Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Latest news on DCUC from Mattel
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:00 pm 
Mattel Mogul

Hey gang,

Okay, so I know that Mattel has been a bit absent from the boards lately. To confess, it has entirely been because the whole DC Collector team is hard at work cranking out the best product we can create. And from what we’ve been reading on this website and others you guys are really digging the first batch of figures!

And now that WAVE 1 of the DC Universe Classics figures have hit the shelves, I wanted to update everyone about a few changes on the line.

First off, there has been some concern about the variants for Wave 1. In our efforts to get WAVE 2 out as quickly as possible we had to break a few eggs. One of those wound up being the WAVE 1 variants.

Never fear! We do plan to get these out as soon as possible, but they have not started shipping yet and Mattel will be sure to announce on the boards when they do start shipping to avoid any confusion.

Second, there are a few changes to WAVE 2. Because there was so much demand for both versions of Firestorm, he has been changed from a variant to a running change.

The first half of the WAVE 2 production will be Ronnie, the second half will be Jason. Superman Red/Blue will continue to ship 50/50 throughout the run, and the Aquaman variant will continue to be a chase figure.

WAVE 3 is not changing and will still contain chase versions of Sinestro in his corps uniform and Deathstroke revealed to be Slade Wilson. (about time we stick to our original plan!)

As for the future of the line, it is all in your hands! But I can tell you everyone at Mattel is really excited and proud of the way the line is flying off the shelves! We love hearing your reviews and wish lists and want to continue to work with the fans to make this the greatest DC toy line ever!

Personally I will do my best to participate even more on the boards this coming year. Look for an exciting announcement about the JLU line in the next issue of Toy Fare magazine. After that it is NY Toy Fair where we will have some really great new lines to reveal for the fall of 2008 as well as toys from our upcoming movie properties like Batman the Dark Knight, Speed Racer and Kung Fu Panda. From there we’ll be at NY Comic Con in April and Wizard World Chicago in June to reveal the new waves of DCUC and offer some really cool redeco exclusives.

And of course we will be at the big show, Comic Con San Diego in July with what I think are some of the coolest most fan demanded exclusives ever. I can’t imagine there will be a single disappointed fan when you see what we have in store. (we hope to reveal the exclusives at NY CC in April FYI).

So let us continue to know what you think of the lines and what figures you are looking for and would like to see. Together we will make 2008 the year of the Mattel Action Figure Collector!

-Toy Guru

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:05 pm 
categorically opposed

Hey, TG!

Great to see you back on the boards! Just wanted to tell you, first of all, how great the DCUC line is, and I can't wait to see where the line is headed after the first three waves. Wonder Woman, the Flash, Green Arrow, and company are highly anticipated, and if the beginning of the line is any indication, they will not disappoint.

You mentioned that you were trying to get wave two out as quickly as possible...how quickly is that? Do you have an ETA on it?

Thanks again for everything!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:07 pm 
Collector Inspector

SOunds cool. I'll be getting that classic firestorm for sure.

And I can't wait to see the big JLU news!

Welcome back TG!

Post subject: Re: Latest news on DCUC from Mattel
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:34 pm 
Knows his stuff

ToyGuru wrote:
I can’t imagine there will be a single disappointed fan when you see what we have in store.

I bet I will be, since I don't go to the convention. I paid $30 for the Shayera 3-pack this year. That was a little disappointing.

But not to be completely negative. Thanks for the news, and I for one am glad to hear the news about Ron Raymond. I hope I can find him, and the variant Sinestro. I'm just a little concerned since I've only seen one DCUC figure on the pegs thus far. It was Batman, and of course I bought him!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:39 pm 
shirtless hugger

Thanks for the info TG! It's good to hear that I'll be able to get my hands on both versions of Firestorm with ease.

Just wondering, for anyone who knows, is the Aquaman variant a seperate character? I only collect seperate characters, with a few exceptions (Sinestro Corps).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:41 pm 
categorically opposed

Arrakhat wrote:
Thanks for the info TG! It's good to hear that I'll be able to get my hands on both versions of Firestorm with ease.

Just wondering, for anyone who knows, is the Aquaman variant a seperate character? I only collect seperate characters, with a few exceptions (Sinestro Corps).

Yeah, it's not Orin. I'm not sure of the entire story, but the original Aquaman is now "the Dweller of the Depths" or something, and the new Aquaman is essentially the Golden Age backstory of Aquaman.

So yeah, separate character.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:19 pm 
Knows his stuff

thanx guru! i can't wait to hear more news about DCUC!

uhh, are they shipping to wal*mart?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:45 pm 
MINT!

Thanks for the news on Ronnie! I've been wanting to pre-order a case of wave 2 online, but didn't want to until I heard when Ronnie would be shipping. Time to place that order now :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:47 pm 
serves the Otter

Those are wonderful bits of news TG. Thanks for tellin us

Post subject: Re: Latest news on DCUC from Mattel
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:01 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

ToyGuru wrote:
Look for an exciting announcement about the JLU line in the next issue of Toy Fare magazine.

Thanks soooooo much for the heads-up on this. The JLU line is continuing, and the character expansion will be (at least partially, if not totally) revealed in ToyFare magazine. Thanks again for the big hint, and for posting it here. It's a relief.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:05 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

Hey TG,

I'm a die-hard Marvel fan, and I just wanted to say that FIRESTORM IS THE BUSINESS!!! Between Hal, Slade and even Ronnie, I'm totally jazzed about what you got cooking! Now if there was someway for the thigh articulation to provide functionality without disrupting the sculpt... You'd be getting more of my consumer blood? (aka $$$)

Last edited by Ares-god_of_war on Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:51 pm 
Ferret Farmer

Thanks TG.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:41 pm 
Santos L. Halper

Always good to hear from you TG!

Cannot wait to see the ToyFare JLU news...

You said you would reveal upcoming DCUC waves at Chicago as well as some redecos...does that mean you are showing everything and not holding anything back for SDCC? I truly hope not, SDCC is a much better show to reveal your products...and by redecos, do you mean Con exclusives or redecos that you are releasing to stores in some format?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:49 pm 
Santos L. Halper

Sorry, one more question...

You mention offering redeco exclusives in Chicago and the most demanded exclusives at SDCC...so, does that mean that the two cons will have entirely different exclusives???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:15 am 
5" Scale

Cool, thank you for the update, TG!

Quick question, just so I'm clear...Classic Aquaman is the default figure in wave 2, and modern Aquaman is the chase? Or is it the other way around?