Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: SDCC 2015: MOTUC thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:01 pm 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

All the news and updates from SDCC 2015 for the MOTUC line ...

Please keep all SDCC related news, images, and discussion in this thread. This will be updated as information is released!

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

Post subject: Re: SDCC 2015: MOTUC thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:40 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

August - Mara of Primus (monthly), Evil Seed (200x), Buzz Saw Hordak (quarterly)
September - Saurod (monthly), King Chooblah (200x)
October - Perfuma (monthly), Ceratus (200x), Flying Fists He-Man vs Terror Claws Skeletor (quarterly)
November - Dragstor (monthly), Queen Grayskull (200x), Point Dread/Talon Fighter (out-of-sub)
December - Dare (monthly), Prahvus (200x), Laser Power He-Man vs Laser Light Skeletor (holiday)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:12 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:42 am 
Loose, Missing Package

http://toynewsi.com/ig.php?mode=album&d ... 0&sl=24997

http://news.toyark.com/2015/07/10/sdcc- ... tes-167747

Looks like next year will be Filmation heavy (in a very good way)...

New branding will be "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" with new (seemingly larger) packaging

Point Dread and Talon Fighter w/ Teela 2.0 (Nov - Teela comes with two heads, Filmation and pilot helmet Filmation)

Collectors' Choice - packaging will apparently stay similar for this sub
Lord Masque (Jan)
Vultak (does not come with Kowl) (Mar)
Darius (May - the only vintage figure of the bunch)
Crita (Jul)
General Sundar (Sep)
Horde Wraith (Nov)
Despera (Jun - sub only - will come with Adora and Hordak-esque heads)
Night Stalker (May)
Tuskador (Nov)

Power-Con Exclusives (Jun -only available at the show)
Granamyr (green)
Beast Man (red)
Kobra Khan (camo)

A-List sub (apparently this line gets the new packaging - all done in Filmation styling - doesn't appear to have any larger items)
He-Man 2.0 (Feb)
Trap-Jaw 2.0 (Apr)
Skeletor 2.0 (Jun)
Beast Man 2.0 (Aug)
Evil-Lyn 2.0 (October)
Clawful 2.0 (December)
Evil Seed 2.0 (Feb - sub only)

Snake Mountain is coming (the Horsemen have it sculpted - comparison shot is HUGE, it towers over the new Grayskull - is a combination of classic and 200x - will have a smart phone app to use as a microphone to a built-in Bluetooth speaker)

Minis multipack with Snake Mountain, regular Skeletor, She-Ra, Jistu, Webstor, Mekanek and 3 Horde Troopers

pricing going down slightly, $24 per month sub figures/$27 per month day of sale

Mega Blocks Castle Grayskull on display to gauge interest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:47 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

I think they made a good choice splitting the two subs up, not everyone is going to want 2.0s and not everyone is going to want animation-only characters. Where I think they're screwing up is by not having them overlap. Yes, I know it will be more expensive every-other-month for people who buy in to both subs, but the combined shipping having two at once would make a lot more sense. Not that that would work if someone also had Thundercats as that seems to be a 6 month end-of-year sub...

I wonder why the A-List sub isn't being offered right now?

Guessing that black and red He-Man is Negative He-Man from one of the vintage German releases, probably next year's chase figure or maybe an exclusive for the German convention...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:48 am 
Loose, Missing Package

The Mattypalooza panel courtesy of Pixel-Dan...

Pixel-Dan's walk-through with Brandon...

If you watched the panel I'm sure that you just knew that the word "transparency" was going to bite them in the butt real quick... The Matty forums are a fire with people ticked off over the Power-Con exclusives (one even started a change.org petition...) and demanding to know where Hssss's snake form is going to be included, both groups emphasizing "transparency" over the situations... Haven't been by the .org forums, yet, but I'm sure it's probably a mess over there, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:00 am 
PVC

I am pretty sure I can't afford the Snake Mountain playset because of space and money. however, do you guys think Mattel will sell the Skeleton throne by itself at some point? coz I want that!!! I know, I'm hoping for too much.
The filmation versions of He-Man and Skeletor are to die for. I am totally in love.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:46 am 
Loose, Missing Package

79Bats wrote:
I am pretty sure I can't afford the Snake Mountain playset because of space and money. however, do you guys think Mattel will sell the Skeleton throne by itself at some point? coz I want that!!! I know, I'm hoping for too much.
The filmation versions of He-Man and Skeletor are to die for. I am totally in love.

I imagine that there will be an enterprising caster out there who will make copies. Who knows, maybe the Hong Kong guys will find a "missing" production run of those...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:05 pm 
PVC

Jim_Abell wrote:
79Bats wrote:

I imagine that there will be an enterprising caster out there who will make copies. Who knows, maybe the Hong Kong guys will find a "missing" production run of those...

That's a great idea. It didn't cross my mind at all. I'm gonna have to setup an ebay search with a reminder for that.
Thank you, Jim.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:47 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Here's what Matty offerings will look like through the end of next year from the info we have now...

(I did forget to note that the green Granamyr, red Beast Man and camo Kobra Khan will *only* be sold at Power Con, Matty will not be selling those)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:44 am 
Loose, Missing Package

With the news about how King Hsss's alternate torso being released on top of no Early Access for subscribers on the SDCC items and the outrage some are feeling over the exclusives that are being made for PowerCon that won't be sold on MattyCollector afterward the boards at the .org and MattyCollector are a bit heated right now... There is a lot of hyberbole and venom-spewing going on but there are quite a few people making good points, as well... I chipped in with my two cents...

Quote:
The way I'm looking at it is that the piece didn't cost out to be packed in with the two-pack, that's fine... I understand that. Being told that it would be packed with another subscription item is fine, will still be getting it. Being told that it didn't cost out to be packed with the figure it was supposed to be packed with, not okay. Once that piece no longer "cost in" with the two-pack that cost should have been spread across the entire sub and not just a single figure. That may not be the way Mattel normally calculates cost per SKU but taking 20-30 cents out of the profit margin of each item in the sub (that would give them between $3.40 and $5.10 over the year) could surely have paid for the piece without the need to create an out-of-sub item.

At this point the new pack must already be in production so I don't see them changing it back to it just being an extra torso. Like others have suggested, replace Hordak or Dare with this pack and sell that figure out-of-sub. Even if they pulled Hordak at this late date the vintage line could still be "completed" in 2015, it's not like Rotar and Twistoid were part of the sub, either. I doubt there would be anyway that Hsss could actually replace Hordak in next month's sale, but there's no reason subscribers couldn't hold on to those funds until Hsss was ready for release, we'd still be paying the same amount when all was said and done, it's just that that payment would get shifted on the calendar.

I know that the mark-up at Walmart is almost 50% of the cost we pay and it's safe to say that it's around that number at all retailers considering how close pricing tends to be. I know that profit margins have to be thinner on MattyCollector stuff considering these are very limited run toys compared to retail items and that they have to pay Digital River their cut. I'm certain that Mattel isn't making the retailers' 50% on top of their normal profit margin on these but, still, there is no logical reason that one piece could be so complex that it couldn't come in under a $3-$5 cost to Mattel and, like I said above, taking 20-30 cents out of the profit of each sub item sold for the entire year isn't going to break them...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:29 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

I guess I can see the complaints-- but its being released as another actual figure with the parts to display both at the same time-- that's usually not the option and we (as collectors would have to buy two anyway)-- and this way you don't have to buy a second two pack for one figure-- actually seems like a win/win... At least they are releasing it and not cancelling it outright.

Now maybe Mattel could soothe some collectors and their promises by selling it at a reduced cost or offering a coupon or discount on future purchase, but seems like an okay overall solution to me..

I mean Jim, aren't you already scouring the world for extra bodies for the 'head" pack coming, honestly it seems like mattel is helping you out here (although them profiting from it I understand promises... (but then again-- as I complained before its never actually been listed what you were totally getting in the subscription)..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:51 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Thing is that I've already bought that second two-pack (with that nice day-of-sale shipping added) waiting for the snake torso to arrive (there are several people in the .org thread saying the same thing). It's not really that it's even coming as a separate figure for a lot of those complaining, myself included. It's that the torso was stated over and over again that it would be packed with a sub item and now it's not and if someone there drops the ball on early access again... Adding insult to injury is that they've admitted that it was supposed to be packed in with Buzz Saw Hordak which seems to be the one figure no one really wanted, vintage re-do or not. If they swap out this new Hsss with Hordak, they still keep both promises - the torso is packed with a sub item and the vintage line is complete because they didn't guarantee that all of the vintage re-dos would be in the sub. Of course that would mean Mattel ending up with a lot of Hordaks in the warehouse...

You know me, normally I'm a roll-with-the-flow guy, it is what it is... But after dropping early access for the SDCC items with no warning (and not even bothering to properly announce the actual sale) and then getting this news... I'm kinda irked at the moment...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:20 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I guess that's the danger of showing people things so far in advance, especially when they haven't figured out the mechanics of the release. If there had been no mention of the snake body in the past and this just came out in the quarterly figure slot, there wouldn't be this vitriol. People would be willingly paying for the figure. Given the size of this "accessory," its engineering and paint apps, if they couldn't price it in with the original two-pack it was supposed to come with, what made them think they could cost it in with an individual figure?

Now that we have seen the Snake Mountain we could have gotten, a reduced size playset will always feel inferior. They should have just packed the King Hsss snake form with Snake Mountain.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:43 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Wildcard wrote:
Now that we have seen the Snake Mountain we could have gotten, a reduced size playset will always feel inferior. They should have just packed the King Hsss snake form with Snake Mountain.

Aw, man... I'm not sure I would ever open the .org forums again if they packed that torso in with a $300-$400 playset... yikes...