Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:34 am 
requestor of thick tufts of chest hair

Have you polled most people? I tried calling, but I couldn't get hold of them.

I don't want Luthor in the suit. I agree that he's boring that way.

My vote is for the purple and green jumpsuit, a la the DCD 13" figure, a la his appearance on Super Friends as leader of the original Legion of Doom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:44 am 
3 3/4"

Im sorry I said anything now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:57 am 
3 3/4"

DragonsKeep wrote:

theres no need to be so smart about it-I was only trying to p[oint out he would be a popular choice-and I am going on polls in other forums when I cited that.

maybe most people was an overstatement-so no I havent "Polled" them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:55 am 
shirtless hugger

DragonsKeep wrote:

I don't want Luthor in the suit. I agree that he's boring that way.

My vote is for the purple and green jumpsuit, a la the DCD 13" figure, a la his appearance on Super Friends as leader of the original Legion of Doom.

Do we really need to hold a poll on whether or not most folks would buy a Luthor in a suit? I'm guessing that JokerFC is right, a majority would like to buy the figure. I don't think that everyone falls into the group that thinks that guys in suits are boring. I mean, look at Question. He's popular and he wears a suit.

Anyway, Luthor in a suit would be a good variant. We've already got a super-villain style Luthor, now I want one who looks like President Luthor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:49 am 
serves the Otter

Luthor in a suit has been one of the most popular figures in other lines, so obviously he's the top choice. There's no need to poll, it's common knowledge. Especially considering how few Luthors in suits we've gotten. People want Luthor in a suit, since that what he wear 99% of the time. But toy execs don't put him in a suit because they don't think little kids like that. Even though little kids aren't buying these figures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:05 pm 
Kool Moe Dee

Being a popular DCD figure still means it would still sell less than the worst selling DCUC figure. Kids would love to get these figures but you are right, no kid wants a dude in a suit.

VC9k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:19 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

>>But toy execs don't put him in a suit because they don't think little kids like that. Even though little kids aren't buying these figures.<<

:shock:

Mike
(Uh ... okay ... )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:32 pm 
categorically opposed

Maniac Joker wrote:
Even though little kids aren't buying these figures.

Seriously?

You think Mattel is putting money into this line just for the collector? I admit that the line has a great appeal to collectors, but to say that "little kids aren't buying these figures" is a bit presumptuous.

In a few months, if the line gets canceled because Mattel isn't making enough money on it, then we can say that little kids weren't buying these figures - because the line will not sustain itself through collectors alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:02 pm 
Killer Mothman

I still want a Luthor in his green n' purple jumpsuit - other than the Superfriends and clear-plastic Justice version, of course.

Maybe next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:06 pm 
Knows his stuff

Maniac Joker wrote:

umm, are you stupid. about a year ago, i saw a little kid taking steel, supergirl, and a spider-man figure off a wal*mart shelf, and his mom put it in her cart. as pissed as i was about me not being able to get them, i didnt have much money at the time, and was kinda glad at least he got to enjoy them.

and super friends was made for kids, but collectors seem to like them, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:44 am 
serves the Otter

Nah, I'm right. But hey keep thinking that craziness.

This is a collector's line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:45 am 
serves the Otter

MoMoney wrote:
Maniac Joker wrote:

Seriously?

You think Mattel is putting money into this line just for the collector? I admit that the line has a great appeal to collectors, but to say that "little kids aren't buying these figures" is a bit presumptuous.

In a few months, if the line gets canceled because Mattel isn't making enough money on it, then we can say that little kids weren't buying these figures - because the line will not sustain itself through collectors alone.

Wait, what figures are you guys talking about? Again, I'm not talking about those stupid Superfriends figures. I'm talking about the DC Classics line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:34 am 
Loose, Missing Package

I'm sure that if the line keeps going for the planned five years that we'll get Luthor in *both* the purple/green get-up and a suit. Maybe not as singles, but in multi-packs or exclusives. Both looks are fairly iconic and I'm sure that they'll both make the cut, just not necessarily anytime in the next year or two... You guys want to talk boring, I just hope they don't make him in the prison grays he was known for wearing in the 60s and 70s...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:45 am 
3 3/4"

yeah I dont want to see Luthor for a while-we have a great version of him from DCSh so that will do me-bring on the villians we havent got

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:03 am 
categorically opposed

Maniac Joker wrote:
MoMoney wrote:
Maniac Joker wrote:

Seriously?

Wait, what figures are you guys talking about? Again, I'm not talking about those stupid Superfriends figures. I'm talking about the DC Classics line.

So am I, which makes your assertion that much more puzzling. The Superfriends figures are marketed toward kids and happen to have collectors buying them, as well. DC Univere Classics may appear to be directed to a more adult audience, but the fact of the matter is that they are toys - so it's pretty important to Mattel's bottom line kids, who are the primary targets of mass-market toys, buy into the line.

We don't know if kids are buying the line yet because the line just hit the shelves. Mattel is doing the line in the hopes that kids will buy it because it will not be worth its cost to just be purchased by the (tiny) collector community.

As I said, if kids aren't buying the line, we'll know by its cancellation.

If, in about three to four months, the line is thriving, it'll be kind of ridiculous to say that kids aren't buying DC Universe Classics. The collector community wouldn't be able to keep the line afloat by itself.