Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed May 04, 2016 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Does anyone else .....
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:35 am 
Peg Hanger

feel bad for Mattel ? Their products are not moving nearly as fast as they used to and it seems like they just burned so many bridges with collectors meanwhile Hasbro is just killing it and is able to make some crazy obscure characters,offer some really nice economy exclusives and is still going on both 6 inch and 4 inch scale. Mattel just can not get a toy line to stick at all. Just curious if anyone else sees it too?

Post subject: Re: Does anyone else .....
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:46 am 
not exactly street legal

They did well with JLU in the beginning because of the universal body typing.
Small, medium and large interchangeable bodies.

Too bad they didn't reuse those bodies for other show toy-lines.
They started doing Batman Beyond and others in the JLU line, but they
should have packaged them as a separate line altogether, That way they
would have made bigger profits and expanded they toy lines with existing toy molds,
thus lessening their expenses.

DC animated movie charaters
Batman Beyond
The New Adventures of Batman the animated series
Superman the animated series
Green Lantern the animated series
Zeta Project

AFi Positive Feedback: +210

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:46 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

I think it's still too early to tell. As the movie gets closer and opens I think that will tell more of the story. Granted, I don't go out on toy runs like I used to but there doesn't seem to be much out there, yet. Oddly, TRU is probably the best stocked retailer for DC stuff at the moment around here.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:33 pm 
Displays Backwards

I blame DC Entertainment for pushing Mattel off track. When DC had Mattel change their release formula for DCUC the line bombed out. Also having Mattel make the same characters that DC Collectibles recently released, like TV Green Arrow and Flash, hurts Mattels sales.

Lack of retailer interest in slow selling lines like 4" Batman Unlimited and 4" DC Multiverse figures, may cause some of the planned figures to be cancelled.

I also think that Mattel's small assortments of 4 characters per wave is clogging the pegs faster than if collectors had 8 characters to collect per wave. DCUC used to have at least 6 characters per wave plus variants or All-Stars packed in the case as well.

I really hope that Mattel gets back on track this year with the DC figures.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:25 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

All my figure buying is done with my 3 year old son, niece and nephew in mind so I'd say the opposite. I find the Imaginext range so much more fun than the Playskool Marvel and Star Wars equivalents. In fact the Playskool stuff annoys the hell out of me because their previous ranges like Superhero Squad and Galactic Heroes had much better ranges of characters and even included women! The new Jedi Force sets have playsets like Deathstar Escape, Jabba's Palace Rescue and Mission on Endor, none of which include a Leia figure. A character who was somewhat integral to the plot of those storylines. Imaginext isn't exactly an equal opportunities toy line either, far from it, and Santa had to supply customised Batgirl and Supergirl figures to our house this year. But with no females in the Star Wars lines of this size and only a hard to find Black Widow in the Marvel line, being able to pick up Wonder Woman, Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn and various Catwoman figures in most shops feels like a vast improvement.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:41 am 
Former King of Posts

joeace wrote:
I blame DC Entertainment for pushing Mattel off track. When DC had Mattel change their release formula for DCUC the line bombed out.

When did DC have Mattel change their release formula. Can we pinpoint with which wave the change happened? Very interested in details like this.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:51 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I don't know which was the EXACT moment, but I know it happened very close to or just before the DCUC Blackest Night wave.

It was discussed here in some of the old and now defunct DCUC threads if I recall correctly.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:25 pm 
Displays Backwards

superfriend wrote:
joeace wrote:
I blame DC Entertainment for pushing Mattel off track. When DC had Mattel change their release formula for DCUC the line bombed out.

When did DC have Mattel change their release formula. Can we pinpoint with which wave the change happened? Very interested in details like this.

DCUC Series 1 to 16 had a variety of DC Characters from all over the DCU, assorted in each wave.

February 2010, DC Entertainment leadership staff is appointed. DC has Mattel change their release formula to feature themed assortments. As you may know, it takes about 1 year for Mattel to work on the figures and get them to market.

Series 17 (June 2011) was the first DCUC "themed" wave featuring the multi-colored Lantern figures. The assortment featured characters already released by DC Direct earlier that year. It also followed the release of the Green Lantern Classics figures that were still available at retail.

Series 18 (August 2011) was a Super Powers and Suicide Squad themed wave.

Series 19 (September 2011) was the Justice Society themed wave.

The pegs were filled with the unwanted characters through Christmas.

Series 20 (January 2012) had some more Lantern related characters and some Titans and Green Arrow.

Series 21 (August 2012) The last wave, was a short wave of 4 figures that had the first New 52 designs in DCUC style. The New 52 figures would later continue in the DC Unlimited series.

The Lantern assault was not over. In October 2012, Toys R Us had the exclusive DCUC 2-pack of Yellow Lantern Hal Jordan and Blue Lantern Kyle Rayner. This 2-pack sat on TRU shelves for years in some stores.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:15 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Don't forget the planned change to move away from "wave" releases after wave 20, the one that would've included the four figures that did get released in wave 21 plus the unreleased re-issue of Steel, Flashpoint Plastic Man and the black costume re-paint of Supergirl. I remember that planned change was specifically attributed to DC when it was announced.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:59 am 
Former King of Posts

Interesting. I knew 17 and 18 were a big divide amongst collectors. But I felt 16 was a Batman wave, more themed than some had been in the past.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:15 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I hated waves 17 and 18. I bought one figure (Bronze Tiger) out of the two waves. Wave 19 was my second favorite wave after wave 14. But it did seem as though figures were being made with Geoff Johns in mind. IIRC, it seemed like Neitlich had a man crush on Johns.

I'm not sure we'll ever get back to the glory days of waves 1-16. But it is nice to see product on the shelf again. Hopefully we can cherry pick some good stuff that's not based on TV, movies, or games. I've realized lately that I can quite easily do Multiverse characters. Kingdom Come, Red Son, Flashpoint, Tangent, more DKR, Generations, Gotham by Gaslight, New Frontier, and more. And it gives Mattel an easy excuse to redo Superman and Batman in interesting ways. Which is what they really wanna do anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:04 pm 
declined to be a vampire

PBateman wrote:
feel bad for Mattel ? Their products are not moving nearly as fast as they used to and it seems like they just burned so many bridges with collectors meanwhile Hasbro is just killing it and is able to make some crazy obscure characters,offer some really nice economy exclusives and is still going on both 6 inch and 4 inch scale. Mattel just can not get a toy line to stick at all. Just curious if anyone else sees it too?

To be fair...is Hasbro really killing it?

While I'm not actively buying figures, I still go to the toy sections and Marvel Legends are constantly warming the pegs around here. new stuff isn't coming in.

The HulkBuster wave hit a walmart near me in full about 2 months ago, and they've never moved

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:40 am 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Mattel has some nice figures tho...