Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5791 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 383, 384, 385, 386, 387  Next
 Post subject: Re: The DC Universe Infinite Heroes Thread
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:53 am 
Collector Inspector

Well said, and you know me, I'm always of praise and criticism. Even when It's clear that a toyline is not for me, as a collector, I will admit when it is working. Such as Total Heroes-- For me: no. bad idea. But for the general public? Yes, they will do just fine. I come down really hard on a toyline if distribution is a disaster, though. Such as Young Justice. The toys? Eh, pretty good. not bad. But executed fully at retail with the distribution? :evil: :evil: :evil: HATEHATEHATE :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Nothing gets me to turn on a toyline quicker than poor, and especially, unequal distribution. Sometimes it's the company's fault. Most of the time, I blame retail and not Scott Neitlich. Total Heroes are okay. But I've HARDLY seen them anywhere, so I'm not going to give them any praise yet.

I believe Scott Toy Guru gets blamed for things he doesn't deserve blame for, but at the same time, doesn't get called out for things he's responsible for. Toylines under his watch. He ultimately "inherited" DCIH, but I always hated the bragging and crowing about selling so much Green Lantern to retail when it was a lot of junk and a lot of first wave product, creating a glut and ultimately created a repulsion at retail for any future Green Lantern product. And I really dislike the infinite variations of "You had your chance to support this product, and you didn't create an instantaneous sell-out, so no, we're done."

Hotwheels must be a big thing because I never go toy-hunting anymore, but if I do, 80% of the time I see some adults thumbing through cars. The percentage of people poking through action figures is not even close, from my eyes.

Though, I wonder about kids these days. I just don't know. A week ago , I was in the aisle and two little dudes came by and they were discussing the 4 inch Multiverse characters like they were collectors! and to the Black series they were like, "ah nice, they have the Leia. I already have that one. And Greedo is EVERYWHERE." which p'ed me off because I'm not finding BS Wave 2 hardly anywhere. They're actually sending MORE WAVE 1 to Targets this week!!!! All the while, driving for hours looking for a Black Widow. I HATE HATE HATE distribution.

Toylines come and go. I accept that. i don't know why JLU was given such a long leash, but oh well. They make some good figures, they just have to do better about getting them to stores. And on time. Not months after the TV show or movie has aired.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:51 am 
ABS

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
These arguments really start to feel like "it wasn't the ideal line that I WANTED, therefore they screwed it all up".

I just don't agree.

I really like what Mattel has tried to do. Not everything has been successful, and yes, I wish that there were some things that were handled differently along the way, but overall .... I'm happy with how my DC collection has grown.

I bought JLU and was very pleased with the end result.
I bought DCIH and was very pleased with the end result.
I bought DCUC (and all its offshoots) and was very pleased with the end result.
I bought Action League and was very pleased with the end result.

I've bought DC Barbies.
I've bought DC Hot Wheels.

I'm buying Total Heroes and am very happy with the figures' construction and price point. Let's see where it goes.
I've bought 2 Multiverse figures so far. I'm happy with those but if the line doesn't go "comic-centric" then it isn't for me and I'll most likely be very selective in what I buy.

Do I wish some of those lines were continuing today? Absolutely.
Do I think that they could've been handled better? In some aspects yes.

But we are talking about a small percentage of output from a very major corporation. To be honest, I'm surprised we've gotten as much product as we have.

And it really isn't fair to use MOTUC as a barometer for DC either. MOTUC is a wholly owned, in-house concept. DC is a LICENSE. License bring more overhead, less profit, more "hands in the pot", etc. It really is an apples and oranges comparison.

Yes, Mattel is #1 because of Barbie, Hot Wheels (and if you've never seen a Hot Wheels horde in action you are very lucky), and board games. They also own Fisher Price, most likely #1 in Pre-School toy sales as well. Everything else, including DC and MOTUC, are just drops in the bucket.

I think we, collectively, need to take a step back, breathe deep, and enjoy what we actually have gotten rather than just slam everything as it is made public simply because it isn't specifically catered to us personally.

... and just because Scott is the only "face" we have at Mattel does not mean that he has to be the Target of every attack.

Well you just like everything, it is obvious that it isn't hard to please you but with that you are in a very small minority. I bought all the lines you mentioned except for Action League and looking back the only line that still holds up for me is DCUC. A company who is out to sell a product has to respond to the market place. Continuing to make static figures for JLU just wasn't going to work. Combine that with constant re-selling of the core characters backfired. As for DCIH, they were bound to fail. Compare DCIH with Marvel's scaled figures and DCIH looked pathetic. Mattel made the same stupid blunder 30 years ago with Secret Wars and how they compared to the Super Powers line.....they offered and inferior product and suffered because of it. I don't hear Hasbro fans screaming problems with with Hasbro/Marvel comparing it with in-house products like GI JOE or Transformers to gauge the success and failure of a line. Only Mattel apologist do that for Mattel.

You can certainly compare DCUC to MOTUC. With the variables you mentioned you have to realize that DCUC was at retail and they sold a ton of those figures compared to the online sales of MOTUC. I am sure they made more money off DC than MOTUC. It is about investment, just because a line fails doesn't mean it is the consumers fault. It is just like in music, sometimes you have new management at a label and they invest in a different genre. Acts that were successful but not under the same interest as the new management get less promotion and attention and fail out. That is what happened with DC.

We all know that Mattel makes most of its money from Barbie and Hot Wheels, no one is denying that...the point I was making is that I seriously doubt that having the DC license doesn't generate big dollars and is worth investing in. Again I have never seen people poking through the cars section of the toy aisles....always guys in the figs aisle. Even most of the kids are in the figure aisles...mostly for wrestling though.

Yup, Scott is the face and voice but it is clear that even with his limitations his focus has always been in the promotion and continuation of MOTUC....it is his baby, most of his videos focused on the MOTUC and most of the figures displayed in the videos were MOTUC.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:10 am 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

I agree that distribution is a major problem, but it isn't our problem and it never should be. It is the company's problem. They want to make money, which means they must sell product, which means putting the product where buyers can get to it, and that is us. So far, Mattel has failed at this. Unfortunately, so has everyone else.

Scott put himself out there as the public face of Mattel deliberately. I don't know why, but if I had to guess, it would be job security. Thinking that as the go to guy, he would become indispensable to Mattel. Unfortunately some other big name people are finding out it doesn't always work. See: George Zimmer. If you have been watching, and no true toy geek should ever admit otherwise, Scott has appeared on Toy Hunter twice now, if not 3 times, which is at least twice as often as any other 'celebrity' that Jordan has tried to court. He is still making a public spectacle of himself in Mattel's name. If he did not want to have to deal with the potential negatives of that, he never should have done it. Leonard Nimoy will always be Mr. Spock, Carrie Fisher will always be Princess Leia, and Scott will always be Mr. 'Toy Guru' Mattel.

Die cast cars. I'm just not seing it. If people are buying them, it isn't when I am there, and I don't have a set time I go. To me that is a good aisle to cut thru to the other side because it is always empty.

Funny story. I drive a school bus. A few weeks ago I had 5th grade orchestra boys from another school on a field trip. On the way back 2 of them were reading signs out loud going down the freeway. I heard:
b1"Girls, girls, girls."
b2"Ew, I wouldn't want to go there."
b1"What kind of place is that?"
Teacher"That's a place just for girls."
Later
b1"Gentlemen's Club."
Teacher"See, there is a place for boys and a place for girls."
Now my regular 5th graders would never have fallen for that, and they are literally separated only by a freeway. Kind of makes you wonder. Will our kids be collectors and value their toys just because they saw us do it?

DCIH was the perfect baseline, but Mattel did not use it as such. Hasbro did better. Thor, Captain America, Iron Man, Spiderman, and Wolverine are all compatible with MU. Green Lantern, Young Justice, and Superman should have been compatible with DCIH. They don't need the same articulation (Although it would be nice), but keep the scale consistent and you will ultimately sell more figures.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:33 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Batman sells. Mattel got the DC license for him.

The rest of the DC? Moderate sales at best. Look at all the MOS merchandise still hanging around.

Maybe that will change once Warners gets off their @$$ and makes a cinematic universe to rival Marvel's.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:49 am 
ABS

MOS stuff sold well, just as much as any line. The problem if there is one is that there is an overstock, retailers ordered too much. For what it is worth there is a glut of IM stuff too. Not picking...just being honest about the observation. I still see MOS, IM, and a few Batman movie items in stores.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:01 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Iron Man 3, absolutely.

But Iron Man 2 sold very well and had a nice deep run with 30+ figures. In fact, I really wish IM3 had continued that quality. It's a bit ironic that the movie with the most armors had the crappiest toys to represent them. :evil:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:08 am 
ABS

IM 2 had 30+ figs? Do you mean across all the different lines? I only have the IM legends from the first movie so I am not aware of the others and how they hold up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:48 am 

The 3 3/4 inch scale, the one compatible with MU, had 30+ different armors including Guardsman, Titanium Man, and Crimson Dynamo, and 2 versions of Whiplash.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:02 am 
ABS

Wow, that is pretty impressive.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:11 pm 
MINT!

TRU is using an old prototype of DCIH 1989 Batman for their stock pic of Multiverse Batman

too bad we never got it

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... age=search

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:33 pm 
Cold-cast

Goldbug wrote:
TRU is using an old prototype of DCIH 1989 Batman for their stock pic of Multiverse Batman

too bad we never got it

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... age=search

Now that head sculpt looks like Michael Keaton. Much better than the multiverse figure that we have now

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:35 am 
An Insider

Great observation! It looks like a rough prototype compared to what was released. I do like the additional articulation and the hip joints on the released version. I hope that the next version of the DC Multiverse line will be focused on the comic book appearance of the characters.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:43 pm 
MINT!

Joeace it is the Infinite version!
Wasn't this listed as coming in that line at the end?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:16 pm 
An Insider

Goldbug wrote:
Joeace it is the Infinite version!
Wasn't this listed as coming in that line at the end?

Not that I know of. It's the first that I've heard about or seen it.
The unreleased Batman prototype that I saw was the Bob Kane styled First Appearance Batman.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:56 pm 

I saw a short on Youtube with BTAS fighting Batman Beyond and old Bruce in the Batcave. They defeat him to discover that he is a robot, then turn around to discover 7 more, each in the style of a different animated Batman. Now I have to admit, that would make a cool box set.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5791 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 383, 384, 385, 386, 387  Next