Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:09 am 
Hat Pooper

Wikipedia: In the Justice League Unlimited episode entitled "Initiation," an unknown creature aboard the Justice League Watchtower who is never identified looks remarkably similar to the Swamp Thing. Swamp Thing also has a small cameo at a cantina in the episode "Comfort and Joy," which first aired December 13, 2003. Swamp Thing can also be seen on a poster in the episode "Wake the Dead."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:19 am 
Loose, Missing Package

DanMan wrote:
It's been awhile since I saw it, but as I recall the Swamp Thing on JLU rumor was because there was some creature in the background of one episode (and not on the Watchtower as I recall) who resembled him. I was skeptical, didn't think it looked much like him. That and DC banned the use of Vertigo characters on the show from what I heard. I definitely wouldn't call him a team member, even if the animation team thought he'd be fun to slip into the background.

I could be wrong though, where are you thinking he showed up? I can't even remember which episode.

There's a large green "lump" of a character in one of the group shots in "Initiation"...

...then as the Wiki entry says there's a yellowish-green alien which looks a lot like him in "Comfort and Joy". Didn't know about the "Wake the Dead" thing, tho'...

cowmuf wrote:
Does anyone know if all the Forever People appeared in Twilight?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:48 am 
Damage Control

Did I miss Mera on the list? :?:

http://www.kevenn.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:04 am 
My heart is of low-durometer PVC

Here are some screen caps of Swampy from "Comfort & Joy" and the poster in the kid's room from "Wake the Dead":

D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:57 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

I said months ago that Swamp Thing had appeared and was summarily dismissed. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for the vindication lol.

Someone should show that to ToyGuru. Because I think I read in an interview somewhere that he didn't think Swamp Thing had appeared. If that ain't Swamp Thing, I'll give up Goodman Burgers for life. :D

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:16 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

How did Spellbinder not make the list?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:54 pm 
Hat Pooper

Spellbinder wasn't in JL or JLU.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:48 pm 
Factory Worker

Jim_Abell wrote:
DanMan wrote:
It's been awhile since I saw it, but as I recall the Swamp Thing on JLU rumor was because there was some creature in the background of one episode (and not on the Watchtower as I recall) who resembled him. I was skeptical, didn't think it looked much like him. That and DC banned the use of Vertigo characters on the show from what I heard. I definitely wouldn't call him a team member, even if the animation team thought he'd be fun to slip into the background.

I could be wrong though, where are you thinking he showed up? I can't even remember which episode.

There's a large green "lump" of a character in one of the group shots in "Initiation"...

...then as the Wiki entry says there's a yellowish-green alien which looks a lot like him in "Comfort and Joy". Didn't know about the "Wake the Dead" thing, tho'...

cowmuf wrote:
Does anyone know if all the Forever People appeared in Twilight?

Man that is an amazing screen capture. I am amazed at how many ??? characters that there are. I think I might be able to identify the mostly white character to the right of the screen as Max Mercury although that's mainly a guess. The big green guy in the middle does appear to be Swamp Thing...I don't know who else it could be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:22 pm 
Fugitive Dust

Fantastic list, cowmuf. Thank you for taking the time to create it and share. Nice job man.

Not to ruffle feathers of opinion, but I'm betting your list for tailored to those figures mass released to the general public. Though causing much consternation, Hal Jordan is an official release (just a much more controlled and directed private release).

I'd have him bolded, then perhaps asterisked?

-Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:37 pm 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

But to play devil's advocate, the Hal Jordan was never available for purchase. It's really just an internal promo item. My definition of what counts as part of a toy line only includes items that could have been purchased by someone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:44 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Alcatraz wrote:
Man that is an amazing screen capture. I am amazed at how many ??? characters that there are. I think I might be able to identify the mostly white character to the right of the screen as Max Mercury although that's mainly a guess. The big green guy in the middle does appear to be Swamp Thing...I don't know who else it could be.

Well some of those characters are pure guesses as to who they're intended to be. I did notice just a hour or so back that one of them I have listed as "???" is actually Hourman (right behind Fire and Red Tornado at the front of the crowd).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:10 pm 
Fugitive Dust

xrmc20 wrote:
But to play devil's advocate, the Hal Jordan was never available for purchase. It's really just an internal promo item. My definition of what counts as part of a toy line only includes items that could have been purchased by someone.

Sure, I can see that point xrmc20. :)

The Hal Jordan figure wasn't technically a promotional item, but a 'thank you' gift. And it was given out to people in 3 different operational companies; Mattel, DC Comics and Warner Animation. A controlled release, but certainly a release (outside of just Mattel). The head was sculpted, tooling made, and it was produced in Asia (testshots have surfaced). And the Hal WAS available for purchase. Just cost a heck of alot to buy one from those giftees who sold their's...but available nonetheless (although not widely available)

This is an interesting topic! But Id' argue that if, for example, a person happened to own a Hal Jordan, they'd consider him officially a Mattel Justice League figure. But it seems like alot of people who don't own one, think he technically doesn't count. But ownership can't really be the determiner.

I guess it's a matter of how a list like this is defined. Is it: All Justice League Individual Character Figures Manufactured by Mattel? Or...All JL Individual Character Figures Manufactured By Mattel AND Released At Retail Stores?

Good discussion!

-Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:05 pm 
Mattel Mogul

Oh we are well aware of Swamp Thing's "unoffical" appearance on Comfort and Joy. The offical word from WB is that is not Swamp Thing but an Alien that just happens to look a bit like our marshy friend.

If we did do Swamp Thing for JLU, he we be a newly created character similar to how we are doing Firestorm and Plastic Man in late 2009.

But good list though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:06 pm 
Hat Pooper

Thanks ToyGuru!

jtd, as far as I'm concerned, if he wasn't released, he doesn't count. He falls in the same category as a prototype - they made a few, only people on the inside had access to them, and he never saw general release. Do you count the unreleased Super Powers figures as part of that line?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:22 pm 
5th Horseman

Boy, you know... if we keep supporting this line and it continues to do as well as it has, another two years of figures, and they'll run out of choices and pretty much have to make just about every major figure a collector would want... for the most part!

*Patiently waiting for my Flash Rogues, S.T.R.I.P.E., Crimson Avenger, Speedy, Classic Robin, Classic Aquaman, Guy Gardner, Blue Beetle, and Hal.* 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next