really ask that they release the comic-version of Toyman instead? That's just being a hater. :x It really does sound like DCUC is perfect for you, and it would make a lot more sense for you to collect that line rather than wish the JLU line were something it isn't.
Seconded. I want the figures from JLU and the DCAU shows to come first. I have no interest in the comics and while I suppose Timmverse styled comic book characters might LOOK neat I have no need to have them in my collection. I want the figures that appeared on the shows.

In an ideal world they'll do both but if they are going to give priority to either DCAU figures from the actual shows or comic based figures I want the former. Comic book junkies already will have a HUGE line to devour in DC Universe Classics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:46 pm 

That's why I said that the JLU line should be the flagship line so everyone will be happy. Those of us that want comic characters too will be happy, as we've basically all said, we like the JLU stlye of character and have no interest in DCUC. Not to mention I have less than zero interest in starting another line from scratch. They should put a bulk of their attention into this and make everyone.

As I also said before, for those that were fans of the Super Powers line, about half of those characters never made the TV show but the line was much richer for it, as it's still being talked about today and a standard that JLU has been trying to live up to.

DCUC may be cool to have, but JLU and DCA stuff is the main stuff, and what better way to take the adventures you saw on TV further than have new characters for your collections?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:55 am 
Factory Worker

i would rather have 90% Timm's DCAU and maybe 10% other

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:46 pm 
Prototype

Azrael24 wrote:
i would rather have 90% Timm's DCAU and maybe 10% other

Yeah, that sounds good to me. I would love that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:41 pm 
Former King of Posts

Fone Bone wrote:
cowmuf wrote:
It kinda irks me when people ask that the actual show the line is based on be ignored in favour of making unrelated characters.
Seconded. I want the figures from JLU and the DCAU shows to come first. I have no interest in the comics and while I suppose Timmverse styled comic book characters might LOOK neat I have no need to have them in my collection. I want the figures that appeared on the shows.

What about those of us who are fans of the show and characters who seem slighted becuase they were not on the show?

Plastic Man - mentioned by name but never seen
Blue Beetle - who was not allowed on the show due to a contract from an old radio show
Firestorm - who the story is that DC said "no" to his being on the show

Almost every member of the Justice League from several eras plus the Justice Society and the Seven Soldiers of Victory and even folks who were never on any of those teams are in the JLU. If you add these 3 characters, you come very close to completing several eras of the comic Justice League. I won't argue for Guy Gardner while we don't have Hal, but I will push for the inclusion of those who I feel were 'obviously missing' from the show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:14 pm 
Brand Manager

superfriend wrote:
Fone Bone wrote:
cowmuf wrote:
It kinda irks me when people ask that the actual show the line is based on be ignored in favour of making unrelated characters.

What about those of us who are fans of the show and characters who seem slighted becuase they were not on the show?

Plastic Man - mentioned by name but never seen
Blue Beetle - who was not allowed on the show due to a contract from an old radio show
Firestorm - who the story is that DC said "no" to his being on the show

Almost every member of the Justice League from several eras plus the Justice Society and the Seven Soldiers of Victory and even folks who were never on any of those teams are in the JLU. If you add these 3 characters, you come very close to completing several eras of the comic Justice League. I won't argue for Guy Gardner while we don't have Hal, but I will push for the inclusion of those who I feel were 'obviously missing' from the show.

Don't forget that Plastic Man was not seen, but he's officially part of the team. He was fighting Mordru with other League members in "The Greatest Histoty Never Told" episode.

Firestorm and Blue Bettle appeared in the JLU comics anyway :wink:

I agree that te line should be 90% Timm's DCAU and 10% other :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:14 am 
My heart is of low-durometer PVC

I find the whole "appeared on show/didn't appear on show" debate to be rather weird. Even despite my major OCD, I can't get up in arms about them not finishing every character from show. There are too many major DC characters that DIDN'T appear on the show that I'd like to have in this style, too. Do I need a Crimson Fox before a Firestorm gets made? I can't even consider that a question seriously. Of course Firestorm!

Any DC character, regardless of whether they appeared on the cartoon, JLU comic, or neither at all, would be welcomed by me. But if it's a matter of doing the minor characters from the cartoon vs. the major ones left out of it, give me the ones they left out.

Davy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:45 am 

I agree 100%!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:48 am 
categorically opposed

jzachery wrote:
That's why I said that the JLU line should be the flagship line so everyone will be happy. Those of us that want comic characters too will be happy, as we've basically all said, we like the JLU stlye of character and have no interest in DCUC. Not to mention I have less than zero interest in starting another line from scratch. They should put a bulk of their attention into this and make everyone.

I totally disagree.

To me, a flagship line should represent what the characters look like in the comics. A flagship line should have sculpted details and look realistic.

JLU is not a flagship line. It's a budget, bargain line. In my opinion, though I love it, it's almost like a novelty line, in the same vein as the Super Hero Squad figures from Hasbro.

It makes for a great off-shoot of the flagship line, but I don't think it could ever be considered a definitive DC line.

So yeah...not "everyone" will be happy with your solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:08 am 

Nothing else produced passes as a flagship line by my standards, they may be somewhat 'budget' but they aren't huge and uber articulated. In my world, it's the flagship line. Second only to Super Powers for the time being.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:32 am 
categorically opposed

jzachery wrote:
Nothing else produced passes as a flagship line by my standards, they may be somewhat 'budget' but they aren't huge and uber articulated. In my world, it's the flagship line. Second only to Super Powers for the time being.

Well, that's your world.

Flagship generally means the chief or lead of a related group. Take a random, impartial person, show them the JLU Batman next to the DCUC Batman, and ask them which one they think is the "leader."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:35 am 

Bottom line is JLU has produced and continues to produce the most characters, the most obscure characters and is the most discussed amongst fans. That's my take.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next