Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I have reached a crossroads in collecting DCSH/DCUC...Help!!
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:37 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Hello All...

Thanks for taking the time to look at my post and potentially offer your guidance and opinions.

I have a good size collection of DC Direct figures that I have been gathering for quite some time, but I have also been collecting the DCSH/DCUC figures as well. I am thinking of selling my DC Direct collection and keeping/collecting only DCSH/DCUC stuff due to the different sizes between some of the DC Direct and the DCSH/DCUC stuff in an attempt to have figures that are generally the same size and also due to the fantastic figures that the 4H are going with the DCUC figures.

Now the Dilema...

I am worried about some of the less obscure DC Direct figures (Green Lantern Corps, LOSH, Teen Titans, etc...) will not be made in the new DCUC line, but some of these figures stand head and shoulders above their DCUC brothers and sisters. I also have limited space for the figures to be displayed?

Am I being too anal? Anyone out there have similar thoughts?

BTW, I only collect loose figures....(probably figured that one out already huh?)

Take it easy on me....I am new to the message board thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:43 am 
Former King of Posts

First, welcome aboard.

Second, lots of us face the "out of shelf space issue". I rotate my collection betweeen boxes and the shelf.

And finally, a lot of us are looking at DCDirect vs DCUC and trying to figure out what to do. For everyone of us, its going to take some thinking. For me, at the investment I've made in DCDirect, there is no way I am going to sell them off and start over again. And I still own less than 30 of them. Its just a money thing. DCUC is very appealing. I know I will pick some up to fill in characters I never got around to buying. But certain things over the years have taught me not to worry about being a completist or scale crazy.

Hope you find a happy medium.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:22 am 
ABS

Welcome! Y'know, superfriend is right...it's a hard toss up. But what I did was sell my DCD and started from scratch, and I had quite a few DCD (most of the JLA, Justice, EMcG, LOTS of villains, etc...) But my point here is, think on it, and pretty hard too. I regret letting some figures go (MA Supes wave! arghhh!), so box them up, and see how it feels to have them gone.

At the very least, you could just pick and choose out of your DCD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:54 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Scale problems are the #1 reason why I don't buy any DC Direct. Hell, I can't even buy the Justice figures because I'd want the whole line and some are out of scale with each other.

It sucks, but that's what makes DCUC so much more appealing to me.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:21 am 
Knows his stuff

I would sell off a good bit of my DCDs if I thought I could at least make my $$$ back on them. I'm not trying to "get rich" off them but a few extra $$s would be nice.

Meanwhile...

I have pretty much stopped buying DCDs. I may pick up a few here and there but I'm not planning on it at this time.

I have mixed my DCD and DCUC villans together but that's temporary. Shelf space is becoming an issue as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:22 am 
Former King of Posts

Can you really get your money back? One of the reasons I own so few (>30) DCD is that when they initially came out, they were about 17$ each retail and 2 packs were 40$ each. While some retain their value, I doubt most do. I only got into DCD when I found some on the net for 9.99 plus shipping. These days I can get most new ones for 12.99 and some older ones for 9.99 at my local comic shop.

That said, I'm looking forward to getting the Eradicator when he arrives in the DCUC line. hopefully his appearance in DCUC will drive down his price in DCD, allowing me to pick up either one for much less than 17$.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:27 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Thanks for your replies...They are truly appreciated.

Presently I have approximately 50 to 60 DCD figures with an additional 20 to 25 DCUC/DCSH figures. They are presently all packed away in a rubbermade storage container as I have no place to display in my current home. I am married with 3 children in a home that is currently not at all conducive to displaying any of my figures, so I dont know what it will be like to "miss some of them"(great suggestion though). I will be able to display them upon moving into a bigger home in the near future.

As for the $$$ aspect of it...I dont really collect these for the money. If I get my money back or more that is cool....if not that is OK as well. That said, I want to get the most that I can for them.

I collect these because they remind me of simpler times in life. The belief in the heroes and the promise that they will triumph over the baddies.

(Sorry if this sounds cheesey, but that is what it means to me)

I guess I am trying to have my cake and eat it as well. I want the less obscure characters that DCD has made, but I dont want the size discrepancy between the two lines.

Ugh....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:32 am 
Prototype

I had about 30 DC Direct figures and I sold about half of them when DCUC was first announced. I like them SO much better. They really look great on the shelf together since they're all the same style. DC Direct has so many different lines it's really confusing. I have kept some DC Direct figures that look good with my DCUC display though (the HUSH figures look especially good with DCUC.) It's a good idea though to box up the figures you think you don't want and keep them a while before you sell them in case you change your mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:13 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

As for your DCD collection, just sell or get-rid of the ones already released in the DCSH/DCUC line. So that you won't get any "holes" in your updated collection... That way, even if DCUC doesn't produce those figures in the near future, you would still have them in the DCD line. (Hopefully you are not so particular with scale issues).

Having collected and still collecting the DCSH/DCUC line from the very start, I'm glad I never had that dilemma on choosing between the two lines.

But the DCUC line is very very promising! DC "UNIVERSE"... So, the possiblities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:07 am 
MINT!

riddler2403 wrote:
I had about 30 DC Direct figures and I sold about half of them when DCUC was first announced. I like them SO much better. They really look great on the shelf together since they're all the same style. DC Direct has so many different lines it's really confusing. I have kept some DC Direct figures that look good with my DCUC display though (the HUSH figures look especially good with DCUC.) It's a good idea though to box up the figures you think you don't want and keep them a while before you sell them in case you change your mind.

This is exactly what I did. With DCUC pretty much in full swing after whats been shown at Toy Fair and NYCC, it might be a little harder to unload some of the figures and make a buck or two. I took a bet back when the 4H and Mattel were working on getting the DCU licenese that they would pull it off, and sold most of my stuff at that time (luckily, it paid off).

That said, I also kept a couple of lines/series I felt DC Direct had actually, for the most part, completed. Lines like Hush, Comic Superman (the series with Cyborg Superman and Eradicator) stayed within the style and scale of each other thankfully, so I saw no reason to let them go as they were story specific. Also held on to any GL stuff.

But besides that, the rest went bye bye, as DCUC was what I always wanted out of DC Direct. A McG Captain Atom displayed next to a Jim Lee Batman doesn't work for this picky, anal-retentive fan ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:34 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Toy_Z wrote:
picky, anal-retentive fan

My brutha from anutha mutha! :D

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:49 pm 
active in the community

Hey Jacen welcome to the boards... I am in a similar spot. I don't have as many DC Direct figures as others on the board but I decided to go forward with DCU and keep the DCD figures I really like (for example the Original Martian Manhunter DCD release). I have been collecting the Justice League line from DCD but will stop now that DCU is really turning out some beautiful figures and it appears they are trying to follow some of the figures that were released as part of the old Super Powers line (though I doubt we will see a Samurai or Golden Pharaoh any time soon but one can dream!) Anyway good luck with your collection and enjoy it!
GOOD HUNTING!

become a fan:[url]http://www.facebook.com/pages/HDS-Collectibles-Hangin-Loose-Figures/372358094154
[/url]
Thank You and GOOD HUNTING!

Post subject: Re: I have reached a crossroads in collecting DCSH/DCUC...He
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:18 pm 
Knows his stuff

JacenLewis wrote:
Am I being too anal?

hehe...welcome to the boards!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:25 pm 
Former King of Posts

Hangin_loose_figures wrote:
it appears they are trying to follow some of the figures that were released as part of the old Super Powers line (though I doubt we will see a Samurai or Golden Pharaoh any time soon but one can dream!)

Considering "Golden Pharoh" only exists as a figure in the Kenner line, and has no links to DC itself, I would not expect to see that character in any DC line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:54 pm 
Prototype

superfriend wrote:
Hangin_loose_figures wrote:
it appears they are trying to follow some of the figures that were released as part of the old Super Powers line (though I doubt we will see a Samurai or Golden Pharaoh any time soon but one can dream!)

Considering "Golden Pharoh" only exists as a figure in the Kenner line, and has no links to DC itself, I would not expect to see that character in any DC line.

Yeah, though it would be awesome to get a Samauri. I doubt he'd be made either though.