Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun May 29, 2016 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 2016 Ghostbusters
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:05 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

They apparently didn't have anything of the kids' line on display but they did show the movie masters -- the 4 'busters, a new 6"-ish Stay-Puft, what looks to be the logo come to "life" and a winged "demon".

Post subject: Re: 2016 Ghostbusters
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:21 pm 
An Insider

Any word on how these will be available? Genuine, actual retail? Store exclusives? Or some ridiculous Matty scam?

C.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:29 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Saw another pic that had the logo ghost and Stay-Puft with a $10 price point. Haven't heard how but with it being a "movie year" I wouldn't be surprised if the Ghostbusters are for retail.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:36 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Still doesn't explain a whole lot but we now know the toys will hit in May, the four 'busters each come with a piece of a ghost and the minis will come in 3-packs and blind bags.

There are spoilers in the video, seems like a major, major spoiler but the toys will be out in May completely spoiling things ahead of time anyway if that's the case...

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:44 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

The new toys were street dated for yesterday but I didn't find any until today. There are the $20 figures of the new Ghostbusters which are pretty much identical to the classic ones we've been getting on Matty and there are $10 light-up ghosts. So far that's all I've seen of merch but the local store doesn't always get everything out right away, either.

The $10 assortment seems to ship in a case of 8 with two of each ghost (or maybe a case of 4 with one of each, not sure, but either way they're even packed at the moment). There's Rowan, the "villain" of the new movie who lights up red, Mayhem, a sort of demon looking thing which, I think, lights up green and two versions of Mr. Stay-Puft - happy that lights up white and cranky/toasty which lights up red. Those are really meant to be used with the blind-bag mini-figures but I'll be getting them to go with the Movie Masters. I have a feeling those Stay-Pufts will be very popular. The one odd thing I noticed was that the case had a mix of English-only and quad-lingual packaging.

I picked up the Erin Gilbert (Kristen Wiig) figure since she comes with Rowan's legs so I'll have a place to build from with the CNC. From what I can tell, she seems to be articulated exactly like the classic GBs except the neck is not a ball joint nor are the wrists. Not sure why they didn't do the ball socket neck but the sleeves are pushed up mid-forearm on these so the slight ball movement that the classic GBs got wouldn't look right here. The neck turns left and right, pin/disc shoulders, pin/disc elbows, swivel forearms, waist turn, DCUC-style hips, thigh swivel, pin knees, pin ankles and foot rockers. The surprising part is that the proton pack is removable and it slides on and off with ease. Wondering if the Walmart wave of classic GBs will use the removable pack molds... So far, my biggest gripe is with the CNC as they forgot to put peg holes in the feet (one of my continuing gripes with toy lines...) They seem to ship in a case of six with Wiig and McCarthy's characters packed 2 per. Guess I'll be picking up Holtzman next since she comes with Rowan's body.

Will try to grab a classic GB from storage in the next day or two and post some photos of them together if no one beats me to it.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:14 pm 
Brand Manager

Someone has already found the classic Ghostbusters at Walmart, repacked with the new Ghostbusters logo BAF. Here's a pic of Venkman someone posted on Facebook. Hard to tell from the photo, but it looks identical to the original Mattycollector GBs with no new paint apps and the same old non-removable proton pack....

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=57B4303D

Easy pass for me. I'm not going to purchase Mattel's GBs again just for that lame BAF. I've already commited to upgrading to the DST Ghostbusters instead anyway. Kind of funny how after all these years Mattel has finally offered these at mass retail. I wonder how well the sales numbers will be for these repackaged classic GBs. Probably not good enough to convince them to offer more characters in their classic GB line.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:20 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

That's pretty much the reason those are Walmart exclusives, nothing (much) new to create and charge the same price as the new stuff (pretty much the same reason that 4-pack was sold at TRU). Can't imagine them offering anything new through Walmart and considering that the Ramis tribute figure is still available at MC I'd say there will be nothing there either. That said, can you imagine the uproar if this film ends up a massive blockbuster moving tons of toys and they make the new Ecto-1 in 1:12 scale after the attempt to get the classic one made?

The thing I find odd about the new line(s) is the lack of Slimer and Kevin. I have to wonder... will they be in an SDCC pack?...

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:49 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

The McCarthy fig looks closer to Jeanne Garofalo , in case you guys want to do a custom Bowler figure.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:36 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

Found the ghost wave at target also, they are currently priced in their system at 9.99, toys r us was 19.99 so I dont know which is correct..

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 5:21 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

shabbyblue wrote:
Hard to tell from the photo, but it looks identical to the original Mattycollector GBs with no new paint apps and the same old non-removable proton pack....

Found the classics for the first time today and, believe it or not, they are the versions with the removable packs. The CNC No-Ghost ghost is a lot bigger than I expected it to be but it doesn't really do anything but just "float" on a flying stand. I started to get an Egon today since he comes with the base to build the figure on but the only one in the store had glasses that looked like they were taken from a Dali painting. Hopefully that was just an isolated incident of bad QC and not how all of them are...

They also had the kids' proton pack and what looked to be two different assortments of the blind bag minis, the new Ecto-1 that is scaled to those and some containers of Slime that come with a mini and allows you to slime the figure without getting the stuff everywhere. Also a Hot Wheels 2-pack of the new Ecto-1 and Ecto-2 (Kevin's motorcycle).

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:37 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Didn't they say it was more likely for us to get a 6" scale Ecto-1 if there was a movie?
Guessing they didn't take this opportunity. :cry:

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:57 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Wildcard wrote:
Didn't they say it was more likely for us to get a 6" scale Ecto-1 if there was a movie?
Guessing they didn't take this opportunity. :cry:

Yeah, but at that time it was still expected to be a proper Ghostbusters 3 and not a re-boot with a different Ecto-1.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:18 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I'd like to get the original Ecto-1 but I wouldn't mind getting the new one too.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:08 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Wildcard wrote:
I'd like to get the original Ecto-1 but I wouldn't mind getting the new one too.

Yeah, the new design isn't bad (certainly keeps the feel of the old even if the car is 20+ years newer) but I doubt we'll see it this year, they seemed to have played it very safe with merchandise. *If* the film turns into a huge success and sells tons of toys maybe we'll get one with the sequel.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:38 am 
Brand Manager

Mattel will start revealing their SDCC exclusives tomorrow (Friday 5/20). Among them is a Ghostbusters exclusive. Probably something from the new reboot movie unfortunately.

http://news.toyark.com/2016/05/19/matte ... ves-204730