Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: How often do you guys look for JLU?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:42 am 
shirtless hugger

Serious question, how often do you guys go out hunting for JLU? I try to limit myself to once a week, at Target, usually Tuesday or Thursday after work around 6:15 before i go to the gym. My problem is, I feel like i always just miss the new figures.

Also, what time of day do you guys usually go? I would love to go in the morning but it's almost impossible with my commute. Do you guys find that there is more new figs first thing in the morning? Or any special day of the week?

Many of you buy your figs online to avoid this problem i know, but i just can't bare to order figures without seeing the paint jobs first. As you know, the JLU line has some pretty messed up painted jobs now and then.

Anyway, i'm in serious need of a change in my hunting schedule if i'm ever going to find Mr. Miracle or Fire and Ice. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

- Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:43 am 
Prototype

Once, sometimes twice a week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:54 am 
shirtless hugger

riddler2403 wrote:
Once, sometimes twice a week.

But do you find that successful though? I don't seem to have any success only going once (sometimes twice) a week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:12 am 
BANNED

I do not live in the States, the country where I live is third world so we are getting Mattel toys of 15 years ago, never the newest!!! so I only buy online and I look for new Jlu almost dayly :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:15 am 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

3-5 times per week... It's on the way home from the gym. During the Grodd holidays I went daily until I found him. But seriously, you literally have to check daily, if you miss the one day the figure actually makes it to the shelf YOU WILL NEVER SEE IT AGAIN!

I saw Black Canary once (the real one, not the hooker)
Missed Booster Gold single
Missed Hawkman
Missed Barda/Deadshot
Missed Blue Devil (had to get on ebay)
Missed Star Sapphire/Sand (had to get on ebay)
Missed Volcana (waiting impatiently for BBTS)
Never saw Miracle (got on ebay)
Saw Huntress single and Shade once
Saw Grodd once
Saw Stargirl and Parasite once

YOU WILL NEVER SEE THEM AGAIN!!!! :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:17 am 
my tummy itches

I have a Target on the way to work so it makes it easy for me to do frequent stops in one week. Hitting other Targets or the other chains is less often. Maybe once a week or sometimes only once every other week.
Out of everything I collect, it's only JLU that makes me search so frequently because it seems like if I don't, I never find the stuff. With Fire and Ice being out now, I'll admit it, I've been going daily M-F to the Target on the way to work. Once I find them, I'll basically stop going to this local Target entirely until the next new JLU item is out. The only exception is if I need extras for other collectors who have asked me to keep a look out, if so, I'll keep hitting Target in the morning. If I didn't have one that was on the direct path to work, I would not be going every day. Probably only once a week then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:34 am 
Grickle Grass Grower

When new stuff is out I tend to go 2 or 3 times a week. Plus I get the word out to friends and family to keep an eye out (and my fellow NYC collectors look out for me). I tend to go after work (around 4 or 5pm) before the real afterwork crush started. But it's rarely enough--the only time this strategy has worked is when Barda and Star Sapphire came out. I was actually lucky enough to snag them the same day they were reported on these forums.

I also check ebay obsessively hoping that I get lucky (luckier than the rest of you punks! :lol: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:41 am 
Knows his stuff

I live in an area with several Targets, including just five minutes down the road from one of them. I usually visit it on my way home from work 3-5 times a week, and hit other ones in my travels about 2-3 times a week. However, I've had very little luck finding new JLU, and been forced to rely on the kindness of strangers.

I remember it well. In March '07, that was the first and only time I've ever found the Shade and Huntress singles, and the first time I saw the Nemesis/Lightray/Amazo 3-pack (although I've seen that one a few times since). In June '07, I got amazingly lucky and found the Sand/Star Sapphire, Obsidian/Vigilante, and Deadshot/Barda 3-packs all at once, at a Super Target. Interestingly enough, I found them both in the early afternoon, so they must have recently opened new cases. Neither of those were at my usual, close Target. I've NEVER found new JLU at that one.

Other than that, I've had no luck at all finding JLU for myself in the last year. I've seen Blue Devil once, about a week before Christmas, but left it because an online acquaintance had hooked me up previously, and I have yet to see Mister Miracle (who Bryan Long hooked me up with) or Fire and Ice.

I should note that I picked up several Doomsday 6-packs for other people, but skipped that one for myself. I also picked up the Grodd set for someone else, but didn't want my own. I only saw Grodd twice ever, both in the two weeks before Christmas, and not since.

I have yet to see DCUC anywhere, but I've had decent luck eventually finding DCSH and picking them up for other folks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:46 am 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

I was mentioning to my friend that collects too... It's annoying that we have to go to Target that often or whatever, if Fire and Ice come out, we should just be able to go pick them up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:58 am 
Knows his stuff

I've been so desperate to find them that I posted a general bulletin on Myspace to my real-life friends, asking them to look for Miracle and Fire/Ice for me if they happen to be at or near any Targets. I'd say 99% of them aren't toy collectors, and probably about half of them didn't know I was, until reading my bulletin.

One sweet girl I know replied to me: "Why don't you just order them directly from Target's website, or from the toy company's website, instead of going to all this trouble?" Obviously she doesn't know how our hobby works more often than not, but why CAN'T we just order them, like we would a shirt or a blanket or a DVD or a refrigerator? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:03 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

Well I stop almost every day-- but thats because I am also looking for Star Wars ,or G.I. Joe, or Superhero Squad or etc....

The only time recently I went out just to try and find JLU was when the Hawkman cases were first hitting-- woke up early on a Sunday morning and went down the stretch of highway were there are 4 targets-- got lucky on the last one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:21 pm 
proverbial old fart

I usually hit the two Tulsa Target and TRU stores twice a week and the Target in Owasso about once a week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:43 pm 
Killer Mothman

I used to go 2-3 times a week. I'm trying to cut back. Gas is just too expensive.

You need to go at the store opening - anything past 9am is too late.

You should go on a Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Saturday - they never seem to restock on any other day.

Also you'll have better luck finding figures after the 15th of the month.

I won't tell you about the other "superstitions" I have about finding figures - you'll just think I'm crazy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:47 pm 
shirtless hugger

I usually go hunting once or twice a week. However, that frequency increases if new items have been sighted in my state. I've been known to hit Target daily until I found something new, but only at stores whose inventory's low and are likely to get another shipment.

Target is usually good at getting stuff across the country pretty quickly, so I started hitting it daily once Fire and Ice were found. I have two Targets in my immediate area; one had two JLU 3-packs and the other had four. I concentrated on the store that had two, as I assumed they would get replenishment first. I was right, and I found Fire and Ice within a week of their first sighting. I went to the other store later that day, and they had not received any more stock, and still had only four 3-packs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:49 pm 
Collector Inspector

Way too often. When new stuff comes out I keep looking until I find it and often keep looking to see if I can find it for my fellow collectors who are in need, even after I find for myself.