Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5791 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 381, 382, 383, 384, 385, 386, 387  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The DC Universe Infinite Heroes Thread
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:30 am 
Still ahead of Mudd
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 6341
Location: Shelbyville, KY
No-- Mattel is the one that shot themselves completely in the foot on these and caused the line to fail..

Initially it was the price-- they were almost the most (if not the most) expensive toys in that scale in the toy aisle- the articulation (plus the generic packaging)-- really made collectors not feel they were getting the bang for their buck..

Then there was the horrible assortments- having singles, 2 packs, 3 packs and multipacks-- (all including Black hand and Guy Gardner at the same time was stupid..)

Not getting any big guns out until the later waves..

The 3 pack model of changing only one character making you buy the same pack essentially twice to get the second character-- which in theory could have been fine-- if they did it with the army builder characters and not individual characters (at least they could have given them variant paint jobs)

Especially since they weren't above variant paint jobs- giving us great figures like-- the translucent Green Guy Gardner again--

Still haven't learned that when selling figures to collectors --- that the women characters sell (especially the Bat Women) -- its shameful that Batgirl, Ivy and Harley were all planned-- but never made it past the prototype stage until year 3 of the collection... Could have made this line 10x better if they got that last wave out.

_________________
Fastest know derailer of threads in the know universe...expanded or otherwise.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The DC Universe Infinite Heroes Thread
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:43 pm 
MINT!
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:27 pm
Posts: 148
That's a good point about the singles/2-packs/3-packs. I did forget about that whole issue.

I agree that they needed big guns to get the line going from a commercial standpoint and yet from a fanboy standpoint I liked that they tried to go with 2nd tier characters.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The DC Universe Infinite Heroes Thread
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:51 pm 
User avatar
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:16 pm
Posts: 4747
Location: Pasadena, Texas
I think the excusplanation for that at the time was that the big guns were being released in JLU and they did not want to double up. Problem I see with that is the big guns were always being released in JLU.

CCC.

_________________
The expediency of acquired knowledge is preponderant upon determining a justifiable conclusion, unattainable at this time.

Museum Super Collector.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The DC Universe Infinite Heroes Thread
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:59 pm 
User avatar
An Insider
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1029
Location: Ocean County, NJ
stewbacca wrote:
No-- Mattel is the one that shot themselves completely in the foot on these and caused the line to fail..

Initially it was the price-- they were almost the most (if not the most) expensive toys in that scale in the toy aisle- the articulation (plus the generic packaging)-- really made collectors not feel they were getting the bang for their buck..

To me this describes YOUNG JUSTICE pricing at launch. When DCIH launched the price of a 3-pack was $9.99 which was a pretty good deal. Then some stores marked them up to $15.99 and $17.99. Some stores sold them for $12.99 which still seemed kind of reasonable compared to the higher priced stores.

stewbacca wrote:
Then there was the horrible assortments- having singles, 2 packs, 3 packs and multipacks-- (all including Black hand and Guy Gardner at the same time was stupid..)

Mattel totally fumbled on DCIH Wave 1 by releasing only 4 figures in the first case assortment and not having the full Wave 1 figures ready for release. Toys R Us got burned badly by this and it was several assortments later before they decided to carry single figures again. Toys R Us did managed to get the first exclusive sets in 2008.

stewbacca wrote:
Not getting any big guns out until the later waves..

The 3 pack model of changing only one character making you buy the same pack essentially twice to get the second character-- which in theory could have been fine-- if they did it with the army builder characters and not individual characters (at least they could have given them variant paint jobs)

Especially since they weren't above variant paint jobs- giving us great figures like-- the translucent Green Guy Gardner again--

The big guns started appearing in the 4th month of the launch.
The main push on the 3-packs was in the 2nd half of 2008. However after the retailers raised their prices on them, they would not sell. Many stores were stuck with unsold sets from early waves and did not rotate out stock unless they clearances out the old sets. Good for Target but not Toys R Us. New 3-packs did not show up again until 2010.

stewbacca wrote:
Still haven't learned that when selling figures to collectors --- that the women characters sell (especially the Bat Women) -- its shameful that Batgirl, Ivy and Harley were all planned-- but never made it past the prototype stage until year 3 of the collection... Could have made this line 10x better if they got that last wave out.

Yes, it was a shame that they never got out that last wave of figures. But Mattel dropped the line in order to make the Green Lantern movie figures.

There was a point in time during this line that Mattel went back and redesigned some of the body parts for DCIH. I only wish that they would have copied the hip articulation from DCUC into DCIH for the male and female characters. That might have helped make these figures better.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The DC Universe Infinite Heroes Thread
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:38 am 
User avatar
Collector Inspector
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:05 pm
Posts: 1348
Location: The Midwest of America
It always bothers me when people slam Infinite Heroes and they are clearly focusing on that strange and uninspired first wave of figures. What were they again?...Black Adam, Guy Gardner, Zoom, Shazam I think? Adam Strange and Hush were pretty early too.

There were some fantastic figures in the final year, it needs to be continually repeated. And, the unreleased figures looked fantastic. The Barry Allen in the Starro set was quite nice and the Aquaman had a great sculpt, but an lackluster paint job.

Certain waves were ordered REALLY heavy , so distribution was really patchy and unreliable, and certain products weren't getting through the distro system. I saw the Marvel family 3-pack at one single Walmart but no other Walmarts, ever, ever again. I'm almost certain the Doomsday pack never even came to our state through regular retail channels, until a year or two later after they found buyers for the pack, like Gordman's. I couldn't tell if Targets were uncommitted to the line or if pegwarmers were keeping new waves from coming in. The Firestorm/Blue Beetle/Mary Batson. M. Manhunter/Red Arrow assortment was kinda hard to get.

I'm culling my collection, and it's really hard deciding what to let go of because I love this line. But I think I'll love them more if I have a more stripped-down and leaner collection. I'm keeping my favorites but also a lot of characters that never got a DCU Classic figure. Or just characters I don't own DCUC figures of. Like, I own the DC Subscription Jay Garrick figure, and it's gorgeous, so why do I need the DCIH figure?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The DC Universe Infinite Heroes Thread
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:42 am 
User avatar
Collector Inspector
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:05 pm
Posts: 1348
Location: The Midwest of America
Also, Question:

The 80's Supergirl Crisis figure had a carded version with Superman printed on the card holding her body. Was that carded version only available on Matty Collector, or was that also available at retail? And by retail , I mean Target, not Marshal's, in this case.

Here's what I'm talking about:

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/toy-archive/action-figure/mattels-infinite-heroes-crisis-4-pack-supergirl/

I ask, because I swear I remember, years back, finding that Supergirl at Target. I don't think she was Battle Damaged, but Superman was indeed printed on the card. I didn't buy it and I REALLY regretted it later on. I do own the regular Crisis Supergirl on the card . It's my last and only MOC figure. I'm just wondering if anyone else saw the Superman/Supergirl card at retail? Was that an official variant? I never knew what was up with that.

And...so...was there 3 single-carded versions of that figure? Plain; Plain with Superman; and Battle-damaged with Superman?

I know that eventually the Mattycollector figures, much later, showed up at Tuesday Morning (and I'm pretty sad that I couldn't find them) . But I found the Supergirl/Superman card at Target years before that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The DC Universe Infinite Heroes Thread
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:04 am 
User avatar
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 8749
Location: Rochester, NY
As far as I recall, the supergirl figure was only offered as part of the Mattycollector set and it is still the only figure I have from the series that has remained MOC because of the way it was packaged.

If you saw one at Target, there is a good chance it was a returned item that someone had swapped the figure out of and got their money back on.

_________________
#AdultsCollect


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The DC Universe Infinite Heroes Thread
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:39 am 
User avatar
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:16 pm
Posts: 4747
Location: Pasadena, Texas
As I recall, there were 4 Matty exclusives: that Supergirl, dead Flash, masked Psycho Pirate, and Antimonitor, and you had to have the points from the back of the cards for him. I liked the point idea, going back to the UPC mail in deals. I remember getting the GIJoe medic guy from a cereal box offer that way.

CCC.

_________________
The expediency of acquired knowledge is preponderant upon determining a justifiable conclusion, unattainable at this time.

Museum Super Collector.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The DC Universe Infinite Heroes Thread
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:32 am 
User avatar
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 8749
Location: Rochester, NY
The Antimonitor was the "points" fiasco. They had to be redeemed at SDCC or you had to wait for the figure to eventually hit Mattycollector and buy him which made all that point collecting non-sense pointless.

The 4 figures from Matty were, 80's Supergirl, Psycho Pirate, Dead/dying Flash, and the Monitor.

_________________
#AdultsCollect


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The DC Universe Infinite Heroes Thread
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:12 am 
User avatar
An Insider
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1029
Location: Ocean County, NJ
bnjmnrlyr wrote:
The Antimonitor was the "points" fiasco. They had to be redeemed at SDCC or you had to wait for the figure to eventually hit Mattycollector and buy him which made all that point collecting non-sense pointless.

The 4 figures from Matty were, 80's Supergirl, Psycho Pirate, Dead/dying Flash, and the Monitor.

Actually the points were for the 30" Anti-Monitor raffle in which 8 were won by fans.
The smaller 4" Anti-Monitor was the SDCC and Matty Exclusive and had nothing to do with collecting points.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The DC Universe Infinite Heroes Thread
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:42 am 
User avatar
Collector Inspector
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:53 am
Posts: 1353
Man, I still wish I had one of those 30" Anti-Monitors.

_________________
WHERE are my classic Freedom Fighter action figures?!? Uncle Sam, The Ray, Black Condor, The Human Bomb, Phantom Lady, Doll Man and Firebrand!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The DC Universe Infinite Heroes Thread
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:04 am 
User avatar
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 8749
Location: Rochester, NY
Nope, I remember this very clearly.

You could get an Antimonitor for "free" if you turned in 20points IN PERSON at SDCC. I asked again and again for a mail in option and was constantly shut down because of "logistics".

You could also submit points towards the raffle for the 30" hand painted Jumbo Anti Monitor figures (of which the first was won by our very own Julius Marx!). I think it was something along the lines of "100pts is 1 entry" but I could be mistaken about that. This raffle was also the centerpiece and primary reason for point collecting... something that by its very nature shut out the majority of people who bought into the line and adding yet one more sour taste in collector's mouths for this line.

I sent all my points over to a fellow board member who was attending SDCC that year and he got me my Antimonitor figure for "free" that way (I DID pay for shipping which I would've expected if the figure had been done as a mail away offer ala the 80's).

I hate to say it, but that whole situation caused me to bash Mattel daily for any and every little inconsequential thing because of how awkwardly it was set up and handled.

Since then, meh, I've come to see them as any other major corporation, where the left hand has absolutely no idea what the right is doing and they are happy with their own ignorance.

_________________
#AdultsCollect


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The DC Universe Infinite Heroes Thread
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:30 am 
User avatar
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:16 pm
Posts: 4747
Location: Pasadena, Texas
I was at Walmart the other day and Mattel rep was doing demos. I ask her when they were going to start doing good action figures in the true 3 3/4" scale. Her practiced response was "I don't work for Walmart." I said I know pointing at the logo on her shirt, and then gave her a message for Scott. :twisted:

CCC.

_________________
The expediency of acquired knowledge is preponderant upon determining a justifiable conclusion, unattainable at this time.

Museum Super Collector.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The DC Universe Infinite Heroes Thread
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:41 am 
MINT!
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:27 pm
Posts: 148
I didn't know I could have gotten the smaller AntiMonitor for free. I would have brought my points then. I just bought it for $10 at the time.

IIRC most of the 30" Antimonitors were won buy one guy that bought other people's points and submitted them. I think they ended up on ebay for like $1000+


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The DC Universe Infinite Heroes Thread
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:17 pm 
User avatar
An Insider
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1029
Location: Ocean County, NJ
bnjmnrlyr wrote:
Nope, I remember this very clearly.

You could get an Antimonitor for "free" if you turned in 20points IN PERSON at SDCC. I asked again and again for a mail in option and was constantly shut down because of "logistics".

You could also submit points towards the raffle for the 30" hand painted Jumbo Anti Monitor figures (of which the first was won by our very own Julius Marx!). I think it was something along the lines of "100pts is 1 entry" but I could be mistaken about that. This raffle was also the centerpiece and primary reason for point collecting... something that by its very nature shut out the majority of people who bought into the line and adding yet one more sour taste in collector's mouths for this line.

I sent all my points over to a fellow board member who was attending SDCC that year and he got me my Antimonitor figure for "free" that way (I DID pay for shipping which I would've expected if the figure had been done as a mail away offer ala the 80's).

I hate to say it, but that whole situation caused me to bash Mattel daily for any and every little inconsequential thing because of how awkwardly it was set up and handled.

Since then, meh, I've come to see them as any other major corporation, where the left hand has absolutely no idea what the right is doing and they are happy with their own ignorance.


Ah Yes, you are correct. I had given my points to my friend to pick up my AntiMonitors at SDCC.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5791 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 381, 382, 383, 384, 385, 386, 387  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron